Noob here with issues!

Hi all,

I'm very new here, (first post!) and I thought I would post looking for advice.

I have an AMT Automag II in .22Mag. I have the 3 3/8" barrel model. The gun is a lot of fun to shoot when it fires, and that's the problem. I can count on two hands the times I've been able to fire a complete magazine without at least one malfunction. It constantly fails to load properly. One person at another forum is familiar with the weapon and said in his opinion that model should never have seen the light of day without additional R&D which it never got.

Another gunsmith called me and said the magazine with the orange follower was the issue, but he wouldn't touch that gun.

So here's my question; does anyone know of a gunsmith who has had success in treating these issues? I'm wondering if changing the follower for the one on the 9 round magazines might fix the issue. The 9 round models (4.5 and 6") are fairly reputable.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill :fie:

.22 WMR was designed as a rifle cartridge and uses a fairly slow burning powder meaning the chamber pressure peaks fairly late in the burn. It wouldn't surprise me if a 3-3/8in barrel just isn't long enough to provide the necessary time for the pressure to build enough to cycle the action properly. Short of getting a longer barrel I'm not sure how to solve the problem. I guess you could try a lighter recoil spring but with a blowback pistol this could prove risky.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back