Conceal carry position

bond1973

Wondering where people carry on themselves and what they do with their firearm when driving. I am new to CC and have been carrying IWB at small of back because it's comfortable, I have a gut and unless I am bending at the waist, it stays pretty well concealed. Part of the problem could be my current carry (Ruger P95), ordering a holster for my Shield soon. Carrying small of back poses a problem when I get into my car. I usually unholster it and place it on my passenger seat or at my feet. I tried carrying IWB at about 4 o'clock today and while it allows me to keep it holstered... I find it otherwise uncomfortable. Just looking for input from others and more experienced.

Take Care

Sent from my A500 using USA Carry mobile app

other than that position being uncomfortable for you it is almost impossible for you to have quick access to you gun.

I carry a full-size Glock in either a Blackhawk Serpa, or an IWB Kholster at around 2:30-3:00. The seatbelt just goes over the holster, but I can still reach the firearm. I'm also 6"1 and 220lbs.

I have issue with small of the back carry for a couple of reasons: 1) if you fall you will injure your spine, and 2) it is uncomfortable if you sit down with anything that has a seat back.

Having a loose, loaded firearm in a car, either on the seat or on the floor is incredibly dangerous should you happen to get into a car accident. Now you have a heavy steel object flying around inside your car. If some other debris happens to hit the trigger, your accident just got more deadly. Find a spot on your person where it will stay.

BTW, welcome to the forum bond1973. We hope you enjoy your stay here.

I carry either a compact, or subcompact glock, at 3 o'clock. Buy a good iwb retention holster and do it. I tried carrying at the 4 or 5 o'clock position for a while, and although it was pretty comfortable, I felt like the gun printing when sitting or bending over. Took about a full day to get used to the 3 o'clock position in a Galco king Tuk holster. No problems leaving the weapon holstered while driving, and I don't worry about printing with my everyday clothing, which is usually a button down shirt in the summer.

I normally carry around 4 o'clock. It's comfortable, it conceals, driving isn't a problem, and provided I "unconceal" (pull my shirt/jacket up over it) when I get in the car, it's pretty easy to access. I finally found a holster that allows for appendix, but it's difficult to get it comfortable. Haven't tried driving with that yet... I do want to use it more when I can, especially with as icy as it is, because even at 4:00 the end of the gun touches my spine. The location on my back makes injury unlikely, but the damage possible with back injuries is kind of the one you want to avoid at all costs.

I carry my S&W 915 in a shoulder holster so it is always easy to get at no matter if walking, driving, or riding my motorcycle. No worry about shirt ride up either.

I have been carrying my glock in a kangaroo carry lately. I sit at a desk or in my car much of the day and my physique is not conducive to IWB. I find it extremely uncomfortable. The shoulder holster allows my to access my weapon while in my car or at the desk with no problem. The Kangaroo carry allows me to keep the weapon virtually invisible. The comfort level is also off the charts. I have a box of holsters but the ones I use most often are pocket holsters (depending on the depth of my pockets) or shoulder rig. I have a couple of OWB holsters as well but for practical purposes the others are my go to solutions.

I have several holsters for my EDC, and the funny thing is that the one that was the cheapest is the most comfortable. I carry a springfield xdm 40, 3.8 in a "sticky holster". I have heard some complain about having to take it out to re-holster, but i guess my question would be why are you taking it out unless there is a threat? I have no problem with re-holstering of mine. The holster is 29 bucks and you can just slide it in anywhere, no clips or leather, and it stays put period. You can google sticky holster for the site. I also have one for my ruger lc9 with laser, which is what i take while out for a run, and it stays put as well, just my thoughts, i also like my galco mini tuck and carry at the 330 to 4 oclock position and not an issue while driving or sitting, good luck as we all have our preferences

Small of back is not a comfortable position for driving, especially for a large frame pistol like the P95. I have been carrying for years and teaching CCW classes for for what its worth...I carry just behind my right hip. My CCW firearms are the Kel-Tec PF-9, Springfield Armory XDS 45, Rock Island Armory 1911A1 CS, Ruger SP101 and my S&W 638. the Shield is a very popular firearm and many of my friends and co-workers own one. I only own 9mm and .45 ACP pistols but my revolvers are .38 special through .357Magnum. there are tons of holsters also and I like the basic slide IWB holster, pancake OWB when wearing a jacket or billowing shirt, Askins style and the IWB clip-on with a forward cant. Wherever possible, I also order my IWB holsters with a slide guard to protect both the gun from my perspiration amd me from chafing.

SOB (Small Of Back) might well be the worst position for carry of any of them. Draw is slow, seated access is very difficult at best, ability to defend the gun is nigh unto nonexistent. Oh, and if you're knocked down with it there, you're going to be bending your spine over the gun or perhaps punching a kidney with it. I've heard SOB referred to a the 'widowmaker' position for those reasons.

