Moving out of state

smitty3187

Hi All,

I am moving to the South for the military and have a MA resident LTC. If I have it registered under my parents' address (a permanent address) can I keep the license? Or do I need to change my address to my address in the South...in which case it will likely be revoked.

Thanks.

Because you move to a different state does not mean you have to give up your citizenship (residency) of your last or home of record state.

For example: I am in the USAF and live in NM because Uncle Sugar told me they need me here but I am still a legal resident of NH where I am from. NH understands this so I still have a NH CCW and Drivers License with no problems.

If you have any questions your legal office on base/post will give you a ton of information concerning this topic. ;)

Hi All,

I am moving to the South for the military and have a MA resident LTC. If I have it registered under my parents' address (a permanent address) can I keep the license? Or do I need to change my address to my address in the South...in which case it will likely be revoked.

Thanks.

MA does issue to non-residents so even if you did change your address that is not a reason for revocation. Just keep in mind a non-res MA permit is only good for one year and you have to reapply in person...keep your parents address.

Hi All,

Thanks.

You wouldn't get revoked, if you've already got a unrestricted permit you should be fine. Especially since you moving for military. But you may be better off with getting a permit where your stationed for the purpose of buying without needing a MA FFL involved.

I am moving out of state from MA to NY and I am in the middle of a LTC renewal. where should I keep my pistol before I take it to NY state? I had had an LTC with no restrictions prior to my moving. Please help?

I am moving out of state from MA to NY and I am in the middle of a LTC renewal. where should I keep my pistol before I take it to NY state? I had had an LTC with no restrictions prior to my moving. Please help?

Wow, your actually moving to a state WORSE than MA!!! Why? Even MA has a grace period when you move in. With NY who knows. There permit process is like 6 months. I'd post something in the NY section and make sure you list what County you'll be moving to. If NYC just sell the gun now. Also, once you move out of MA your LTC is void. AFTER you get NY residency you'll have to apply for a non-res LTC. Most likely you'll get T&H'd.

Also, once you move out of MA your LTC is void. AFTER you get NY residency you'll have to apply for a non-res LTC. .

Are you sure about that? I don't see where moving out of state is grounds for revocation.

[h=2]Section 131 Licenses to carry firearms; Class A and B; conditions and restrictions[/h]
(f) A license issued under this section shall be revoked or suspended by the licensing authority, or his designee, upon the occurrence of any event that would have disqualified the holder from being issued such license or from having such license renewed. A license may be revoked or suspended by the licensing authority if it appears that the holder is no longer a suitable person to possess such license. Any revocation or suspension of a license shall be in writing and shall state the reasons therefor. Upon revocation or suspension, the licensing authority shall take possession of such license and the person whose license is so revoked or suspended shall take all actions required under the provisions of section 129D. No appeal or post-judgment motion shall operate to stay such revocation or suspension. Notices of revocation and suspension shall be forwarded to the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services and the commissioner of probation and shall be included in the criminal justice information system. A revoked or suspended license may be reinstated only upon the termination of all disqualifying conditions, if any.

Are you sure about that? I don't see where moving out of state is grounds for revocation.

Yup, a Non-Resident can not posses a resident LTC. Mainly because a non-resident pay $100/yr and makes return trips to MA every year to do it. Don't forget even moving WITHIN MA requires you to notify your current and new PD and do it by certified mail to PROVE you let them know so your LTC doesn't invalidate. I would call the FRB to see what your options are, but that has always been the way it worked in the past.

Wow, your actually moving to a state WORSE than MA!!! Why? Even MA has a grace period when you move in. With NY who knows. There permit process is like 6 months. I'd post something in the NY section and make sure you list what County you'll be moving to. If NYC just sell the gun now. Also, once you move out of MA your LTC is void. AFTER you get NY residency you'll have to apply for a non-res LTC. Most likely you'll get T&H'd.

I am moving to rockland county, but its possible i could move to PA but i will be working in NY state.

I am moving to rockland county, but its possible i could move to PA but i will be working in NY state.

I'd think that one out! In PA you have rights, you won't have to worry about whether or not you'll get a permit and won't be bound buy stupid restrictions. The downside is NY doesn't issue permits to non-residents. But they barely issue them to residents either so may not be a big deal. I'd still advise if you didn't to post a thread in the NY section and inquire about Rockland County, some counties allegedly aren't that bad for giving out permits, but that seems rare. Also remember in NY they limit you to I think 3 guns as all serial #'s must be on your permit! plus remember the permit won't be valid in NYC if you ever go there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back