Moving to SC from TX - have questions

mechanic58

V8 Facist
Hi, new to this forum. Looks like a great place! I am relocating to South Carolina from Texas and I have a LTC from Texas. I can't seem to find any information on what will happen once I make the change "official" by getting a South Carolina ID. From what I can tell, if you have an LTC from one state and you move to another state, the instant you surrender your ID in exchange for an ID from the new state, your LTC from the other state becomes null and void. Is this the case with South Carolina? Am I going to have to go through the whole process again to get an LTC from SC?

I know most people think Texas is the easiest place in the world to be armed and free - nothing could be further from the truth. It took me FOUR MONTHS to finally get my LTC in-hand once I started the process. It's ridiculous.

Any information that anyone could share with me here would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Ok, after spending some time poking around on this site I think I have answered my own question. Found this on the SLED website:

Q: I have a CWP in another state and will be moving to South Carolina. Can I transfer my permit?

A: No. South Carolina law does not permit the transfer of permits from other states. You will need
to attend CWP training through a certified South Carolina CWP instructor. A listing of instructors
is available on the SLED website (South Carolina Law Enforcement Division) under the Concealed Weapons Permit
Program tab. Your selected instructor will help you navigate through the remainder of the CWP
applicationprocess

Yes sir, unfortunately that's how the law works here. Additionally, SC doesn't recognize any non-resident permit so obtaining an Arizona permit for example wouldn't carry you through for the interim. People also think that SC has super great gun laws being in the South and all. And like Texas nothing could be further from the truth. It is fairly easy though to legally carry a gun inside your vehicle so there's that.

Welcome to SC but if you can, for a multitude of reasons, stay in Texas.

Take your CWP class ASAP

I know most people think Texas is the easiest place in the world to be armed and free - nothing could be further from the truth. It took me FOUR MONTHS to finally get my LTC in-hand once I started the process. It's ridiculous.

Any information that anyone could share with me here would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I have family in Texas and SC was like original TX prior to OC.
I would recommend you take your SC CWP classes as soon as possible.
Once you get a lease/home submit your application since you'll have 90 days to relinquish your TX DL.

It’s going to take you about 90 days to get your CWP in hand after you take the class. In the meantime, you can carry a loaded handgun in the center console or glove box of your vehicle provided it has some form of latching mechanism, but don’t drive onto any school grounds with one. There is no public open carry in SC unless you carry while actively hunting, carry on property you own or with permission of the owner or are a cop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s going to take you about 90 days to get your CWP in hand after you take the class. In the meantime, you can carry a loaded handgun in the center console or glove box of your vehicle provided it has some form of latching mechanism, but don’t drive onto any school grounds with one. There is no public open carry in SC unless you carry while actively hunting, carry on property you own or with permission of the owner or are a cop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you're going to give advice, you should probably make sure you have your facts straight. There is absolutely no requirement to have "some form of latching mechanism" on the center console or glove box, no matter what your uninformed CWP instructor, local cop or interwebz expert may have told you. Additionally, open carry of a long gun is entirely legal if seldom seen in SC, so some form of "public open carry" is allowed (a word that should never be attached to a Constitutional right) here.

SECTION 16-23-20

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance. If the person has been issued a concealed weapon permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment; or

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back