Over 60 days without LTC -- Now what?

jokerfive

I moved into the state, with my handgun, as allowed. However, I (stupidly) was lazy and did not take the safety course or get licensed within 60 days. Knowing this, I stored my gun in a friend's safe (in MA)... didn't transport, etc, in the meantime. I just obtained my LTC A (ALP), about 9 months after moving to the state.

Big question now is... what do I need to do, if anything, regarding my handgun? I see the following as my options, depending upon the interpretation of the rules, notes to which I have added below:

1. Register the handgun with the state/locality. Some forums I have searched noted this was required if I kept the gun out of state (greater than 60 days) and then brought it in after the 60 day requirement (now that I have my license). However, my gun was in state the whole time, not sure if this makes a difference. Would I need to somehow certify it was stored in a friend's safe? If someone looked at when I bought my house, and when I applied/received my license, they would note it was longer than 60 days. I do note that I wouldn't be able to purchase this gun new (not on the authorized list)... however, my understanding is I'd still be fine to register such a gun.
2. Do nothing. I would only do this if it was legal, and not proscribed by some other law. I have noted than GOAL says there is no MA law for a state database. Given this, I assume there's no law proscribing registration requirements (such as my situation). That's an assumption, though.
3. Sell the gun. I don't think I have to do this. If anything, it seems I would need to register (see #1).

Thanks for your guidance. I realize I hosed up the 60 day requirement (if it was kept on site)... want to be sure I'm following the law in rectifying this.

There is no requirement to register anything you move in with......BUT you didn't really follow the rules when moving in which may or may not affect stuff. I wouldn't really worry about it, but if you want register it you can do so here

Link Removed

Hold onto that link, you will also you it when you purchase guns in face to face sales.

I was over 60 days with my pistol before I got my LTC (Granted I had at least applied for the LTC within 35 days of moving here). My instructors said just keep it in your house and nobody will know about it... You don't have to register or tell anyone that you already have a gun (including the state), As long as you have your LTC A now you should be fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back