Sig P290RS Misfires - Light Strikes

weagle83

Any one else having issures with the Sig P290RS with misfires? We picked one up for my wife but after a little shooting, we had 12-14 misfires, or light strikes, on about 135 rounds varying between 3 different ammo brands (all brand name). Most misfires would fire on a restrike but some took multiple restrikes. Not the firing percentage I was looking for in a self defense weapon. I called Sig and their customer service was very good, immediately arranged for paid shipment back to the factory....which made me wonder if they were hearing a lot of this problem.

I had the same issue with an XDS 9mm. The round wasn't being fully chambered due to cheap ammo. Once I switched up ammo everything was fine. But being that you say 3 different ammo types this doesn't seem to be your problem. If it's brand new the spring could be a little tight in your guide rail. Try some +P ammo and see if you have the same problem.

Edit: I Googled some issues for the P290RS, I really can't find anyone with the same problem, most are saying they function flawlessly just a heavy trigger. If you still have the same issue with +P and your grip isn't obstructing the slide (can happen on these nano's) then send it back.

Last edited:
I shot 25 rounds of Hornady +P Critical Defense with 3 misfires. The 135 rounds fired have been with 4 different people, 1 of which is a gunsmith that shoots competitively. There were misfires with all 4 people so I don't think it could be much in the grip. It should arrive back at Sig in N.H. today. Thanks for the input.

As a follow-up, I received my P290RS back from Sig and just yesterday had a chance to test it out.
It went through about 60 rds. of 3 different ammo brands with no misfires (light strikes). Seems to be working fine so far.

Same problem

As a follow-up, I received my P290RS back from Sig and just yesterday had a chance to test it out.
It went through about 60 rds. of 3 different ammo brands with no misfires (light strikes). Seems to be working fine so far.

did sig replace any parts of the weapon?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back