Flashlight or no flashlight

NewlyEnthused

Every time I watch a cop show the agents or officers carry their flashlight in line with the firearm.
Thinking about protecting my family, I always thought this gave the bad guy a target to shot at.
But, holding a flashlight arms length away to throw them off can make your aim unsteady.

What is the best way to carry a flashlight in the dark? or is it better to go without the flashlight?

I have heard arguments for both. In my opinion, if someone was entering the house after dark and the lights are already off, I would think the bright light of a flashlight might put me at a disadvantage as my eyes adjust to the bright light. Fiber optic sights would allow you to get your sight picture faster given there was some ambient light. If there's not light, identification of the target could be an issue. In the event of a break in, my first reaction would be to reach over than ensure my wife was in bed beside me, thus making anyone else in the house a target! If you have children this strategy becomes much more complicated and you would want to ensure you can clearly identify your target before engaging it. Of course a very bright light shining in the eyes of the offender could also disorient them while giving you a positive ID. So, it really could go either way depending on you and your circumstances. as far as holding the flashlight, I think I would opt for a flashlight that mounted to the weapon so I had full control of the weapon and not worry about fumbling within another item. Hopefully, this didn't add to your confusion...

A flashlight is used in a no or low light situation to make sure that you have acquired a sight picture of your target. Once done, fire, and turn off your light and move. This minimizes the window of lighting yourself up like a Christmas tree as a target yourself. The other thing, with the high lumen output of today's flashlights, the flash of the light in your target's eyes will disorient them. Another tactical advantage.

Here's a good link about the different ways to carry a flashlight with your handgun. Find one that you can perform and you will train so it too becomes muscle memory.

I completely disagree with the flashlight mounted on the gun if it is your only flashlight. The reason, if you need a flashlight for other than to acquire a sight picture, then you are pointing your muzzle at an innocent (possibly your children to make sure they are in bed as you investigate the bump in the night). If you carry a second flashlight in addition to the mounted, then I would say the mounted is fine as long as it is only used for sight picture.

With flashlight carry methods you can actually point the flashlight at a slight angle to have the target think you are in a different sight angle. You have no control where your light points if it is on the weapon itself.

Handgun Flashlight Hold

Also, I noticed you just joined today. Welcome and great first question.

For those who think a light is always going to give away your position---if the area is lit enough for you to see and/or engage a threat, it is lit enough for the threat to see you, whether or not you have a light. It may not, however, be bright enough for you to satisfy Rule 4.

A light on a firearm is just a tool, one that gives you options. There is no rule that says that if you have a weapon mounted light, you have to turn it on every time you move five steps; you can leave it off if you think staying dark would be to your advantage, and you can turn it on if you deem it appropriate. But having a good light does give you the option.

One big advantage to a pistol mounted light is that you can use your non-shooting hand for whatever you want & still run gun & light. Won't be as pretty, but it beats trying to herd a 3 year old in a dark parking lot with your knees while putting effective fire on your attacker.

Thank you for the feedback. I hope I am never in a position that this is needed, but, thats why we strive to be prepared.
I see a lot of advantages with the gun mounted light, (free hand, stability, etc), but I can see the advantage of a separate light for sweeping the room, or locating a child.
I have never used a gun mounted light, and not sure what is involved to mount and remove for CC. I only have the one, and would not want to have to get another gun just to have a light mounted.

Once again, thanks for the food for thought. I think I will like it here.

There’s a saying Mindset, Skillset, Toolset.

Before you lay out a boatload of money on a bunch of uber tactical gear you will likely never need I would suggest you get some good basic training (from a real instructor not youtube)work on getting the first two areas squared away then worry about building your tool kit. One guy that knows what he’s doing can do far more damage with a bolt action .22 than an army of range commandos with all the latest crap CDNN sells on their ARs .

A possible addition to your firearm could be a laser sight. Crimson Trace has laser grips that come on by simply griping the handgun. Now you have the sighting needs taken care of and the flashlight can be used as intended. Check them out. I have them on all of my ccw guns. Just remember, these are not intended to replace good handgun skills, just to enhance them. By the way, they have now come out with green lasers.

crimsontrace.com

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
playmatka
Back