cpl question from Michigan

mitten bullies

I live in Michigan, I had a 2nd dui charge 6 1/2 years ago, it was not a felony, I did probation, classes, drops and finished successfully. I learned my lesson and no longer drink, I want to know if that will hinder me from getting my cpl, if so what are my options. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

What I found is the LTC can be revoked or denied. I would go to the Michigan State sight and search for the gun laws. I am in MA and if you get tagged here it is a lifetime ban. Glad to hear to straightened up, I hope its not to late

As an instructor in Michigan, the first question I would ask you is what county do you live in? The Prosecutors in each county Head up the county Gunboard. Second, I would consult the Michigan State Police site and read the requirements and items hindering your being issued a CPL (Concealed Pistol License). There is a time limit involved for DUI and a CPL being granted. In Michigan, also, if you are caught under the influence of MJ or other drugs, that is considered a DUI for CPL purposes. Again, the MSP website would be the best place to go for a definitive answer as to the elapesed time needed from last DUI to application for a CPL. If you decide the timing is correct, let me know at [email protected] and we will discuss the necessary class.

Hmmm. I guess it all depends on how many times this occurred. If it was a single, one-time incident, with no priors to the incident, I think you might be good to go. Below, I will paste all the DUI-related stipulations, highlighting what I think keeps you in the clear:

--------------------------------

"12. Have not been convicted of one of the following misdemeanors in the 8 years immediately preceding the date of application:"

- Operating while intoxicated, second offense, MCL 257.625(9)(b)

- Drunk driving, commercial vehicle, MCL 257.625m(4)

- Driving while license suspended or revoked, second or subsequent offense, MCL 257.904

---------------------------------

Now, there is another list of penal codes specifically written for offenses committed within the past three years, but I'm taking your word that you're good to go, so that list should be irrelevant.

Hope this helps.

You Will have to wait 8yrs from the time of your last DUI...Once after 8yrs you then can apply..you can take the class now or wait till then...

I might add to XDM40cal response, the local gun board in Michigan has the final say on the length of time the course is valid for. SE MI counties of Monroe and Lenawee are placing a time limit of two years on the validity of the class. Since you have to renew your license at the 5 year mark along with an affidavit proclaiming 3 hours review of the laws, I can almost see the sense in this limit. Also, I would disagree with an advance class unless you want to be a township constable or reserve police officer. A good class will give you all the basic training you need apart from PRACTICE, PRACTICE AND PRACTICE.

I might add to XDM40cal response, the local gun board in Michigan has the final say on the length of time the course is valid for. SE MI counties of Monroe and Lenawee are placing a time limit of two years on the validity of the class. Since you have to renew your license at the 5 year mark along with an affidavit proclaiming 3 hours review of the laws, I can almost see the sense in this limit. Also, I would disagree with an advance class unless you want to be a township constable or reserve police officer. A good class will give you all the basic training you need apart from PRACTICE, PRACTICE AND PRACTICE.

If this is true they are illegal doing so, state law is clear.. the only time fram is the CPL it self, the class cert has no experation date. Now If they ask for some documantion that you have been to range and coverd the laws, keep your recepit for the range time...

MCL 28.425j specifies what conditions must be met in the course required to get a Concealed Pistol License. One of those requirements is that the program provides a certificate of completion stating the program complies with the requirements of this section. There is not an expiration date on the training. However, your local county gun board will review the training certificate to see if is acceptable.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back