Order Of Protection Question

Highrider

About 15 years a friend and I got into a argument and my friend mom got him to file for an order of protection which he didn't want to do.The judge granted one for a year,which was BS cause my friend still came to my place to hangout.I didn't go to his.Nobody was arrested or anything.I am thinking about getting a gun permit in Tennessee and wondering if that problem would keep me from getting a gun permit.

I can tell you IMHO, OOPs are an issue, but I strongly believe it's reviewed by the issuing agency on a case by case basis. Still apply! If you have to explain? Explain everything truthfully, it's Tennessee, not NY. Good Luck.

I agree, apply and if its even brought up, explain truthfully. my finds got his Nys permit, and they didnt bring up issues he had 20 yrs ago. I dont see Tennessee being as strict as New York

I had a similar NY issue (old girlfriend) about 15 years ago....I didn't say anything and they never brought it up; and I got my permit.

As mentioned above apply for your permit. If the protection order becomes a problem get your friend to sign a notarized affidavit. Take the affidavit to an attorney and go through the appeal process. You may want to get the attorney to draft the affidavit.

Her's how Tennessee views your 2A rights:

The citizens of the State of Tennessee have the right to keep and bear arms for their common defense; but the General Assembly has the power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime.

Any resident of Tennessee who has reached twenty-one (21) years of age may apply to the department of safety for a handgun permit. If the applicant is not prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm in this state pursuant to §39-17-1316 or §39-17-1307 (b), 18 U.S.C. 922(g) or any other state or federal law and the applicant otherwise meets all of the requirements the department shall issue a permit to the applicant.

This permit is valid for four years and shall entitle the permit holder to carry any handgun(s) which the permit holder legally owns or posses. The permit holder shall have the permit in holders immediate possession at all times when carrying a handgun and shall display the permit on demand of a law enforcement officer.

Even though a person is authorized to possess or carry a firearm pursuant to TCA §39-17-1315 or §39-17-1351 and has a permit, there are some restrictions where firearms may be carried.

Tennessee Department of Safety Handgun Permit Information

Sounds like Bloomberg has taken over Tennessee

I applied and got my handgun permit..It took 28 days...Now I want to get an Arm Security guard certification.Does anybody know any places that give training in Nashville or Murfreesboro and what is the price

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back