CLICK HERE TO WIN A FREE GUN

A great article...

The Law

Link Removed

I wish her the best of luck!!

That's a great article. To me it seems like common sense. You should be allowed to carry if you have a permit. Of course the criminals know they won't have anyone there that can stop them.

I have a new mailbox at a place down the street for my company so I'll be going there from now on instead of the Post Office. That's one less place I have to go and leave my gun in the car.

All the Oregon legislature has to do is amend the Penal Code to place a limitation on places where a firearm cannot be carried. Texas Penal Code and CCW law prohits a firearm in a school or educational faclility, or on a School bus. This takes the burden off school districts. She may win but the legislature may put in the prohibition.

If it was allowed I would be quite hesitant to carry at work, a major mid-west university with 40,000 students. The campus is so dense with people and classrooms being next to each other and across the halls, you would be hard pressed to find a 'safe' direction to shoot an attacker without also hitting someone else. I know legislation for allowing permitted carrying of firearms on campus did not even come to a vote this year. I hope if they do allow that they make the special provision that those people get serious training to be allowed to carry. Current carry permits do not require any training, just pay the fee and pass the background check. Our campus police are equal in all respects to State Police, they carry of course. And they train, train, train. They have all day training events when classes are not in session and at least once a year train
with city police, sheriff, state, and ATF using campus buildings.

Wow! Almost 10 years! That's a record when it comes to thread resurrection.

The reason why you have this opinion is because you have likely no training yourself and therefore do not know what you are talking about. Please inform yourself about the states that already have campus carry. Since 9 states already allow some type of carry, you certainly can point me to the numerous incidents where an innocent person was shot by mistake.

It will be very easy to find the 'safe' direction to shoot an attacker without also hitting someone else. Just shoot the attacker. Everyone else is running away from him. The biggest problem is innocent people crossing your line of fire, which will end as soon as you start shooting. Everyone is then running away from you as well.

Note that a campus carry law is not only for carrying on campus, but also for carrying to and from the campus without the need to store the firearm in the car on a public off-campus road or parking lot (where it can be easily stolen).

As for training requirements, you have no clue either. One shouldn't be prevented from saving their own life by government-mandated training. Those that legally carry firearms already know very well that they are legally liable for their actions. Since you mention that you work at a university, realize that your employer may be legally liable for your actions. That's enough of a training incentive.

Law enforcement firearms training is often misunderstood. If you think your campus police is well trained in armed response, you are likely wrong. It takes about 2-3 full days of training to get someone who has never touched a firearm to the basic level of handgun training for law enforcement. The rest is then just practice.

Note that this comment comes from someone who does take training serious. I have a 4-day handgun training course coming up in a few weeks. That's around $2,000 for the class, lodging, travel, 2,000 rounds of ammo, and food.

You still can do something productive and learn other life saving skills, such as first aid for trauma injuries. People do not die instantly from gunshot wounds. They bleed out. There are well known methods to deal with this. There is no permit required to carry a life saving tourniquet, or two, or three.

Email