Cast bullet question

JohnD13

While I've been reloading for many years, I am just getting started with cast bullets. My question is about which diameter to size the bullet to. Should you be sizing to the diameter at the mouth of the cylinder, or the groove diameter of the barrel? I've read both of these opinions, and I'm a little confused about it. Thanks.

I do not cast my bullets but shoot a lot of hard cast.
Always has very good group size. And you save money.

As the former owner of Meister Bullets, inc. (the oldest and largest manufacturer of cast bullets in the U.S.) I can answer your question......we found at Meister that, for accuracy and to prevent leading (a real concern when shooting lead alloy bullets, especially if you are shooting "cheaply made" lead alloy bullets....yes, there IS a difference), we recommend shooting a hard cast, lead alloy bullet either .001" or .002" LARGER than barrel diameter. This will provide you with the best overall performance from lead alloy bullets. However, not all barrels are the same. Firearms mfgs advised us that two guns can come down the assembly line side by side and will have different diameter barrels due to cutting die wear. In reality, no two barrels are the same. So the trick is to know what your barrel diameter is and THEN size a bullet .001" to .002" larger than that diameter. The new owners of Meister Bullets have discontinued it's "Slug-Your-Barrel" kits but still have a few listed on their website. Check them out and if they have a kit for the caliber you are wanting to load buy the kit and use it to measure your gun's barrel diameter. It's quick and, most of all, very accurate, as well as being simple to use. The kit comes with everything you need to accurately measure your gun's barrel diameter. Then, match the bullet to your gun's barrel diameter. Have fun and pay attention to your reloading!!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back