CT firearms safety course ?

Pcgjr47

I'm filling out my app for CT non resident permit and I do not have an NRA basic pistol course certificate... my question is will they accept my Massachusetts firearms safety certificate and my Utah safety certificate?

Not looking good - but maybe.

I'm filling out my app for CT non resident permit and I do not have an NRA basic pistol course certificate... my question is will they accept my Massachusetts firearms safety certificate and my Utah safety certificate?

According to handgunlaw.us, this is what is required for nonresident permits:

1. Copy of permit(s) to carry a pistol or revolver (with all information clearly legible)
2. DPS 46 Application Card for State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers
3. DPS 799-C Application Form for non-residents-notarized
4. DPS 129-C with an attached 2 x 2 color photo (passport)-notarized
5. Fingerprint cards-both the blue and green cards with a cashiers check or money order payable to the
Department of Public Safety for $19.25 .
6. Check or money order for $70.00 payable to DPS 7.
7. Documentation of successfully completing a Firearms Safety course for pistols and revolvers. (The
course of instruction required must be (or equivalent to) no less than the NRA "***Basic Pistol Course"
which consists of a 10 hour course including at least 50 rounds of live fire, safe firearm handling, firearm
parts and operation, ammunition and its function, shooting fundamentals, selection, cleaning and storage
of a firearm, etc.)
*** For all courses taken other than “NRA Basic Pistol" Course, an official description of course MUST be included with application. .

8. A copy of citizenship (birth certificate, US passport, voter registration card)
9. Legal Alien Residents need to provide a copy of their Alien Registration card and 90-day proof of
residency within their state. If applicable, a copy of naturalization papers should be sent with application.
10. lf applicable, include a copy of form DD214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty from
military which MUST specifically state "Honorable" discharge.
11. Authorization for Release of personal information (notarized) is optional but may be necessary in
processing application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALL INFORMATION MUST BE COMPLETED IN ORDER FOR YOUR APPLICATION TO BE PROCESSED. All documents must include full, legal signature of applicant as appears on citizenship (middle name/initials optional), abbreviations or initials only are not acceptable.
*****INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONPACKAGES WILL BE RETURNEDIIIII*****

The Utah course does not meet Connecticut's requirements, so it will not be accepted.

The Mass certificate probably won't be accepted either, unless you can show that the course you took was NRA Basic Pistol or the equivalent. (NRA Home Firearm Safety, the course most commonly taken in Mass, does not meet the requirements.)

If you would like to obtain an NRA Basic Pistol certificate - I do teach that. I can do the lesson privately, but it's cheaper if you can get a small group together. Let me know by private message if you're interested. :)

What did the MA cert class consist of? LIve fire? It's possible it will suffice if it was similar to NRA Basic just without the NRA name attached.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back