Ideas for 2-3 Hour Range Instruction Events

Regular_Joe

I hold semi-annual range days in our local area with the purpose of building community and introducing people to the sport of shooting. Several have asked about alternative training/coaching sessions in 2 or 3 hour blocks - they still want to attend the range day but are interested in moving to the next level. However, they don't have the time or money to attend a full-day/multi-day training.

I'd like to start with several 2-3 hour instructional defensive handgun range events, where each event focuses on a shooting fundamental. I am thinking this will be a quarterly series and each series would have a specific theme.
  • Has anyone developed anything like this?
  • What skills would you recommend I include?
  • If you are a new shooter, what would attract you to attend something like this?
Appreciate any comments or questions!

I hold semi-annual range days in our local area with the purpose of building community and introducing people to the sport of shooting. Several have asked about alternative training/coaching sessions in 2 or 3 hour blocks - they still want to attend the range day but are interested in moving to the next level. However, they don't have the time or money to attend a full-day/multi-day training.

I'd like to start with several 2-3 hour instructional defensive handgun range events, where each event focuses on a shooting fundamental. I am thinking this will be a quarterly series and each series would have a specific theme.
  • If you are a new shooter, what would attract you to attend something like this?

Hi Joe,

We have been conducting a "Monthly Pistol Skills Workshop" for about 4 years now. It is mostly a winter months event here in NY because during the summer/nicer weather people are generally busier and I am very busy conducting mobile training classes. In 2009 we started conducting a similar event but its a monthly carbine workshop.

Anyway, we start off with a fundamental and combative marksmanship workshop. This acclimates people to what and how we teach and the fundamental material. Then, we pursue other subjects. Some of the topics for the monthly workshops include: Low Light, Shooting on the Move, Proper Use of Barricades, Support Hand & Bilateral Pistol Operation and Force-On-Force scenarios.

Hope this helps,
Chris

We run what we call mini classes. We cover the basics of the draw, house clearing, malfunctions, etc. They are a fun and cheap way for people in our area to learn new skills.

The NSSF First Shots program is excellent for people who are curious about handguns and want to give it a try. They have also developed a a follow-up course to introduce centerfire handguns. The NSSF will help you organize the courses and even provide a grant for expenses.

Have you heard of the IDPA (not sure if the accronym is correct)? It is the International Disciplinary Pistol Association. Call Gunslingers in Amarillo, TX for more information. It is very educational, hands on type scenarios in an indoor & outdoor setting. There are a lot of Good Shooters in this organization. The point of each exercise is to make your own score better. It is not so focused on beating another persons score, but to improve your skills in the event you have to draw your weapon. I was a member for a while & loved it. My back & neck injury has prevented me from going back at this time.

Have you heard of the IDPA (not sure if the accronym is correct)?

Yes - International Defensive Pistol Association. I would like to host an IDPA event at some point at our informal shooting range - I just joined IDPA and am looking for an event in my local area. However, I think first we are going to lead a few rounds to build fundamental skills.

Thanks for the ideas, friends

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back