Mosin casings, reloadable?

tricolordad

Banned
I have 3 different types of Mosin Nagant casings, Wolf, Brown Bear and Romanian??? surplus. How do I find out which ones are reloadable? The only casings I know anything about are the brown bear, theyre laquered steel with berdan primers. The others, no idea. Looking to cash them in eventually. Theyre piling up in my office.

Unless you have a brass case with a boxed primer they're non-reloadable. I believe Privi makes 7.62x54R with brass case. If they're Berdan primed you will need a special decapping assembly to remove. Most of the time it's not worth the hassle

While not impossible, neither Berdan-primed or steel cases are practical to reload when Boxer-primed brass is available. Berdan-primed, copper-washed or lacquered cases would be the last thing I think of reloading. I reload my used or virgin Mosin brass for accuracy or load-testing, but I also shoot a lot of steel-cased and/or Berdan-primed surplus that I just throw away the cases.

tom

There are quite a few people that reload steel and Berdan Primed cases. The two more popular ways to get the primers out are with water or a pick (for lack of a better word) With water, you fill the case then use a rod the same size as the ID of the nech. Then hit the rod with a hammer to compress the water to push out the primer. With the pick, you just drive it through the primer with a hammer, like working with a chisel.

Either way, unless you have a lot time on your hands, is not worth it. Finding the primers can also be a hassle. Instead, I picked up 100 Winchester brass cases, much easier to work with.

There are quite a few people that reload steel and Berdan Primed cases. The two more popular ways to get the primers out are with water or a pick (for lack of a better word) With water, you fill the case then use a rod the same size as the ID of the nech. Then hit the rod with a hammer to compress the water to push out the primer. With the pick, you just drive it through the primer with a hammer, like working with a chisel.

Either way, unless you have a lot time on your hands, is not worth it. Finding the primers can also be a hassle. Instead, I picked up 100 Winchester brass cases, much easier to work with.

I've tried the water trick. Very messy.

tom

Here is the cliff notes answer.

Use a magnet to see if they are steel. If so recycle.

If they are brass shine a flashlight inside the case. One center hole in the bottom is boxer primer, easily reloaded. Two holes is berdan primed, recycle those. Or sell to someone that likes a challenge.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

S&B and Privi make boxer primed brass case new ammo, along with Winchester if you can find it. Some surplus (I've had some bulgarian) is also brass/boxer, though most of the brass surplus is berdan primed, big pain in the ass... Buy the expensive stuff once and keep your brass, you can make some pretty nice loads in the old 7.62x54r

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back