new want to learn

fmsmom

I am new to handguns. I am looking to buy my first handgun soon. I have experience with shotguns and rifles. I am a middle aged woman of medium build. I have hunted dove and quail since I was about 9 or 10. Pawnshops are the closest gun sales to me. The closest actual gun store is over 100 miles away. The pawnshop does have new weapons. I want to learn all I can so I am an informed consumer. I made a trip to the local pawn shop to look at weapons. The clerk was pushing a .380, I am interested in a 9mm. Now I'm more confused than ever because to someone who is uneducated they are very similar. Help I have looked online. Since I have nowhere close to try the different weapons I need honest advice. Help

I think you will end up being happier if you take the time to drive to a real gun store. You will be able to see what guns are comfortable and what ones aren't. If your gun store rents guns, even better to try them out.

I am new to handguns. I am looking to buy my first handgun soon. I have experience with shotguns and rifles. I am a middle aged woman of medium build. I have hunted dove and quail since I was about 9 or 10. Pawnshops are the closest gun sales to me. The closest actual gun store is over 100 miles away. The pawnshop does have new weapons. I want to learn all I can so I am an informed consumer. I made a trip to the local pawn shop to look at weapons. The clerk was pushing a .380, I am interested in a 9mm. Now I'm more confused than ever because to someone who is uneducated they are very similar. Help I have looked online. Since I have nowhere close to try the different weapons I need honest advice. Help

It sounds as if you also don't have a place close to you to rent any handguns and try them at a range. That is what most would recommend to you.

Here are some factors that I run through my head when selecting a firearm that I will carry with me. (is this what you are doing... or do you want one only at home?)

I'm going to assume you are carrying it on you.

Ask yourself some of these questions:

-- how do you wish to carry it on your person. (inside the waistband holster, shoulder holster, outside the waistband holster, concealed or open carry, or do you wish to get a pocket pistol and keep it in your pocket)

-- What do you want the handgun to be able to do? -- A .380 is a decent caliber for defense, however, a 9mm is more powerful. From there, a .40, or .45 is even more powerful. Personally, I would stay away from a .380 as my every day carry. I do use one but is my back up gun. My every day carry is a .40. Since you are interested in a 9mm and, because it is a good defensive round, because there are many sizes and shapes of 9mm guns out there, and because the 9mm ammunition is relatively inexpensive, I would steer you to what you were leaning toward anyway and stay with the 9mm.

-- The next question goes along with the first question? What size is good for you? Does the grip feel good to you? Is it small enough to conceal if you are going to carry concealed? Will it fit your body shape well depending on how you will carry it? The firearm should feel like an extension of you. If it doesn't then it will feel awkward and you will not like it and probably will not carry it as much. How are the sights? Do you get a good sight picture? Can you swap them out for different sights? Also, try the trigger. The trigger is important for good shots. Once you try a few triggers, you will see which you like.

There are many brands and designs of 9mm handguns. You will get as many suggestions as to which model to buy as there are people on this forum. What I would suggest to you is to try the different models in 9mm that you have available at your pawnshop and see which feel good in your hand. See which will fit your mode of carry. Lastly, don't let the dealer sell you what gun he wants to sell you. Buy the gun that works best for you.

I hope this has been helpful. Good luck to you in your search. If you narrow it down to a few models and wish to ask for suggestions about those specifically, come back and ask again.

Also, welcome to the forum!!

I think you will end up being happier if you take the time to drive to a real gun store. You will be able to see what guns are comfortable and what ones aren't. If your gun store rents guns, even better to try them out.

I'd second this. If you are going to spend the money on something you need to invest the time to make that trip and look around.

get on the net find a gun range that rent a several even if you do have to drive a100 miles it will give you the info you need to make a informed and familiar with the diferent type and cal

The opportunity to try out several different types of firearms before you make a purchase is well worth the investment in time and gas to go where you can do that. I don't think you'll regret it, and you'll learn more as well.

All are excellent suggestions. I would definitely try before you buy. I purchased a couple firearms before I found the one I wanted to carry. Most importantly, I went to a training class and listened to others and what they used or planned on buying, then I targeted on what I was going to buy, how I was going to carry, and the ammo I would use. After all that; I now teach, reload, and take more advance training whenever I can. Read everything you can in these forums, magazines, and look to the NRA for training, ways to accomplish what you want to do with your new firearm. There are many women instructors that can give you help with this process. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using USA Carry mobile app

I agree with all advise given, at your gun store inquire about safety classes, they usually have them.

Welcome, just a few things about 380 and 9mm. The 380 and 9mm are the same diameter, the 380 has less powder so it kicks less and also penetrates less thus the 9mm has more powder so it kicks more and has more knock down power.Most 380s are smaller and easyer to conceal. You should rent or barrow both and try before you buy. You might also try a revolver, very reliable and kicks about the same as a 9mm.Good luck and be safe.

