Conceal carry for smaller guy

tylerdewitt418

I've been carrying for about a year now. I've never really had a problem with printing or anything but I wanna know some different ways other people carry so I can try them out. I carry a S&W SD40VE. I'm about 5'10 and weight 150. I'm also open to holster suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

I've been carrying for about a year now. I've never really had a problem with printing or anything but I wanna know some different ways other people carry so I can try them out. I carry a S&W SD40VE. I'm about 5'10 and weight 150. I'm also open to holster suggestions.

I think you are going to find the 40's slightly too snappy than desirable, but certainly not an inferior choice.

Any 9x19, 40, or 45ACP is a good choice.

As long as you wear a sweatshirt or sweater of some kind, and/or a jacket over it, you should not have any problem with imprinting.

I wear a cut-off sweatshirt in summers and long sleeved sweatshirt in winters.

I have a thin jacket for summer nights and several thick jackets for winter.

The best place to wear your gun is at the 3 oclock position on your hip and IWB. That way the muzzle does not stick out.

I am 5'7" and 140 lbs. I carry a Glock 19 and sometimes the bugger Glock 20 in an Link Removed using an SOE velcro-lined belt. This IWB holster is extremely comfortable, as it is a kydex holster with leather lining on the outside. It also takes very little room. It is extremely easy to conceal as the belt keeps the holster close to the body. The belt also is very rigid and distributes weight around the body. I use the velcro backing of the belt to mate with velcro strips that I glues on the inside of the holster loops. This prevents the holster from moving around.

I carry spare magazines in a Link Removed. This OWB magazine holster rides high and close to the body. It is very concealable, while the mags can be easily grabbed.

For open carry, I use a Safariland 7TS holster with ALS/SLS. I have moved away from the BlackHawk Serpa holster.

I am 5'7" and 140 lbs. I carry a Glock 19 and sometimes the bugger Glock 20 in an Link Removed using an SOE velcro-lined belt. This IWB holster is extremely comfortable, as it is a kydex holster with leather lining on the outside. It also takes very little room. It is extremely easy to conceal as the belt keeps the holster close to the body. The belt also is very rigid and distributes weight around the body. I use the velcro backing of the belt to mate with velcro strips that I glues on the inside of the holster loops. This prevents the holster from moving around.

I carry spare magazines in a Link Removed. This OWB magazine holster rides high and close to the body. It is very concealable, while the mags can be easily grabbed.

For open carry, I use a Safariland 7TS holster with ALS/SLS. I have moved away from the BlackHawk Serpa holster.

"... the holster close to the body ..." was my favorite part.

That's how you keep a gun warm.

And happiness is truly a warm gun.

Your welcome. Glad to make your day with that.

It's true though. At the end of the day when you take off your gun and put it under your pillow, it is indeed warm from being close to your body all day long.

I've heard pretty good things about BlackHawk. I definitely need to check them out.

I gotta a ton of different holsters I have tried and although not normally a popular choice with most, I gotta say I found that Im most comfortable with shoulder holsters. There comfortable and easy to access in any position (sitting, standing etc). Easy to carry any size gun. I really like the ease of extra ammo pouches always attached. No playing hide the gun in public bathrooms. And I dont think there as hard to conceal as most say. A light jacket or such works best but I normally just wear it under any type of button down shirt. I do get the shirts about a size larger and with snaps rather than buttons though.

. . . I normally just wear it under any type of button down shirt. I do get the shirts about a size larger and with snaps rather than buttons though.
Do you wear an undershirt under the holster when you wear it with just a shirt?

I gotta a ton of different holsters I have tried and although not normally a popular choice with most, I gotta say I found that Im most comfortable with shoulder holsters. There comfortable and easy to access in any position (sitting, standing etc). Easy to carry any size gun. I really like the ease of extra ammo pouches always attached. No playing hide the gun in public bathrooms. And I dont think there as hard to conceal as most say. A light jacket or such works best but I normally just wear it under any type of button down shirt. I do get the shirts about a size larger and with snaps rather than buttons though.

Sounds workable however you will still have quite a delay from having to in-conceal in this way.

One-thousand-one ... and your shirt is ripped open by the snaps and your hand is on your gun.

By then I can have drawn already from the 3 oclock IWB belt holster configuration.

So while it is true that shoulder holsters ARE comfortable and DO accommodate larger handguns (pistols & revolvers), they take longer to draw from concealment.

This is precisely what I noticed at the bar when the other guy tried to pick a fight with me.

So for high risk environments, I would stick with the IWB 3 oclock belt holster configuration.

Whereas for very low risk environments, a concealed shoulder holster is just fine.

Sounds workable however you will still have quite a delay from having to in-conceal in this way.

One-thousand-one ... and your shirt is ripped open by the snaps and your hand is on your gun.

By then I can have drawn already from the 3 oclock IWB belt holster configuration.

So while it is true that shoulder holsters ARE comfortable and DO accommodate larger handguns (pistols & revolvers), they take longer to draw from concealment.

This is precisely what I noticed at the bar when the other guy tried to pick a fight with me.

So for high risk environments, I would stick with the IWB 3 oclock belt holster configuration.

Whereas for very low risk environments, a concealed shoulder holster is just fine.

Are you in the wild west

Bars and pubs and poker games and downtown and out in the woods can turn into The Wild West anytime.

That's because instead of wild Indians and cattle rustlers and horse thieves we today have psychopaths and sociopaths and crime and dope traffic.

And crime can happen to you anytime anywhere.

So you need to be prepared against crime 24/7/365.

I just ordered one of the cell phone looking holsters from http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/ for my Kahr PM9 - Cool!
No printing possible, and much more accessible than a pocket holster! :)

Make sure you practice drawing from it. The holster covers up the lower part of the firearm's grip, which means your hand will not get a full grip on the firearm before removing it from the holster. A poor draw procedure executed hastily is a recipe for shooting yourself in the foot. At 1:15, this guy draws his weapon with the finger on the trigger while pointing it at his hip and leg:

I personally consider the Sneaky Pete holster a recipe for disaster and would never carry it.

I believe that IWB at 3 or 9 oclock is the best bet.

Then you also do not need to worry about disguising it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back