Here's an article with some things to consider when choosing a bug out destination:

The OP actually makes a valid point. There's a word for people that just leave with no plan.... refugee

I'm not going anywhere if my home hasn't disappeared. I'm already in the woods. Have the means to hunt small and large game. Nice plot for a garden, if fallout is tolerable. Plenty of wood for cooking and heating. Have the capability of defending myself and my family if it comes to that, and it may, with murderous government jack-boot thugs, or survivors willing to kill to feed their families.

I'm old, my wife is old, and we will shelter within if possible. Life's been good, mostly. I have emergency power for my ham radios, and will know the extent of the emergencies pretty quick, if phone and internet are gone. If it looks like an EMP event is close at hand, will put all my equipment in my gun safe, bolted to the slab, and grounded well, and maybe they will survive it...maybe not.

I'll sweat the details when something goes down. We've already had unknown vehicles running around our two cul-de-sacs. Problem is for scum-bags, most of us are here all the time, and don't open the door to strangers, and even ones we know, I have the great equalizers at the ready, in case they have been overtaken by degenerates hiding in the shadows.

We have as much to fear from our growing tyrannical government as we do pond scum these days. Their DNA is becoming frighteningly close.

There are some serious bovine scats running-around.

Your post and the article raise an important point. Having the world's most perfect, versatile, or light bag or kit is great, but it is worthless without an accompanying plan. Having a primary bug-out location stockpiled with supplies is also great, but, again, it's not enough. Instead of investing all of their resources in one excellent location, I advocate the idea that a survivalist have at least two locations--the more the better. Emphasis should definitely be placed on making one location the primary, but alternates are necessary in the event that that location is unavailable. Not all incidents only affect your current location but spare your bug-out location. For example, a catastrophic natural disaster might make access to your primary bug-out location unavailable. A hurricane could flood roads, or a nuclear power plant or chemical plant accident could contaminate a wide swath of land including both your current and your survival location. In such eventualities, it is best to have at least one alternate location--preferably in a drastically different geographic area-- scouted and identified as an alternate. Stockpiling supplies at the alternate location is even better.

As a general rule of thumb, think of your primary residence and it's location on a map. Decide what your bug-out plan is; will you be walking there? Biking? Driving? This will determine the distance your location should be from your residence. Farther from a city may be more secure, but is harder to access, farther from help, barter, etc., and takes longer to reach. Once you have determined what distance you plan to be able to travel in an emergency, draw a circle on a map that size around your primary residence. Your primary location and all secondaries should lie somewhere near this circle. Ideally, they will be in opposite directions, such as the primary location being south of the residence, and the alternate being north. The more geographically dispersed, the more likely that at least one location will be unaffected by the catastrophe.

One -critical- thing that people forget is navigation. It doesn't matter if you have a perfect bug out bag, vehicle, and location if you can't get to them. If conditions are bad enough that you have to leave your primary residence for an extended period of time, don't count on all normal routes of access being open and accessible! Indeed, to have any chance at reaching your bug out location, you need to have ample and redundant ways of navigating there. Of course, the most fundamental means is a decently detailed road map. Even if roads are not passable or accessible, they provide excellent navigation aids when using alternate means of transportation (foot, bike, ATV, plane, etc.). Good topographic maps for your area are critical, as well as associated navigation gear such as navigation compasses. Even GPS is a great resources (light, low power consumption, extremely precise). A waterproof expedition GPS will continue to function under any circumstances shy of all-out space war or massive electrical disruption (e.g. solar storm, electromagnetic pulse, nuclear war, etc.).
Finally, I want to take this opportunity to address (and shut down) an opinion that I often read on survival boards. Many a "survivalist" declare something along the lines of: "I don't need a bug-out location. I -LIVE- at my bug-out location! I have a cabin in the woods with 5" steel plated walls, 2MW of solar panels, 6,000 acres of arable land, a natural spring, 2 million rounds for my Mosin, etc." I cannot emphasize enough how much none of this matters if you are forced to leave it! Yes, you may have the perfect survival setup. But, none of it matters if it is your PRIMARY RESIDENCE! The whole point of a bug-out location is to have an -alternate- location to which to locate in the event that the primary residence becomes unlivable. Remember the old adage "Two is One, One is None." Your cabin in the woods is not a bug-out location if it is your full-time residence, resilient as it may be. Where are you going to go when it is threatened by a river overflowing? A forest fire? A private energy company seizing your land through use of eminent domain? In such cases, having a small loft in a high-rise in the nearest city might just be the ideal bug-out location!

My point is, the assumption that the "cabin in the woods far from civilization" as the ideal bug-out location mindset is limited and flawed for certain situations. A good bug-out location is one that you can get to, that is geographically disparate from your primary residence, and that is resilient and redundant.

A good article and some good points raised by the comments, all important things to consider. All the planning in the world can't account for the random and unaccountable happenings of nature and men. Redundancy and plans A-Z are usually a must... b/c after all, most plans are just lists of things that don't happen.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back