Mississippi changes concealed carry laws

fstroupe

AWESOME STUFF!!!

Staff
Memphis Business Journal

Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant signed two pieces of gun legislation into law on March 4.

The first, House Bill 485, removes personal information collected from applicants for concealed carry permits from public record requirements. The second, House Bill 2, dictates that someone licensed to carry a concealed weapon will not be penalized if part of the weapon is visible.

Previous case law had established that if any part of a weapon is obscured from view, including by a holster, it is considered concealed.

House Bill 2 also lowers the age of application for a concealed carry permit in Mississippi to 18 for active duty military personnel or veterans. Non-military personnel must still be 21.

Way to go Mississippi more states wake up.
We've had CC since prob 1997 or so. This tweaks the laws some. Probably the best part is the issues of "partially concealed", which was an issue decades before CC, with new issues created after CC laws were passed.

Still doesn't address the stupid wording of the statute concerning open carry, but a step in the right direction.

We've had CC since prob 1997 or so. This tweaks the laws some. Probably the best part is the issues of "partially concealed", which was an issue decades before CC, with new issues created after CC laws were passed.

Still doesn't address the stupid wording of the statute concerning open carry, but a step in the right direction.

I believe it does, sorta.

The second, House Bill 2, dictates that someone licensed to carry a concealed weapon will not be penalized if part of the weapon is visible.

Previous case law had established that if any part of a weapon is obscured from view, including by a holster, it is considered concealed.

As long as you have a Permit, which you must have to carry concealed, then you can carry openly in a Holster.
-Bandit

There is a reason that the military locks up the firearms on the military bases. That is so the testosterone laden young bucks can't get ahold of them. So now you want 18 year old young bucks to have concealed carry...hey...they can't possess them on the base anyway so why have that law anyway. Sorry if I offended anyone but I was once a young buck in the military and you would not want us going on liberty with firearms. Young military bucks can be somewhat reckless when let off base...even on base they can be reckless...thus ya gotta lock the firearms up.

Now if only Mississippi allowed carry in:

any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity;
any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages;
any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose;
any church or other place of worship;

like New York allows.

Now if only Mississippi allowed carry in:

any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity;
any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages;
any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose;
any church or other place of worship;

like New York allows.
I didn't say that they corrected everything that was wrong with the statute, they just tweaked it. It sucks.....but it is "shall issue", and no requirement for classes. And there is little prohibition on vehicle carry. IMO it's a little expensive ($130 for initial, $85 for renew, good for four years), but surely not the most expensive.

As far as verbage against open carry, it wasn't touched. Most people read it and it says that the laws should not be interpreted to mean that they prohibit open carry. But the Attorney General doesn't agree, he reads it to say open carry by non-law enforcement personnel is illegal.

It did clarify the definition of "concealed" and "partially concealed", a good thing. There was no such thing as "partial concealment". If a LEO or judge wanted to screw with someone, they could say a weapon laying on a car seat was "concealed"....because the back side was not visible. (with the previous vehicle carry regs) A handgun in a holster was "concealed" by the holster. There was a story about a guy tying a string to the trigger guard, the part under the string was "concealed", no idea if the story was true or not.

There is a reason that the military locks up the firearms on the military bases. That is so the testosterone laden young bucks can't get ahold of them. So now you want 18 year old young bucks to have concealed carry...hey...they can't possess them on the base anyway so why have that law anyway. Sorry if I offended anyone but I was once a young buck in the military and you would not want us going on liberty with firearms. Young military bucks can be somewhat reckless when let off base...even on base they can be reckless...thus ya gotta lock the firearms up.
Why do so many people judge what other folks should be trusted with by what they don't trust themselves to be trusted with?

I'm glad to see some of the States resisting King Obama and his minions gun grabbing efforts.

Accountability. It's just SO embarassing when Col. Numbnutz misplaces his GI handgun. FYI, your "young bucks" comment might be considered to be ethnicly insensitive in some circles. Don't know how long ago you were in the Service, but there are WAY more under-21-year-old service members married and living off post than there used to be. The Military takes whatever steps it needs to control firearms on base. Fortunately some States realize that allowing these "sub-adults" who are entrusted with the safety of our country (and in whom our US Government has a considerable financial investment in terms of training) to protect themselves from deadly criminal attack while off-post.

Do your homework. Beginning July 1, 2013 open carry of a handgun without a permit will be legal in the state of Mississippi per House Bill 2. This has been confirmed to me by several law enforcement officers.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back