CLICK HERE TO WIN A FREE GUN

Gaining Multi-State permits by getting a Utah concealed carry permit.

Merlin III

Many people have told me to get a non-resident Utah concealed carry permit as means of getting reciprocity with numerous other States. I did my due-diligence on the Internet and the Utah site says: "Holders of a valid Concealed Firearm Permit from another state other than Utah are not exempt from taking the weapon familiarity course from an approved Utah instructor."

This caught me by surprise until I thought about it some. They probably want you to get instruction on their State specific laws. I feel reasonably comfortable in knowing that the individuals who I spoke to did not travel to Utah and take a course.

I will call Utah tomorrow for clarification, but before I do, does anyone have any specific knowledge about this? Are there instructors around Maine who hold the Utah approval or even multi-State certifications as instructors as per Utah's statute?

Thanks for all responses.

Look at Florida ccw . Go on map and click on your home state , than click Utah, unclick click Florida,unclick click Arizona . Now which one had more . Arizona will require shooting test , but most states

I don't know of anyone around Maine who does teach a Utah class. I do know that this year they will not issue a non resident a Utah permit, unless they have a current permit for the state in which they reside.

Good luck to you, I hope you find what you are looking for.

I just signed up tonight for a Utah class through Mass Firearms School. Its $100 for 4 hours and all the paperwork is done there. Not a bad deal.

Check out the list of instructors:

Link Removed

I'm not sure about Maine but I do know that there are instructors certified for the Utah course in other states. Arizona has several. Also, as 2u23 said, I believe Utah has updated the requirements to only allow people with permits from their home state to get a non-resident permit from Utah.

There are certified UT instructors throughout the country. Link Removed

M

Must have home state permit IF your home state has reciprocity or honors the UT permit.

Check out the AZ non-res permit: About the same cost but the training requirement is not as specific as UT i.e. NRA training class, hunter safety, DD-214 etc.

Good luck.

I am taking a motorcycle trip out west and will be touring through States where a FLA or Utah permit is not valid. I realize that Federal law protects my right to pass through gun unfriendly States, but one of those States is Colorado. In Colorado I will be attending a 4 day rally so I am not technically just passing through. Will having my pistol in a lockbox in my hard saddlebags make me legal? Any thoughts?

I moved to Nevada a few years back and had to take the state training to obtain my resident permit. When I registered for the training, the instructor asked if I'd like the Utah course "at the same time". There are only a few differences between the two states', and he pointed out each during the class.

After the eight-hour class, I received both certificates...Nevada and Utah. Then, it was just a matter of sending the paperwork/money/certificate to Utah to get my permit.

I realize this may not apply in your case, but you asked for responses. Perhaps, you can do the same in your state.

Email