Federal Judge rules that Maryland's handgun requirements unconstitutional

The original link to Federal Judge rules that Maryland's handgun requirements unconstitutional as been deleted.

We're hopeful that we will be allowed our rights - however, it's becoming clear that it will be a long road...
The MD State Police have unofficially indicated that they are not doing anything until there is more guidance from the court.
In other words - I suspect they are hoping that the stay will be granted and they can then continue with "business as usual" while it gets battled in the courts...

But even if that happens, we still have a "win".

It has been commonly understood that a private citizen (non-LEO or politician) would never get a CCW permit without meeting the "good and substantial reason" requirement. So, there were very few that applied since it was almost certain that they wouldn't get the permit, there was no reason to give the state "free money" for the application fees.

Because of this - MSP would always be able to say "We approve over 90% of all applications." and then argue that their standards are not too high - the people of MD must not want permits.

Since the decision came down - many of the fine citizens here have been risking the "loss" of the application fees and flooding MSP with new applications (since technically they can not be refused based upon the G&S language in the MD law)
So, even if those permits are declined - we've destroyed the argument that nobody in MD wants CCW permits.

We are going to stay the course and hope for the best - wish us luck!

Anybody keeping track of the # of applications in MD post the Legg ruling?

Without information from MD State Police - it is difficult to know.

However, Maryland Shall Issue has a poll on their website that (as of this moment) indicates that 63 respondents have already applied, and 523 others plan to...

This poll is by no means fully inclusive - So, hopefully the folks that say they are planning to apply actually do and there are many more that have/will beyond what was captured by this particular poll...

In all of 2011 - there were 5216 applications - it'd be great if we can triple that number or more for 2012...

Although it is a gamble with the application fees - my wife and I are considering applying, in the least - just to make the numbers work against them...

did anyone get a permit yet??

I recently had my interview in the car with its hands-free Bluetooth.

The Trooper calling used a Pikesville number; I live in Garrett County and my application was received on 15mar12.

He was polite, professional, and brief. Here is what he asked:

-verify DOB
-verify last four numbers of SSN
-verify employer and position
-how long at current position?
-own any handguns?
-how many?
-any current carry permits for other states? (copies in application)
-any domestic violence?
-married or single?
-how often do I drink alcohol?
-any drug use?
-any involvement with police?
-seen a psychiatrist?

Nothing about my DD-214.

After my answers without elaboration & my thank-you for MSP processing, he stated that MSP is waiting for the court decision to proceed further with permits.

I recently had my interview in the car with its hands-free Bluetooth.

Here is what he asked:

-verify DOB
-verify last four numbers of SSN
-verify employer and position
*-how long at current position?
*-own any handguns?
*-how many?
*-any current carry permits for other states? (copies in application)

-any domestic violence?
*-married or single?
-how often do I drink alcohol?
-any drug use?
-any involvement with police?
*-seen a psychiatrist?

All items that I added a * to are absl9ltly none of his business and Im surprised they can get away with asking those things.
But Its the Maryland State Police and ethics in law enforcement isnt their strong suit.
Disgraceful.

Would politely refusing to answer any of the questions asked by the Trooper be grounds for a denial of your permit? Six of the listed questions should have absolutely no bearing on whether a permit should be approved or not. I want to be as polite and respectful as possible but if they are going to ask questions that merit a sarcastic answer I cannot help but want to respond in that manner.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back