Moving to NY State

BamaBoy

Assuming that I'm not a prohibited person, if I move to New York State, can I legally bring my Smith & Wesson Model 36 Chief revolver with me and keep it in my house? Do I have to get a license to own/possess it? Do I have to register it with some agency?

I used to live in the People's Republic of New Jersey, and even there, no permit or registration was required merely to possess a firearm (on one's own property).

Thank you.

WHY IN THE HECK would you want to move to NY???? If anything I would move to Florida or Texas. If you move there Sir...Good Luck!

Thanks for responding. Just a theoretical question: If I move to New York State. . . .

I was born in New York City, lived in New Jersey for 54 years, and have lived in Alabama for the past 7. I hope never to see either NJ or NY again.

I'm asking because my brother-in-law lives in NYC, and he has discovered that obtaining a permit to purchase a handgun in the city involves enormous and repeated annual fees, as well as signed promises from other people that when he dies, they will inform the police of that fact so they can confiscate the firearm. But the permit is required for purchase, and we were wondering whether a resident can simply own a firearm in his home.

Of the 50 states, Alabama has the highest percentage of CCW permit holders, and the total is over half a million. I will never again live in a state that does not readily issue CCW permits.

I Was Born in NYC and raised on Long Island until my 16th birthday when I left for the Army. I now live in the South. I would rather live in some cesspool in West Africa or the Middle East before I'd ever move back to the City. And, NO, you can't take your pistol to NYC, unless you have mega bucks and can bribe an official to give you a permit.

A NY state hand gun license is a license to possess whether carrying or a premises. You cannot bring the handgun to NY and must have a license to possess it within the state of NY. Best solution is to ship from FFL in your current state to NY FFL and then either have him hold it until you get licensed or transfer to a friend on his license until such time as you get your license. At that point you can have him/her transfer it to your license. The process takes about 6 months to get a NY carry license depending on the county/issuing agency.

A NY state hand gun license is a license to possess whether carrying or a premises. You cannot bring the handgun to NY and must have a license to possess it within the state of NY. Best solution is to ship from FFL in your current state to NY FFL and then either have him hold it until you get licensed or transfer to a friend on his license until such time as you get your license. At that point you can have him/her transfer it to your license. The process takes about 6 months to get a NY carry license depending on the county/issuing agency.

Let them come and find it.
Register NOTHING.

A New York State handgun license is NOT valid in New York City. You have to have big bucks (almost like Trump) to get one. Gotta grease the palms of the pols.

"I would rather live in some cesspool in West Africa or the Middle East before I'd ever move back to the City."

Ditto, Brother.

First, a permit IS required to "possess" a handgun in NY State ...PERIOD!!! In NY, possession is considered holding or being in control of a gun (except at gun shop). Most gun shops will require you show your permit to hold a handgun in their shop. If you are with a friend and you are holding their gun, and that gun is not specifically listed with serial number on your permit, you are in illegal possession of a handgun in NY. Further, permits issued outside of the City of New York are not valid in NYC. NEXT....DO NOT bring the gun with you in anticipation of application for your permit. Once you cross the state line with the gun, you are subject to felony possession. Depending on which county you will be living in, the time it takes to get your permit may take as little as 6 months to as long as 2 years. (You may be able to find processing times for specific counties in the "forums by State" threads). In some counties, they will issue "unrestricted" permits which allow concealed carry, while other counties will issue permits "restricted" to Hunting or Target, which after holding the restricted permit a number of years, you can apply to have the restrictions lifted.

OK, here's some info I heard on radio broadcasts (WBEN 930 Tom Baurle Show) from the Tresmond Law Firm... According to them, while NY is a "May Issue" state, for home defense, it is a "must issue" state. I have not actually known anyone who has applied for a home defense permit, but it's worth a try.

good luck and be careful in NY. Emperor Cuomo would like nothing else but to put another notch in his belt for each Safe Act arrest.

The best answer is yes, you'll have to get a license. The next answer is it depends on the county you move to as to how easy it is and whether you will be able to get a carry permit.

Keep this in mind, the closer you move to NYC, the tougher to more impossible it will be to get a carry license unless it's required by your business or job.

If you already own a gun in another state, and then move to NY, why would you inform the NY authorities that you have said gun? If you keep it at home, why do they have to know about it? Why does anyone have to know about it?

In all our trips thru NY, no one ever stopped us at the border to ask if we were carrying guns. And we have out-of-state plates on our vehicles.

I also have a question about gun ranges in NY. Suppose you get all the NY-required certifications for buying and touching guns, and maybe buy one or more thru that process. Suppose that you also own a gun that you bought and brought with you from your previous residence in another state. If you want to practice shooting that rogue gun at your NY range, do they check the documentation of each gun you bring into the range?

