Moved from NC to TN with a Reciprocal CCW permit

mg1cigar

Hey all, I have a NC CCW permit and have recently moved to Vonore, TN. I was told all I have to do is hand in my NC CCW permit and TN will issue me a TN CCW permit without taking the TN CCW permit test. I know NC and TN are reciprocal states, but I find this so good to true, so I'm embarrassed to ask if it is true...........is it?

Thanks,
Mike

Welcome to East Tennessee!

How about reading the actual law and regulations instead of relying on hearsay:

If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee.

All applicants, regardless of permits issued by another state will be processed as originals. The applicant must be twenty-one (21), complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay one hundred and fifteen dollar ($115.00) fee, and be fingerprinted. All applicants, except those with valid permits from New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas must take a DOS approved handgun safety course. Licensing requirements are not included in the reciprocity agreements between states. The mutual recognition of handgun possession privileges between states has not changed and is listed on this website.

See Link Removed

Effective July 1, 2005, Tennessee handgun carry permit law will now allow certain applicants already exempt from complying with firing range provisions of the current statute to also be exempt from any classroom requirements. Those current exceptions are applicants who prove to the department that within five (5) years from the date of application for handgun permit, the applicant has:

1. Been certified by the police officer's standards and training commission, or
2. successfully completed training at the law enforcement training academy; or
3. successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guards; or
4. successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military.

See Link Removed.

In short, you can not simply exchange your NC carry permit for a TN carry permit. Ranges that do the carry permit course in your area include Tactical Advantage Corp. and Frontier Firearms.

Just for the record...at one time TN had different requirements for each state ranging from just paying the $50 renewal fee to having to do the whole application process and all things in between. But a few years ago it went back to everyone having to do the full new application process.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back