Help Getting Started

jschweg

Hi folks. I've been shooting for my whole life, however recently became interested in doing some training. I got my NRA Pistol / RSO last year but am having some trouble with some logistical issues getting started. I already know that there isn't any money to be had, but want to do this more for the enjoyment and really like to introduce new people to shooting sports.

1) how to you find locations to have these classes? You obviously have to book in advance and if you don't get enough interest, I'm sure you can end up completely negative with renting some type of room for a whole day.

2) if you post a class to the NRA website, does that actually get looked at by people so you can fill up a class?

3) Even if you do fill up a class, if I remember right the proper ratio of student to instructor is something like 2? How can this work unless you know a bunch of instructors?

4) The basic course includes some range time. How do you manage that? If the second part of the class is actual shooting, then you almost have to have the entire class at a range, and what public range is going to even bother with that?

I might be over thinking here, but I just don't know how to get started.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I don't know about most but here are the answers that I have for our questions. I have been a Firearms Instructor for about 6 years and live in the Mid-Atlantic region. I would like to do more than break even but this is a tough area for gun instructors. Maryland and Washington,DC are very anti-gun while Pennsylvania is not. But Pennsylvania has so many hunters and rugged individuals that don't believe they need training that it is just as difficult as Maryland.

I have an arrangement with two gun clubs (maybe more soon) and pay a fee per student. I am a member at both clubs and the fee is more of a donation than a rental fee. This way I have a classroom, range area and no downside if the class does not run. I do volunteer services for other events at these clubs so they do not think I am taking advantage of their facilities.

The NRA Website has been the best resource for getting members I have drawn from a four state area including Washington DC because of listing with the NRA. Don't discount it if you get low attendance the ares you have chosen are very competitive (pistol) and not well known or used (RSO). I know because I teach both of these and Rifle Pistol and Reloading as well.

I limit my classes to 10 students and average 5.

Additionally, I strongly advise you to get the NRA Instructor Insurance, it's only $300 a year but the peace of mind is priceless.

If you have any further questions you can either PM or email through my profile on the website.

Good Luck

Hi folks. I've been shooting for my whole life, however recently became interested in doing some training. I got my NRA Pistol / RSO last year but am having some trouble with some logistical issues getting started. I already know that there isn't any money to be had, but want to do this more for the enjoyment and really like to introduce new people to shooting sports.

1) how to you find locations to have these classes? You obviously have to book in advance and if you don't get enough interest, I'm sure you can end up completely negative with renting some type of room for a whole day.

2) if you post a class to the NRA website, does that actually get looked at by people so you can fill up a class?

3) Even if you do fill up a class, if I remember right the proper ratio of student to instructor is something like 2? How can this work unless you know a bunch of instructors?

4) The basic course includes some range time. How do you manage that? If the second part of the class is actual shooting, then you almost have to have the entire class at a range, and what public range is going to even bother with that?

I might be over thinking here, but I just don't know how to get started.

Great questions but everyone's situation is different. You did not state if you were urban, suburban, or rural in your location so it is hard to give specific advice.

For me, since I am rural, I started my business using my property. I had to make sure the area where we shoot was safe, not only with a proper berm, but also what is beyond. Insurance is paramount along with incorporation of your training company. Over time I developed a class room in my basement.

If this is not your situation, then I suggest speaking with other instructors in your area. You may be able to tag team with them to get started.

Good Luck.

If you are in an area with established shooting ranges, go introduce yourself and ask what their policies and requirements are for you to use their range for your classes. Some ranges charge per student, others per hour, etc.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using USA Carry mobile app

Great questions but everyone's situation is different. You did not state if you were urban, suburban, or rural in your location so it is hard to give specific advice.

For me, since I am rural, I started my business using my property. I had to make sure the area where we shoot was safe, not only with a proper berm, but also what is beyond. Insurance is paramount along with incorporation of your training company. Over time I developed a class room in my basement.

If this is not your situation, then I suggest speaking with other instructors in your area. You may be able to tag team with them to get started.

Good Luck.

Sadly, I am in the burbs, slightly upstate from NYC

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back