Need clarification on sign posting

Fishhunter911

Hello all. I have my CCW and my home state has reciprocity with NC. I am down in NC staying at a resort. When I arrived I went to the office to check in. Outside the door to the office was the dreaded sign. It states "in accordance with North Carolina Statutes 14-415.11 carry concealed handgun is prohibited."

Now, I did not inquire with the office as yet, but since the sign is posted at the office door, does this mean that it is for the office or the entire place? Other than the one sign there is nothing posted anywhere else on the grounds

Thanks for any info you can give.

I live in PA and looked up the GS of NC where you live and which your provided. Section (8) says this:
(8) On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.

Since this is the office to the whole resort, according to section (8), this would mean the grounds.

Wow, and when I was reading I found that you cannot carry at a rest stop along the highway in NC either. Geesh!! Remind me not to stop at one when I travel through NC next time.

It is lawful to stop at a state-owned rest stop... this is my error in reading.

Last edited:
Notify the resort you will no longer stay there and inform honest gun carrying visitors the name of the resort so they can take their business elsewhere.

I live in PA and looked up the GS of NC where you live and which your provided. Section (8) says this:
(8) On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.

Since this is the office to the whole resort, according to section (8), this would mean the grounds.

Wow, and when I was reading I found that you cannot carry at a rest stop along the highway in NC either. Geesh!! Remind me not to stop at one when I travel through NC next time.

You can carry at a rest stop in NC

You can carry at a rest stop in NC

Then why was this in the NC GS:

(c3) As provided in G.S. 14-269.4(5), it shall be lawful for a person to carry any firearm openly, or to carry a concealed handgun with a concealed carry permit, at any State-owned rest area, at any State-owned rest stop along the highways, and at any State-owned hunting and fishing reservation.

Then why was this in the NC GS:

(c3) As provided in G.S. 14-269.4(5), it shall be lawful for a person to carry any firearm openly, or to carry a concealed handgun with a concealed carry permit, at any State-owned rest area, at any State-owned rest stop along the highways, and at any State-owned hunting and fishing reservation.

Please notice it says LAWFUL. not unlawful. It is LAWFUL to carry in those places. Ironically I was just looking up this paragraph to back up my claim.

Mark

By the way this paragraph (c3) is in the following section of the statutes for future reference.

14-415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

I live in NC, and it has always been my interpretation that the sign bans concealed carry past the sign, so if its posted at the entrance to the grounds, then it means everywhere on the grounds, but on a door, it means anywhere past the door. It doesn't make sense to post a sign banning concealed carry everywhere on the grounds somewhere on the grounds but not at the entrance. You would have to have already broken the rule before you would know there was a rule! Of course a lot of things don't make sense in the world, and this is my interpretation with no legal opinion to back it up, just logic.

Bob that is why I posted this question. I am of the same thinking as you. I figured if it were the grounds it would be posted at the entrance to the property.

Of course I could go in and ask them, but then they would know I am a carrier. I am of the school of thought of don't ask, don't tell.

The confusion is exactly why the politicians make up these stupid laws.

Please notice it says LAWFUL. not unlawful. It is LAWFUL to carry in those places. Ironically I was just looking up this paragraph to back up my claim.

Mark

Wow, thanks for clarifying that... now why would someone write a law that says something is lawful. Laws are about what is not allowed, if not written it is lawful. *shakes head*

Ok... I re-read through the entire section of the statutes... It was in the section where it was talking about how State buildings were unlawful to carry in EXCEPT State-owned rest stops where it IS lawful. Thanks for pointing out my error.

But the law states in a "conspicuous" manner. It does not say at the entrance. Since anyone at the resort must first check in at the resort office, I would have to conclude the state would say that this is in a "conspicuous" manner.

I would agree with you that for most businesses, the most conspicuous place would be the front entrance door.

Not a lawyer, but I think that some States have laws where if it is a Hotel or Motel they cannot ban guns in the rooms, for instance if a person rents a room it is considered his/her place of residence not a place of business. Not sure if NC has such a law.

Not a lawyer, but I think that some States have laws where if it is a Hotel or Motel they cannot ban guns in the rooms, for instance if a person rents a room it is considered his/her place of residence not a place of business. Not sure if NC has such a law.

This thread was 10 months old!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back