On vacation in SC with no reciprocity

KeyserS

I'm traveling with the family to Myrtle Beach in a few weeks. I live in Illinois (I do have an IL resident CCW and a Utah non-resident) which does not have reciprocity with SC.

I think I'm good with what I can and can't do but would appreciate confirmation and any warnings or suggestions. From the SLED site I can 1. keep a loaded firearm in the glove box or console provided it's closed. And 2, can carry concealed in between my vehicle and where we are staying ("vehicle to accommodation"). Which, btw, I would follow to the letter...not pushing any gray areas. Am I correct on those?

If I bring some range guns, am I good cased & unloaded under a rear seat or should I keep those in the bed of my truck? The site says luggage compartment of the vehicle but doesn't specify loaded or unloaded (I always store unloaded so are they making that assumption?).

Thanks!

IL has no reciprocity with any other state either. What goes around, comes around.

At least you can have a gun in your vehicle and hotel or rental house in SC. How may lawyers would a SC resident need to get out of jail in IL if they made the mistake of visiting your home state, and took their gun with them?

Yeah thanks. If it sounded like I was happy or proud of it.....not. And I'm not bashing SC about the laws, just trying to follow them. I don't make the laws in IL...do what I can and contact who I can to make things as gun friendly as possible. Only reason I stated no reciprocity (& yeah again I know why so I'll save you the trouble) is to note that it's as if I have no CCW at all so that's what would apply to me. Nice....figure we're on the same side - I ask a question - you go at me because of where I live.

The following is my opinion, not law:

I would say #1 is OK but not #2. Once you put a weapon on your body concealed, you've broken the concealed carry law since you don't have a permit from SC. You should transport it from your vehicle to the residence in a piece of luggage or a box.

Ref:

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance. If the person has been issued a concealed weapon permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment; or

(b) concealed on or about his person, and he has a valid concealed weapons permit pursuant to the provisions of Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23;

(10) a person carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or fixed place of business or while in the process of changing or moving one's residence or changing or moving one's fixed place of business;

SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits.

(O) A permit issued pursuant to this article is not required for a person:

(1) specified in Section 16-23-20, items (1) through (5) and items (7) through (11);

I can empathize with your dilemma. Next month we'll be driving from SC to CT and staying in CT for a few weeks with a side trip to MA and possibly other parts of New England. Not a gun-friendly route.

I'm traveling with the family to Myrtle Beach in a few weeks. I live in Illinois (I do have an IL resident CCW and a Utah non-resident) which does not have reciprocity with SC.

I think I'm good with what I can and can't do but would appreciate confirmation and any warnings or suggestions. From the SLED site I can 1. keep a loaded firearm in the glove box or console provided it's closed. And 2, can carry concealed in between my vehicle and where we are staying ("vehicle to accommodation"). Which, btw, I would follow to the letter...not pushing any gray areas. Am I correct on those?

If I bring some range guns, am I good cased & unloaded under a rear seat or should I keep those in the bed of my truck? The site says luggage compartment of the vehicle but doesn't specify loaded or unloaded (I always store unloaded so are they making that assumption?).

Thanks!
KeyserS,

It looks as though you're spent more time learning the un-Constitutional and convoluted carry laws in SC than many of the people who live here and apparently hold SC CWP's. Let's try this in order;

1. Check. Without a recognized permit you're pretty much limited to those two locations for a carry gun that you want to easily access. As you've already noted they only have to be closed - not latched, lockable or locked, no matter what some may tell you. Tip: Make sure you keep your registration and insurance ("papers please") and your gun(s) in a separate location. If you have the misfortune to get shaken down by the cops they have no need to see or even legally know you have a gun in the vehicle. Bonus tip: Zip your lips.

2. That is absolutely correct, again no matter what others may tell you their opinion is. As long as you carry relatively discretely no one will know and in MB most won't care.

3. The answer to this is dependent on the type of range guns you're bringing. If you're bringing long guns you can lawfully carry them loaded on the front seat or dashboard, although it may raise a few eyebrows in MB. Handguns will need to be stashed as far back in the passenger compartment as possible. If like most trucks on the road these days you have front and rear seats that'll mean as far back as possible - behind and or below the back seat. That being said, unless you self identify during a traffic stop or give permission to search your vehicle which is absolutely not required, nobody will know they're there anyway.

Enjoy your stay at the Beach. Any other questions just ask. Just out of curiosity, what part of the People's Republic do you live in?

KeyserS,

It looks as though you're spent more time learning the un-Constitutional and convoluted carry laws in SC than many of the people who live here and apparently hold SC CWP's. Let's try this in order;

1. Check. Without a recognized permit you're pretty much limited to those two locations for a carry gun that you want to easily access. As you've already noted they only have to be closed - not latched, lockable or locked, no matter what some may tell you. Tip: Make sure you keep your registration and insurance ("papers please") and your gun(s) in a separate location. If you have the misfortune to get shaken down by the cops they have no need to see or even legally know you have a gun in the vehicle. Bonus tip: Zip your lips.

2. That is absolutely correct, again no matter what others may tell you their opinion is. As long as you carry relatively discretely no one will know and in MB most won't care.

3. The answer to this is dependent on the type of range guns you're bringing. If you're bringing long guns you can lawfully carry them loaded on the front seat or dashboard, although it may raise a few eyebrows in MB. Handguns will need to be stashed as far back in the passenger compartment as possible. If like most trucks on the road these days you have front and rear seats that'll mean as far back as possible - behind and or below the back seat. That being said, unless you self identify during a traffic stop or give permission to search your vehicle which is absolutely not required, nobody will know they're there anyway.

Enjoy your stay at the Beach. Any other questions just ask. Just out of curiosity, what part of the People's Republic do you live in?

Thanks for the detailed info hp!

Hopefully I won't get the shakedown...at least in the not-fun sense. Most LEOs I know and have encountered have been good and I think as with anyone...mutual respect goes a long way. I hope that by your "shakedown" comment that your guys and gals in SC aren't harder on us than most...

& yeah, I am looking forward to MB - been a long time since I've been there. I live just Southwest of Chicago and in Will County which is lot more gun-friendly than Cook County and Chicago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back