Got restrictions removed from my pistol permit!

Work nut

Im soo excited.Now I have a permit with no restrictions, IN N.Y!

Every time you get rights restored, a liberals brain explodes (That should explain the stocking Andrew Coumo has tied around his head) Well Done !

In Cuomostan you frequently get your carry license with a restriction on it. Sometimes for "hunting and target", downstate in the city, if you can get one at all, most likely it will be "target" only. There are counties west of the Hudson, and above Westchester, that issue unrestricted carry licenses from the start. Other counties require you to take an advanced safety course and ask for the restrictions to be removed, usually after you have had a license for a period of one year. Every county in NY handles pistol permits in their own fashion and on their own timeline. The closer to the city, or Democratic political stronghold you are the longer and harder it is to do.

Here in NY, even after passing all the background checks, interviews of your references by law enforcement, and pretty much a full rectal exam of you and your character, you have to prove you're a "responsible" gun owner before being granted an "unrestricted" permit. They issue a permit with a "hunting" and/or "target" restriction. This means that you can possess a handgun....in NY State you can't even hold or handle a handgun without a permit or you are a felon. The hunting/target restrictions allows you to go to the range or carry a handgun while in the field hunting, otherwise you have to have it unloaded and secured while transporting it the range or field. When at home, they require any handguns be locked in a safe or gun cabinet. So, in other words, you only need to demonstrate that you can lock a safe to be considered "responsible". THEN, after you've demonstrated your proficiency in locking a safe for a number of years, the judge MAY remove the restrictions. BUT, it all depends on what county you live in. In Erie county, the above is pretty much the norm, while in adjacent counties of Niagara and Cattaraugus, they typically issue "unrestricted" permits form the get go. Coumo and his un-SAFE ACT gotta go!!!

On the bright side, the RINO, State Senator Mark Grisanti (a Coumo Republican) was defeated in the primary and will likely be out (he's on a minor line in November). This, I believe, was the work of the anti Safe Act gun owners in the district.

This isn't the norm however. Not all permits are issued restricted. Orange and Ulster Counties issue unrestricted permits to new applicants and Dutchess County issues ONLY unrestricted permits. No training requirements. These are all downstate counties; 40 min from NYC.

You guys hit it right on.I lived in Albany county for 9 yrs which is when I got my permit.I was expecting a long wait time to get it but I couldent believe it when in a week it was approved.When I went down to get the permit it said for hunting and target.How dissapointing but at least I could have a firearm.Annoying that I have to go thru that but its what I expect from N.Y. Now,about 2 yrs ago I bought a house in Nassau N.Y. Renn county.I had my permit switched from Alb county to Renn and it still had those restrictions on it.I talked to Joyce who is in the permit dept(very nice lady) She said if I wait one year then take a safety class I could get a unrestricted.Well a year went by and there was some confusion about when I was scheduled for the class so I missed the class.So I wrote the judge a letter explaining my situation and in a few days I got a letter stating I was granted a full carry permit.The process has been pretty easy for me and quick.It helps when you have a squeeky clean record,although this shouldent be necessary to exercise my right to carry but it is and now Im there.

The process has been pretty easy for me and quick.It helps when you have a squeeky clean record,although this shouldent be necessary to exercise my right to carry but it is and now Im there.

it is sad that you've been so conditioned by government to think that what you've been put through in order to be able to have a gun as pretty easy.
for example here in FLA you can walk into any gun shop and purchase a weapon, and with an unfortunate 3 day waiting period you go home with your gun, it can be loaded, it can be in your car and in your home, subject to being easily accessible to child, no idiotic restrictions. If you want to carry concealed, you get finger printed, take a 2 hour proficiency class, write a check wait a few week and as long as you are clean an UNRESTRICTED license to carry is issued. despite what some so called NY experts say getting access to a handgun in NY is a PIA

You guys hit it right on.I lived in Albany county for 9 yrs which is when I got my permit.I was expecting a long wait time to get it but I couldent believe it when in a week it was approved.When I went down to get the permit it said for hunting and target.How dissapointing but at least I could have a firearm.Annoying that I have to go thru that but its what I expect from N.Y. Now,about 2 yrs ago I bought a house in Nassau N.Y. Renn county.I had my permit switched from Alb county to Renn and it still had those restrictions on it.I talked to Joyce who is in the permit dept(very nice lady) She said if I wait one year then take a safety class I could get a unrestricted.Well a year went by and there was some confusion about when I was scheduled for the class so I missed the class.So I wrote the judge a letter explaining my situation and in a few days I got a letter stating I was granted a full carry permit.The process has been pretty easy for me and quick.It helps when you have a squeeky clean record,although this shouldent be necessary to exercise my right to carry but it is and now Im there.
These guys who respond with a slant on NY also need a permission slip from the feds to walk-in and buy a new gun at the store. They complete BATFE 4473 and ask permission.

These guys who respond with a slant on NY also need a permission slip from the feds to walk-in and buy a new gun at the store. They complete BATFE 4473 and ask permission.

what total and complete nonsense!
filing the 4473 report after purchase is required by federal law, every gun purchased via an FFL MUST go the 4473 routine and doing that is nowhere near to needing a permission slip to even look at a gun like you people in NY/NJ need to get from your local barneys. no permission slip the man in the store will shoo you out

Link Removed

And this thread reminds me of just how lucky we are in Vermont.

No permits... Period.

4473? ..... Yeah but.... It's the only step I have to go through.

21, go to gun store. Pick out gun. Pay store. 4473... Then

Take your new gun, load it, shove it down into your waistband, cover it with your shirt and head out.....

Link Removed

what total and complete nonsense!
filing the 4473 report after purchase is required by federal law, every gun purchased via an FFL MUST go the 4473 routine and doing that is nowhere near to needing a permission slip to even look at a gun like you people in NY/NJ need to get from your local barneys. no permission slip the man in the store will shoo you out
If the fed check comes back flagging someone the man in the store will shoo them out. Right?

Moved from NY to SC and here you walk into a gun store pick a handgun and after the NCIS check 15-30 minutes you walk out. It does take between 60-90 days for your permit.

As many know restrictions on the NYS permit are administrative and arbitrary. If you "carry' with a restricted permit you will lose your permit but there can be NO LEGAL ramifications.

“wow, a celebration for being given permission to exercise rights that were stolen from you”

Instead of congratulating a woman with a newborn baby or someone pronounced cured of cancer, you would mock them and point out the changes in their bodies, pain, scars, and cost? People work with the deck they are dealt.

Congratulations Work Nut! Encourage your legislators to end these silly restriction in your state.

Orange and Ulster

This isn't the norm however. Not all permits are issued restricted. Orange and Ulster Counties issue unrestricted permits to new applicants and Dutchess County issues ONLY unrestricted permits. No training requirements. These are all downstate counties; 40 min from NYC.
I have to disagree. I used to live in NewYorkistan and have knowledge of how it works. It all depends where you live in Orange Co. If you live in a district that is over seen by a judge who doesn't like guns you Might get a permit. If they give you a permit it will most likely have restrictions no matter who you are, even active police. I know personally law abiding people who live neat Port Jervis who have the normal hunting .fishing, and target restriction. Then if you live lets say near Middletown, I know of an individual who sent his permit papers in and never had to go see the judge for the interview that everyone else had ro who lived in other areas had to do. Stupid NYS! I'm glad I moved to Missouri. I can walk into any place that sells guns, including handguns, and in maybe 30 mins. I walk out with my nice new pistol, rifle, etc. Very simple, very constitutional. Now we don't even need a CCW permit to carry concealed. Love my state!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back