non-resident

Scrounger

I've always wanted to have a NY CCW since I have family in upstate and have always thought it was impossible due to this line on the rules page. "It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license." I was just visiting a friend in PA and he said he was able to get a NY state permit as a PA resident. Sounds wrong to me. Does NY State make any consession to carry a license in NY by non-residents.

Regards,

Matthew

I've always wanted to have a NY CCW since I have family in upstate and have always thought it was impossible due to this line on the rules page. "It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license." I was just visiting a friend in PA and he said he was able to get a NY state permit as a PA resident. Sounds wrong to me. Does NY State make any consession to carry a license in NY by non-residents.

Regards,

Matthew

Yes, it may be possible for some to get a NY Non-resident permit. Bare-bones info can be found at Handgunlaw.us . Click NY on the pop-up map. Permit info begins about page 2 & page 3 shows a very brief “non-resident” paragraph. I’d not make too much of their note that a 2012 publication of permit holders addresses showed some out-of-state, as NY had (and may still have for all I know) a “lifetime” permit category that did NOT expire when the holder of said permit moved out of state after they obtained the permit as a resident of NY. Successful permit applicants can now fill out a form to “opt out” of having their personal identifying information being made available to the public via FOIA request. Only you can decide if the expense and hassle of getting a NY permit are worth it for you.

Usual disclaimer that I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice applies.

While I'm not an expert, it is my understanding that it is possible for a non-resident to obtain a CCW permit in NY. I believe you need to be employed in or own a business in NY to qualify. I'm not aware of any other conditions which may allow you to obtain a permit, but again, I'm not an expert. Call the pistol permit office in the County where your family resides. Some Counties are more 2A friendly than others. For example, Erie County takes over a year to a year and a half to get approved, and even then, they typically place "target" or "hunting" only restrictions on them. However, a couple of the neighboring Counties will issue an "unrestricted" permit, which allows Concealed Carry and rarely place restrictions on permits. Good luck.

While I'm not an expert, it is my understanding that it is possible for a non-resident to obtain a CCW permit in NY. I believe you need to be employed in or own a business in NY to qualify.

This is correct.

NY PEN 400.00 (3)

3. Applications. (a) Applications shall be made and renewed, in the
case of a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, to the
licensing officer in the city or county, as the case may be, where the
applicant resides, is principally employed or has his or her principal
place of business as merchant or storekeeper; and, in the case of a
license as gunsmith or dealer in firearms, to the licensing officer
where such place of business is located.

Never mind, just spoke to a NY State cop. You poor bastards in NY are screwed. Wow.

Matthew
No. I'm not screwed. I can load-up and head-on out for the day... anywhere other than a school. You're the one who's screwed. Same holds true if you travel to most other states without a valid non-res permit or one recognized through reciprocity. Check around.
Non-residents may obtain a permit if they own and operate a business in NY.

We just need a national carry law. Nuts that the states don't all honor each other's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We just need a national carry law. Nuts that the states don't all honor each other's.

Oh sure... Just take all of the most restrictive laws from all the states and combine them and that is what national concealed carry is guaranteed to look like... No thank you.

You will never see this in your lifetime. Not as long as there are people like Chuckie Schumer or Diane Feinstein in office. They like to tell you what you can't do while they do it themselves.... kinda like when Chuckie (Mr do as I say not as I do....he's got CCW for NY & NYC) tells you that you shouldn't have the right to carry while he can carry anywhere in NY state.

He believes that only New Yorkers who pass muster (code for "the ones that the libs feel are worthy") should be allowed to carry.... and we can't trust those other states to make the same decisions.

Navy's right... a Federal carry law would only act to take away rights from less restrictive states.

You will never see this in your lifetime. Not as long as there are people like Chuckie Schumer or Diane Feinstein in office. They like to tell you what you can't do while they do it themselves.... kinda like when Chuckie (Mr do as I say not as I do....he's got CCW for NY & NYC) tells you that you shouldn't have the right to carry while he can carry anywhere in NY state.

He believes that only New Yorkers who pass muster (code for "the ones that the libs feel are worthy") should be allowed to carry.... and we can't trust those other states to make the same decisions.

Navy's right... a Federal carry law would only act to take away rights from less restrictive states.
Good Ole Chuck. I voiced my dissatisfaction with Obamacare. I told his staffers the we all know he lied when he made the claims that the ACA made health care more affordable. I received my first-ever jury duty notice for FEDERAL court in lower Manhattan (two hours drive from home) just about a month later. It peaks my interest because I've never received a summons to any federal court especially a court so far away. Needless to say I didn't answer the summons. Is he another Chris Christie?

Good Ole Chuck. I voiced my dissatisfaction with Obamacare. I told his staffers the we all know he lied when he made the claims that the ACA made health care more affordable. I received my first-ever jury duty notice for FEDERAL court in lower Manhattan (two hours drive from home) just about a month later. It peaks my interest because I've never received a summons to any federal court especially a court so far away. Needless to say I didn't answer the summons. Is he another Chris Christie?

There are no coincidences when it comes to things like that. Expect a notice from the IRS soon...don't think that nonsense has actually stopped because they got caught! It'll just be more subtle.

We need to clean house in NY... Starting at the top with Andy Cuomo (Mr..."you don't need 10 bullets to kill a deer" who doesn't know it's illegal to hunt with more that 5 rounds in your weapon), followed by Chuckie and Kirsten Gillibrand (who lied to voters about being pro-2A). She's like the old dolls from the 60's that had a pull string in her back.....Chuckie pulls the string and his pre-recorded words come out of her mouth. I'm also a realist....I know they'll be there for a long time, but can't wait for November, when they are in the minority party in the Senate!

It makes no sense as to why I can carry in arkansas but not in new york... what the difference is nothing. I totally don't get it...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back