Anti-seize compound on guns?

cluznar

Someone I know says they use ant-seize compound on the slide rails of their pistols. The same kind of anti-seize people use when working on car engines. It is good from 60 below to 1600 Degrees. I have used Graphite on guns in the past but never tried anti-seize compound. Anyone have any info on this?

:dirol:

My Glock came with some type of copper colored lubricant on the slide. I thought it might be some type of anti-seize. I'd be interested in hearing the responses to your question.

Anti-seize compounds were never meant to be used as a lubricant. Ask any mechanic. They dry out.
Use a good lubricant made for firearms, or a synthetic oil.

Anti-seize is never used as a 'moving-parts' lube in industry...it is ONLY used to ensure that you can loosen bolts the next time its needed for maintenance or repairs, particularly where the parts are subjected to high heats.

If ever the compounds were slopped onto moving machine parts, we were instructed to remove it with solvents or alcohol.

Use either BALISTOL or if you wish, a synthetic motor oil....either would be the better idea over using anti-seize as a rail lube.

I was in Heavy Industrial Maintenance/Machinist/Metalurgy for 30+ years.

I use Ballistol as well. Firearms and my pellet guns. Use ATF on rails and moving parts.

My wife thinks Ballistol smells like my underwear after mowing the lawn. I'm heartbroken!

I would say that using a product not made for firearms on your expensive gun or guns is playing with fire. Why bother? I use the M-Pro 7 product line, Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber (synthetic safe), and Extreme Weapons Grease on slides and wear points. Folks that rack the action on a semi-auto pistol or rifle I have cleaned and lubed are amazed by the silky smooth feel afforded by these products. There are lots more really good ones out there, too.

As far as lubricants are concerned, or ant-seize compounds for that matter, steel is steel. I use anti-seize on the nipples of my percussion rifles and pistols. It never hurt them a bit. Companies place " for guns" on their lubricants to draw sales. I have some grease made for "fine watches", and I'm not one bit afraid to use it on a gun.

I would say that using a product not made for firearms on your expensive gun or guns is playing with fire. Why bother? I use the M-Pro 7 product line, Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber (synthetic safe), and Extreme Weapons Grease on slides and wear points. Folks that rack the action on a semi-auto pistol or rifle I have cleaned and lubed are amazed by the silky smooth feel afforded by these products. There are lots more really good ones out there, too.

Lubriplate no. 105

I think the product they are refering to is probably Lubriplate NO. 105 Motor Assembly Grease.

It seems to work fine when a light weight grease is desired in firearms applications. It protects from rust, etc. I find this product at my local NAPA Auto Parts Store, NAPA Part NO. 765-2651.
It is a White Grease.
I use it mainly on sliding semi auto parts.

Bob

At this time I am using the Pro M-7 lubes and have been pleasantly surprised. I want to try both Frog Lune & Balistol (sp?) but I'm very happy with the M-7 right now. Living here in southwest Idaho we get both extremes of heat and cold, so finding a product that works for both, I'm not sure if that's possible. So keep on testing guys. Later.

Dennis in Idaho
"Keep your Powder Dry & your Ass down!"

If it rolls, or pivots, use a quality gun oil. If it slides, I use Lubriplate 130A. It's a lithium-based white grease that carries a mil-spec number, and is the grease provided for use on the M1 Garand, and on the M-14.

Anti-seize compounds are NOT lubricants.

You used anti-seize for the purpose it was intended for. Getting the nipples off after being fired.

As far as lubricants are concerned, or ant-seize compounds for that matter, steel is steel. I use anti-seize on the nipples of my percussion rifles and pistols. It never hurt them a bit. Companies place " for guns" on their lubricants to draw sales. I have some grease made for "fine watches", and I'm not one bit afraid to use it on a gun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back