If you already own a gun in another state, and then move to NY, why would you inform the NY authorities that you have said gun? If you keep it at home, why do they have to know about it? Why does anyone have to know about it?

The purpose of the gun is for self-defense, no? So if the owner must use the gun for self-defense, the first thing the New York cops will do is check for the license. No license = going to jail. Then he gets to explain to his fellow inmates that he is in the slammer for shooting a criminal with an unlicensed gun. That will probably go over well.

If a person moves to NY with a gun from another state and does apply to register it in NY, how long does that process take? Where is the gun kept during the process? Is it possible that the application will be refused? If yes, then what happens to the gun?

If a person moves to NY with a gun from another state and does apply to register it in NY, how long does that process take? Where is the gun kept during the process? Is it possible that the application will be refused? If yes, then what happens to the gun?

It really depends on which County you are moving into. NY City, as well as Buffalo and Rochester (the larger population centers) are controlled by Liberal Democrats. As a result, it's more difficult to get a pistol permit. In Erie County(Buffalo) and Monroe County(Rochester), it can take a year to a year and a half to get a permit. Even then, they will add restrictions such as "hunting" or "target" to the permit, so Concealed Carry is not immediately possible. Then, after a number of years, you can apply for an "unrestricted" permit. The judges who sign off on permits are also flaming liberals. Interestingly, in the counties adjacent to Erie County, Cattaraugus, Niagara and Wyoming Counties, it is my understanding that they typically issue "unrestricted" pistol permits...no limitations... and in far less time than it takes in Erie or Monroe. Check the threads in the forums "By State" as there may be a thread specific to the county you are moving to.

As for your guns, long guns do not have to be registered, but handguns MUST be registered to someone and listed on their permit for them to be legally possessed. If you have a relative or friend who you trust, you'll need to transfer the guns to them until you receive your permit. Otherwise, you'll need to find an established FFL dealer who can store them until your permit is issued.

Good luck on your move.

I'm wondering how many small businesses, (gun shops) have been forced to Close their doors since the passing of the Safe Act?

Hasn't New York continued to add more and more restrictions to this law? Such as a requirement to register ammo when sold and machete sales are now outlawed?

Wasn't this governor the one who said when he was running for office, " I believe law abiding citizens should be able to purchase guns. "

Skip all the bullshyte and just come over one state, or three, and carry without a permit.
Vermont only requires a 4473 form and a phone call to the NICS system.
Maine is now another non permit carry state as well.
Why on earth would anyone bother with New York and its massive unconstitutional laws when there are soooo many other, BETTER places to live?!

If somebody moved to NY state without knowing it was illegal to bring your handguns, legally bought while living out of NY;how could they get the guns on their already obtained NY permit?

Ignorance of the law isn’t a defense, especially when it comes to firearms. I live in Monroe county and it took almost a full year to obtain my ccw. I’d think you’d have to have an FFL hang on to the firearms and then transfer to your NY permit. But getting them to FFL is another issue that I don’t know the answer to

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

Old post, but hey, might benefit someone out there. If you're moving to NYS, it REALLY depends on which county you'll be moving to as to how likely you can get a pistol permit, and to what degree of carry they'll let you have. If you're moving here and you don't ALREADY have a NYS permit (even if you don't own any pistols) it's in your interest to get one anyway, as you still need one in many places to purchase pistol-caliber ammo in the state (even if it's not FOR a pistol). Even a premises or sporting permit is better than nothing (and is, of course, required for POSSESSION of pistols). In general, you need a pistol permit in NYS first, then you can register them with your county pistol clerk, once they're on your permit, you can then carry them to whatever level of carry you're allowed on that permit.

The safest thing to do would be to transfer any currently-owned firearms from an FFL near you to an FFL near where you'll be living in NYS (some gun clubs or really nice shop owners will do this for free or a nominal fee), but generally you only have to do that if you're a NYS resident and purchasing weapons out-of-state. If you're in a non-NYC county and you only have long guns with the appropriate mag sizes and nothing that qualifies as an assault weapon under the SAFE Act, you should be able to bring them in w/o issue if you already own them (you don't have to register these outside of NYC). If you're moving to NYC, you need both long gun permits of the appropriate type AND they need to be registered (same for pistols, which is a separate license). If you own 4 or more guns of any kind in NYC, you also have to show them proof that you have adequate storage (e.g. a safe).

In any case, definitely ask the pistol clerk in whatever county's sheriff's office you're moving to; some counties are more restrictive than others, and they can provide info on exactly what they need you to do based on where you're moving to.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back