New to handguns. Question about .380 Cobras

Becca84D

I am new to this site and handguns. My husband and I are looking into CCW, but within a reasonable price range. I was wondering if you think that a Cobra Denali would be a good SD gun for a petite women (5' 115 lbs.)?

Welcome to this forum.

For someone who is new to handguns, my first advise would be to do your research on the Internet. You can find a lot of information about handguns in general, handguns specifically for carrying and/or home defense, and actual reviews. Then, once you have decided on a choice through that research, go to a gun range that rents handguns and try them out. Rental rates are typically $20-$25 per range visit (for range fee and rental fee), plus ammo (for, may be, $15-$20 per 50-round box). Your choice will likely change. Then, buy the gun you want and practice with it regularly.

In general, when buying a gun, the price tag should not be THE deciding factor. After all, what good is a handgun if it malfunctions after 50 rounds or doesn't work at all with the self defense ammo you are able to buy. A cheap gun can be a nightmare and even dangerous if it fails to work the moment it is needed. A quality handgun will outlive its owner and can be found at a reasonable price.

For the .380 Cobra, there are a number of reviews out there, such as Gun Review: Cobra CA380 - The Cheapest Handgun in America!. This article points out that the Taurus 738 TCP costs just a little bit more, but is an overall better handgun in that price range. I have the Taurus 738 TCP as a jogging gun and I am happy with it for that purpose. Otherwise, I regularly carry a Glock 26 (9mm, 10+1 rounds) with an extra 12-round magazine. I carry a Glock 20 (10mm, 15+1 rounds) with two extra 15-round magazines when hiking. The Cobra CA380 review also mentions that its recoil is significantly harder than that of the Taurus 738 TCP.

Speaking of recoil, have you ever shot a 380 mouse gun, such as the Cobra CA380 or Taurus 738 TCP? For someone who is new to handguns, this is definitely NOT a handgun type that I would recommend. The perceived recoil is often described as "kicking like a mule." This goes back to my opening statement about trying guns out at the range. Small guns are easily concealable and look "cute," but they can have a quite stout recoil. One big mistake new shooters make is to get a gun that recoils too heavy, which causes shooting sessions to be less fun or no fun at all. A heavy recoil also results in flinching (jerking the gun/trigger before the bang), which results in NYPD accuracy (everyone/everything gets hit but the intended target).

Since the budget seems to be a concern, keep in mind that you need some target practice ammo, some self defense ammo, a holster, and practice after you bought the gun. For a new shooter, you should go to the range regularly and practice with your gun using cheap target practice ammo. Just buying a gun doesn't make you any safer. Knowing how to use it does. You also need to make sure that your self defense ammo cycles through the gun. Many recommend shooting 50+ rounds of self defense ammo through your gun. It should function flawlessly. A holster is needed as well, unless you want to join those few people every year that shoot themselves in the leg while carrying a gun without a holster.

My recommendation is to look at larger, quality handguns in .380 ACP or 9mm, such as the Bersa Thunder .380 (.380 ACP), the Glock 42 (.380 ACP) or the Glock 19 (9mm). If budget is really a concern, look for used handguns with known reliability, such as a used Glock 19 Gen 3.

PS: I know a woman of your height and weight that carries a 1911 Range Officer .45ACP Pistol daily. A good belt and holster is key for comfortably carrying a gun. Training and practice are key for comfortably shooting a gun. Purse carry is a good way to get your gun stolen and/or used against you.

A few resources:

Thank you for replying to my question and for the link to the review about the Cobra 380. I have been looking for a review just like that about that gun. I have been doing a lot of research about handguns online especially The corneredcat.com. That site has been very helpful. Thank you for all the other rescores also. I think that they will help my husband also, who is looking at getting a CCW himself.

Welcome Becca84D. Since you are not going to be concealed carrying right away I recommend a larger handgun in 9mm to learn the basics on and for home defense. Let's get the four main safety rules memorized first:

Treat all guns like they are loaded.
Do not point the muzzle at anything you do not want to destroy.
Keep you finger off the trigger until you sights are on the target and you are ready to fire.
Know your target and be aware of what is behind it.

Here is an intro to guns and safety video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa1nP-ajuKo

Now head to a local gun shop with a large selection and try out several for size and grip feel. Ask permission first and test the trigger pull of various guns.

bofh

Excellent advice! Excellent gun recommendations. I am amazed at the number of boyfriends, husbands, and salesmen who want to equip a new female shooter (or themselves) with an airweight 38 or LCP (which IS a very good gun) as a first firearm. Pay a little (or a lot) more - after all, you are staking your life on it. Also consider a quality used firearm from a reputable dealer.

I can't comment on that particular gun, but I had a Cobra .380 derringer that I absolutely hated. I shot it one time and sold it. Yes, they are an inexpensive gun. Spend a little more and get something better.

Thank you all for the advice. I believe that I have convinced my husband to look at a S&W SD 9 VE instead. Also to go to a local range and test some different guns. If we like anything that we try, to buy on a lay-a-way plan. Thank you again for all the advice.

Becca, as some of the other members have said go to a range and be sure to handle/shoot ant particular gun you may want to buy, if you do I'm pretty sure you would not get the Cobra or the S&W you mentioned to be politicaly incorrect the Cobra is junk and the Smiths not much better, to big, trigger to hard, accuracy so so, again by all means shoot before you buy, there are a lot of small to midsize 9mms, now the S&W M&P series is good, as is the Glocks, Sigs, and Springfields, and above all if what you but is going to be your carry gun, and is a semi auto, no matter who made it, after you buy it take it to the range and shoot it till you get tired of loading and shooting, just to be 110% sure it going to work when you need it

I found that I loved the design and handling of the Beretta 92FS, and for a ccw, I wanted something like that oniy smaller. I found what I wanted in the Beretta 84FS. I found a gently used one on Gunbroker.com and got it for much less than similar new pistols. I like it, you might find something the same way.

I advise you to first start by handling everything you can and making a list of what "feels" good at the store. THEN, rent or borrow as many as possible and feel how they shoot. I can not tell you how many "ccw" guns feel good in the hand but are real dogs on the range. Please do not restrict yourself to a .380. The ammo is harder to get and far more expensive than a 9mm or larger. When I first started shooting, I thought a 9mm, 40 or 45 were going to be too hard to shoot. Surprisingly, the 9mm and the 45 were easier than the .380 I bought. It all came down to how it fit my hand. Single stacks will always be more comfortable in small hands. I suggest you look at the Smith and Wesson Shield or the Sig P238 (.380) or P938 (9mm). If you are not a shooter right now, then I suggest you invest in a full size gun and start practicing. The smaller the gun, the harder it is to shoot accurately.

Oh, and the gun you like will most likely not be one your husband will. The only firearm my hubby and I both agree on is the CZ 75.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back