Mounted handgun in vehicle

grunt0341

First off I am a Virginia resident. I was looking to update my IWB & perhaps get a new OWB holster from a company I have dealt with. I noticed they have a new option that you can take your OWB off your belt by squeezing the paddle and placing it in a mounted frame wherever you have mounted it, ie: under dashboard or side of console. I can see the benefit of this during your travel as far as quick accessibility but how legal would that be especially in my state. Also how uncomfortable would that make a Police Officer feel during a traffic stop. This system is made by Alien and it's a new item. Thanks for any input.

Here is the link to the Alien Gear Cloak Dock Holster Mount.

I do not know about the legality in Virginia. In most states, if you have a carry permit and open carry is not prohibited, this shouldn't be an issue. It only can become an issue if there is a specific statue that prohibits mounting a gun to a car (which I don't think exists), or, which is more likely, if open carry laws or laws about access to guns (such as a passenger who is under age or does not have a carry permit) can complicate things.

As for LEOs, they will follow their training. Virginia does not have the duty to inform, but a handgun mounted in a place that the officer can see immediately or at some point during a normal traffic stop bears rethinking the strategy of not informing the officer (which is my default).

As for usefulness, this has been discussed a bit already on this forum. It requires unnecessary gun handling, which should be avoided. If you are in a parking lot that is full of people, are you going to move the gun from the car mount to your holster or are you leaving the gun in the car? Whatever you do, your gun becomes visible to those around you. They may not notice, but you having a gun in your hand while being in your own car can cause a panic if seen by someone outside.

If you have to leave your car quickly, such as after an accident or just because you forgot to buy something at a shop, you are more likely to forget your gun in the car. This not only opens you up to a quick smash and grab job, but also to not carrying your gun when you should.

I do not know how well this product is designed. In a car accident, your vehicle-mounted gun can easily become airborne and lost in the car, which is especially bad if you need your gun after the accident. I previously recommended to screw a BlackHawk Serpa holster or a Safariland holster, both with excellent active retention, to the car.

Alternatively, you can learn how to draw your firearm from your OWB holster while sitting in your car. Every LEO has to learn this, so could you.

Just because there is a lot of gear out there that one can buy, that doesn't mean one should buy it. It just means that there is a market out there for the product. Mindset, skill and gear are the important factors in a gunfight. Most people ignore the first two and go all out nuts on the latest, greatest gear they can buy.

Good info

Here is the link to the Alien Gear Cloak Dock Holster Mount.

I do not know about the legality in Virginia. In most states, if you have a carry permit and open carry is not prohibited, this shouldn't be an issue. It only can become an issue if there is a specific statue that prohibits mounting a gun to a car (which I don't think exists), or, which is more likely, if open carry laws or laws about access to guns (such as a passenger who is under age or does not have a carry permit) can complicate things.

As for LEOs, they will follow their training. Virginia does not have the duty to inform, but a handgun mounted in a place that the officer can see immediately or at some point during a normal traffic stop bears rethinking the strategy of not informing the officer (which is my default).

As for usefulness, this has been discussed a bit already on this forum. It requires unnecessary gun handling, which should be avoided. If you are in a parking lot that is full of people, are you going to move the gun from the car mount to your holster or are you leaving the gun in the car? Whatever you do, your gun becomes visible to those around you. They may not notice, but you having a gun in your hand while being in your own car can cause a panic if seen by someone outside.

If you have to leave your car quickly, such as after an accident or just because you forgot to buy something at a shop, you are more likely to forget your gun in the car. This not only opens you up to a quick smash and grab job, but also to not carrying your gun when you should.

I do not know how well this product is designed. In a car accident, your vehicle-mounted gun can easily become airborne and lost in the car, which is especially bad if you need your gun after the accident. I previously recommended to screw a BlackHawk Serpa holster or a Safariland holster, both with excellent active retention, to the car.

Alternatively, you can learn how to draw your firearm from your OWB holster while sitting in your car. Every LEO has to learn this, so could you.

Just because there is a lot of gear out there that one can buy, that doesn't mean one should buy it. It just means that there is a market out there for the product. Mindset, skill and gear are the important factors in a gunfight. Most people ignore the first two and go all out nuts on the latest, greatest gear they can buy.

I thank you for the outstanding info and your opinion. Some of the concerns you had, I too had thought about. The most important was unnecessary handling of a handgun. I had just finished reading an article on "unnecessary handling of a gun" minutes before I read your reply. I believe for me, I will not be installing a gun docking or mount in my vehicle. Thanks again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back