Shooting low

ffrandy

I recently went to the range, using my glock 19, bersa thunder 9, and bersa 380. With the Glock and Thunder 9 shots were at 6 o clock, with the 380 dead on. I looked at that target that analyzes and it said breaking wrist or drooping head. My question is what does that mean and how to correct it. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using USA Carry mobile app

Considering that you're low with the higher powered cartridges I would begin by figuring out if you're anticipating the recoil in the 9mm firearms. Breaking your wrist means that you are tipping the barrel down during your firing motion by "breaking" the angle of your wrist or dipping the barrel down. Be sure that you are keeping your wrist firm during the shot and only moving your trigger finger. Breaking your wrist is an inherent part of anticipating the recoil, you will drop the barrel down as you prepare for the shot. You can see if this is the case by loading an empty cartridge into a magazine; if you get to the blank load and see that you're dipping the barrel down as you squeeze the trigger, you will know that you are anticipating and can cure it with practice. Dry fire practice will also help your trigger mechanics and if you practice by sighting on a small object you can see if you are moving the barrel during trigger release.

When it comes to drooping your head, try to keep your head straight and in line with your back. Try pretending as though there is a metal plate or rod running from your head down your neck and back. Hopefully this helps.

It could be you are jerking the trigger. I would have someone watch as you carefylly and slowly press the trigger until it breaks. Doing that isn't as easy as it sounds. Watch how hard you are gripping the gun. If you are "death gripping" it is likely too much and causing your gun to dip.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using USA Carry mobile app

A simple test would be to try next time at the range is repeat what you just posted about, and then if results are the same, try shooting from a pistol rest, most ranges will ether let you use theres or rent you one, then if your results improve you will know, you are ether anticipating recoil, or jerking the trigger, causing the gun to shoot low, as while not impossible, while they may be (compact) I have both of the 9mms you have, I seem to do a little better with the Glock but I'v shot it a lot more, and I doubt the sights are off the same amount on both guns

Another simple thing to check is that you are getting the correct sight picture with the Glock and the Bersa 9.

All the above posts are good possibilities of what may be happening.

Next time you are at the range, have a friend load your magazine with a couple of dummy rounds so you won't know when they are coming. Have your friend watch what you are doing when you fire this mag. When you get to a dummy round and squeeze the trigger, the firearm should stay perfectly level. If it doesn't and it dips, you are either anticipating recoil which can be corrected or you are slapping the trigger, which can be corrected as well. Your friend should be able to see what is happening. Remember, these words when squeezing the trigger.... 1/4 lb, 1/4 lb, 1/4 lb of force until you get a surprise fire. You never want to anticipate the shot or force it to come.

If it stays level yet you are still experiencing low shots, then I would explore the grip. The video in post #3 by opiegump is very good.

If all else fails, let someone you know is a very good shot, shoot it. There are times certain guns shoot low or high or side to side. Last but not least, it could be your sights if you are doing everything else correctly.

Give us an update when you figure out a resolution to your particular situation.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back