Field dressing

TAC

Field dressing

OK, I haven’t been hunting since I was a kid, and even then I never field dressed an animal myself. I am now thinking about going hunting and would like to know if there are any good resources, with pictures, that do a good job of explaining how to field dress an animal. I am guessing that the process is similar regardless of what the animal is, is that correct?

For large game, yes, field dressing is pretty similar from one species to another. Small game has a couple of variants depending on the size of the critters. Youtube is a good resource for how to video. I was trying to explain squirrel cleaning to a non hunting friend that was wanting to take it up and a video on Youtube really did the trick.

Good Luck.

YMOS,
Tony

A good pair of loppers (Link Removed) make it alot easier to cut into the pelvis of larger animals and also in cutting off the lower part of the legs and the head after you have gutted and skinned it to the base of the skull.

We use to use a hacksaw until this was shown to me...

A good gut knife makes a world of difference too.

I watched some of the Youtube vids last night and they are just what I was looking for.

Thanks.

A good pair of loppers (Link Removed) make it alot easier to cut into the pelvis of larger animals and also in cutting off the lower part of the legs and the head after you have gutted and skinned it to the base of the skull....

I use a heavy knife or hatchet to split the pelvis and just cut through the tendons at the "knees" and break off the lower legs. Even on a big animal, this works with some effort. I am one who gets the meat off as immediately as I possibly can and into a cooler.

I have a video from the Kentucky game and wildlife commission that's pretty darned good at explaining field dressing and butchering. Here's a starting point.

One other suggestion I would add. Don't use a huge knife. You don't need one, and it will get in the way more than help. Smaller is actually a lot easier to handle and as long as it holds a good edge, should be able to cut through just about anything on a deer except that cartilage at the pelvic bones on larger deer. The one I use is about a 2.5" "sharpfinger" with a stunted handle and finger hole. Just a joy to use such a small and light knife that fits the hand perfectly. You only use about the first inch of the blade. The guy who makes my knives says he proves this to the hunt clubs by skinning and de-boning deer for the club using a utility knife.

<~~~~uses a single edge razor blade for skinning and a fillet knife for gutting and the insides.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back