Purchasing Gun Online While Waiting For CCW Permit?

boilernole

Hello All.

I completed a CCW course this evening and plan to head to the Polk County Sheriff's Office tomorrow to apply for my CCW permit. I'm not sure how long it will take to receive my permit (I've heard some people say the full 30 days?), but I've already found the handgun that I'd like to purchase online. That being said, am I allowed to purchase the gun online and have it delivered to the FFL even though I do not yet have my permit? I obviously won't be able to pick it up until I receive my permit, but I was hoping that I could at least get it delivered to that location so it will be ready for me when my permit arrives. Any help is appreciated; thanks!

You can still buy the gun. If your permit doesn't arrive in time, they'll just run a background and you'll have to wait 3 days to pick it up. No big deal.

I am in Scott County (quad cities), the sheriffs office took my pic and gave me my permit within 30 minutes of applying.

I live in Scott County as well. It is my understanding that you will not be able to pick up the gun until you have your permit in hand. Talk to the local FFL and see if what you plan on doing is OK or not. If it were me, I would wait until I had my permit. It would be a shame to pay for a gun and then be denied a permit.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I live in Scott County as well. It is my understanding that you will not be able to pick up the gun until you have your permit in hand. Talk to the local FFL and see if what you plan on doing is OK or not. If it were me, I would wait until I had my permit. It would be a shame to pay for a gun and then be denied a permit.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

We were buying handguns long before permits to carry we're being issued. I spoke to my FFL and he stated permits are only to make the process easier. Permits circumvent the need to run background. No permit equals a 3 day background period but you'll still be able to get the gun provided you don't have any issues with your record.

I have never been asked for my permit when purchasing a handgun. Never had to wait 3 days except when I purchased my first in 1968. I still need to go through a background check every time I buy a handgun. Would save me money because I have gone through a bunch of checks. My permit comes due in March and will need to have a background check for that. This will be my fifth renewal. Not sure if it's a Pennsylvania thing.

We were buying handguns long before permits to carry we're being issued. I spoke to my FFL and he stated permits are only to make the process easier. Permits circumvent the need to run background. No permit equals a 3 day background period but you'll still be able to get the gun provided you don't have any issues with your record.

I have purchased four handguns in the last year, in Iowa. Each time I was asked for either a permit to purchase or a CCW permit. Maybe it's not needed, but since I have a CCW, it's a moot point for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back