Try asking friends if they have any pistols you are looking for sometimes people you know have weapons and don't advertise if they do offer to buy the ammo if they don't mind you firing theirs in their company. If no one you know has one take a day and drive to a rental because every weapon is different. Wolfe fire is correct imagine carrying the weapon if you carry concealed you don't want a cannon attached to your hip if you can handle a 9mm get it if the recoil is to much try a different gun the change maybe only a little but that change might be tolerable. If 9mm is too much try .380 but I agree try to stick with 9mm or larger good luck

good advice from everyone

don't worry about the advice of the store clerk. he may be right but he also might be prejudice too, and trying to stir you to something you don't want. know that there are a lot of (gun) sizes in both 380 and 9mm. i mostly carry open, 9mm, but if i have to cover i do carry a 380

just slow down and do your research. try not to get so uptight about it. see if there are any shooting or gun rights groups around you. find someone you trust and listen to their suggestions, but don't take it as pure gospel, they might be wrong too

personally i like to buy many different firearms. keep looking you will find something you like

If you are between .380 and a 9mm...go with the 9mm. By the time you break the gun in, you'll have saved money on ammo costs (.380 is more expensive). Pawn shops tend to push what they have on hand, where an actually dealer will push the whole line of several manufacturers.

Find somewhere you can rent, or borrow (lots of ranges have Ladies night), several manufacturers offerings. If your local shop doesn't have it, check gunbroker.com

Choosing a handgun is an exercise in compromise. The gun that conceals best may be so small and light-weight that it hurts your hand to shoot. A gun that hurts to shoot will not get practiced with much. The deeper you conceal, the slower it will be to get that gun out when you need it. Compromises.

No matter how you plan to carry, there are a couple of considerations. First, as has been mentioned, the gun has to fit your hand well; it should feel good and point naturally. This makes it easier to shoot well and deliver rapid follow-up shots - other important considerations. Shot placement is key. A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .45. That said, I recommend the heaviest weight bullet in the largest caliber that you can shoot well. If that is a .45, great. If it's a 9mm, great. The larger calibers will mean physically larger pistols, which can be more challenging to conceal well. Your body type and how you dress will impact that.

As I said, it's about compromise. Most people recommend trying before buying and I will echo that. When my daughter was looking for her first carry piece, we went to a large chain so she could handle a variety of pistols. We made a list of those that felt good in her hand and had decent triggers. Then we went to a range that rented and tried about five before she settled on one. Since you're looking for a tool that you can turn to in a life-threatening emergency, it's worth the time and energy to do it right.

Good luck in your search.

Thank you all for the wonderful information you have given me so far. I plan to take the conceal carry course but since I'm so unfamiliar with the weapons I want to learn more before I take the course. I believe in being informed and educated. It looks like I'm taking a trip to the city soon. I'm not in a big hurry but I also don't want to wait too long. I will also look to see if there is a range that I can try different weapons. I will ask some of my friends if they have weapons or know of any places that rent weapons to shoot at the range.

I am a newbie too--BUT in my limited experience and IMHO -I lve 9mms

looking to buy(once I get a pistol permit) beretta 92 fs and/or storm 9x4

cz 75(you may like the 7 series as it is les s heavy) and springfield armory(xd service or xds) all in 9mm+ a s+w 22lr for target practice. My wife is medium build with arthritis of her hands--I went with a striker fired springfield(xd or xds) for her)..Once we have our permits--we will buy these and off to the range we go--the home invasions here are outlandish( remember Cheshire Ct--that family was doomed from the start) ..best of luck enjoy

Please be aware: a pocket-pistol .380 is far more uncomfortable to shoot than a full-size 9mm. If a pistol is more comfortable, you will want to practice more often. And through practice, you can become excellent.

Nothing better, or cheaper, to learn pistol shooting than a good 'ol .22. And that includes maintaining skill after you move on to something else. I still train with a Ruger MKIII 22/45 between sessions with my 9mm or .45ACP.

Find a certified NRA instructor in your area and take the Basic Pistol Course. He or she will usually provide an assortment of handguns in various calibers for you to shoot during the range portion of the class. When I took the class it cost $150, but was well worth it. My instructor had us fire .22 revolver, .22 semi automatic, .38 revolver, 9mm semi auto, and .45 ACP semi auto. Most NRA instructors will offer a ladies only class, if that is important to you. A side benefit to the class is the friends I made. Good luck. You'll find that the first handgun leads to more. What fun.

Nothing better, or cheaper, to learn pistol shooting than a good 'ol .22. And that includes maintaining skill after you move on to something else. I still train with a Ruger MKIII 22/45 between sessions with my 9mm or .45ACP.

Hi Mtdineen-- you seem in the know-- can you tell me if cheap FMJ 9mm luger is available at close to the .22lr price? I may NOT get that .22lr if it can be done

so far the least expensive 9mm fmj I have seen is about 35 cents a round and .22lr rimfired can be had for 15-17 cents a round(priced for 500-1000 rounds on th e net)

If the 9mm could be had @ a lower price, I would just buy 9mm handguns and practice with them instead of a 22lr

As said before a lot of good advice gone before. Despite what you would like to carry remember the old saying better to have a smaller pistol that you carry more/all of the time then to have your favorite which you keep at home more/all of the time due to the awkwardness of its size or weight. Once you start narrowing it down search the models that you are interested in on the net for criticisms/praise. Check out you tube videos for reviews (one excellent reviewer is hickock45, although there are a number out there). Good luck, if it's any help my wife has a 9mm Glock 26 and a .380 Sig P238 which she adores and takes most of the time just because it is so easy to carry. Sneaky Pete does a holster for it that looks like a smartphone pouch, really effective! For a .380 the recoil is very comfortable and has nice sights to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back