Open-carry at Spring Mtns Nat Rec Area

Shoobee

Banned
I called the USFS and the Clark Co Sheriff Dept and they both told me there are no special restrictions on open-carry at the Spring Mtns Nat Rec Area (Mt Charleston area). They reiterated that Nevada is a "traditional open carry state" and no permits are required for open carrying a firearm in a holsters.

A friend of mine and I will be hiking that area this weekend. I normally open carry either my 44 or my 45 at USFS lands.

We are from out-of-state and so the regular Clark County registration requirements on residents do not apply to us.

Anyone from there who had heard any differently about the local regulations?

Well nat forest is federal prop. No local law enforcement can do anything i know that on june 2 2012 the ban on open carry in nat forest was lifted give me a few and ill find you the link so you can read for your self

(from U.S. Forest Service):
Discharging a firearm (including a bow and
arrow) is prohibited in or within 150 yards
of a developed recreation site, a residence,
or any place where people are likely to be.
Shooting across roads or bodies of water is
also prohibited.
Target shooting is permitted in the general
forest area (except in the Charles C. Deam
Wilderness) as long as other persons in the
area are not placed at risk and there is no
damage to resources such as using a tree
as a target.
Cited from http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/
hoosier/recreation/
rules_and_regulations.htm

Just got back from hiking the Mt Charleston area. Hiked Cathedral Rock, Mary Jane Falls, Fletcher Canyon, and Sawmill Trail, all with O/C.

Nobody minded. A couple of people wanted to fondle and see the newest state of the art CZ 97B 45ACP, so I unloaded it and handed it to them. One guy was a Nam vet. He was amazed by the state of the new technology. The other was a retired lady sheriff's deputy.

The lady sheriff was funny. She said "so what do you plan to stop with that?"

I said "Well hopefully nothing."

She then said " 'Hopefully nothing' is right."

She further asked if we were from out of town. We answered " ... from out of state."

She wanted to know what states. We told her Arizona and California.

She said it was pretty safe around here, although she could understand why two guys from Arizona and California would not want to take any chances anyway, particularly since Arizona and California by comparison to Nevada are such dangerous ratholes.

It was a pleasure talking to her. She was funny.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back