I carry appendix or 'anti-appendix' (either about 1:00-2:00 or 11:00-10:00). I have carried crossdraw at 9:00 as well. Before I understood it was such a bad position, I carried SOB at one time as well. I favor appendix or anti- nowadays.

I carry at 3:00 in a leather holsters I make, it does not bother me in the car and I can reach it and draw with no problem. Either a Sig P250c 9mm or a Keltec PF9, sometimes a XP40sc.

First off, driving any vehicle with an unholstered/unsecured pistol/revolver is a recipe for disaster. At very least, secure it in your console or glove box until you get set up with a better solution.

Myself, my EDC is generally a CZ 75D Compact PCR in an IWB at 2:30, same thing if I carry a full size CZ 75B or 1911AI Govt. I'm 5'10", and carry a fat-assed gut presently weighing in at 250 lbs. I can strap into my seat belt with no problem and can easily access the pistols just as effectively as outside the vehicle. If I'm running errands or bouncing around town I generally don't even bother unholstering. However, when I'm taking longer trips or on the open highway, I will wear a shoulder holster or preferably secure it (or a second piece such as my S&W 4" 686+ .357 Mag) in an under-the-steering wheel mount (Gum Creek Customs) in my truck.

Here's a link to Gum Creek: Vehicle Handgun Mount | Vehicle Gun Mount | Steering Wheel Gun Holster

The holster I use for the Gum Creek set-up is a cheap Ace Case Nylon IWB with Velcro retention strap, sized for the 4" S&W revolver. That holster works just fine for all the CZ's and 1911 too. Access, if needed, is quick...the Velco retention strap easily breaks free with a simple tug...no frogging around with snaps/buttons etc.

I carry either a compact, or subcompact glock, at 3 o'clock. Buy a good iwb retention holster and do it. I tried carrying at the 4 or 5 o'clock position for a while, and although it was pretty comfortable, I felt like the gun printing when sitting or bending over. Took about a full day to get used to the 3 o'clock position in a Galco king Tuk holster. No problems leaving the weapon holstered while driving, and I don't worry about printing with my everyday clothing, which is usually a button down shirt in the summer.

This^^^

3:30 to 4:00 seems to be the most comfortable, but I can't seem to draw while belted into my car from that position. So, it's 3:00 for me. Glad I am carrying a light weight Shield in 9mm too. CC gets easier every day.

Right now I carry my G27 @4:00 and my Taurus 738 in a back pocket holster. Still learning what would be best for me. I used to carry a G17 in a shoulder holster.

All things being said, no one can tell you what position to carry in. It is what ever is most comfortable for YOU. Consider what you are doing at home, work and for recreation. Obviously you can;t wear a shoulder holster on a construction job wearing a t-shirt. Consider gun size, clothing , and activity. Only tyou can fill that bill.

I carry either a Kahr CM9 or a Ruger KLCR .357mag/.38spl-both Cross Draw at 10:00, (I am right handed), or in a Galco Classic Lite Shoulder Holster for the Kahr, and a modified Galco Lite with a Nevada Leather Upside Down Holster for the Ruger KLCR, especially when on long drives or sitting at home. At the 10:00 position, I use Multiholster OWB Paddles, or a Andrews MacDaniel II for the Kahr iWB, and a leather 2 strap on Talon for the Ruger CD. I am currently waiting for a Fist #42 Driving/CD holster for my Ruger, which will probably be my EDC all the time, with a full Speedloader in my right pocket. Anyway, love the CD position for many reasons and with practice is a crazy fast draw, comfortable in almost all scenarios, easier to conceal than most think, (even in summertime), and a "natural" draw stroke, do not need to be a contortionist to access the weapon, all above is IMHO. Take care and good luck.

Thank you all for the input. So many options in position and holsters. I have found a spot in my vehicle that doesn't allow to fly around freely until I figure out something more permanent. Trying to figure out which holster I want for my shield 9mm and plan for it to become my edc and will then try different positions. IWB, I believe, is going to be my method due to my typical clothing style. Thanks again all... Good to get input from the more experience, though I do realize it's mostly personal preference.

Wondering where people carry on themselves and what they do with their firearm when driving. I am new to CC and have been carrying IWB at small of back because it's comfortable, I have a gut and unless I am bending at the waist, it stays pretty well concealed. Part of the problem could be my current carry (Ruger P95), ordering a holster for my Shield soon. Carrying small of back poses a problem when I get into my car. I usually unholster it and place it on my passenger seat or at my feet. I tried carrying IWB at about 4 o'clock today and while it allows me to keep it holstered... I find it otherwise uncomfortable. Just looking for input from others and more experienced.

Take Care

I didn't read the whole thread but I'm sure I'm not going to be the first to tell you that small of back is one of the worst places to carry your firearm. high risk of spinal damage if you fall, or are pushed backward onto it, or slip on some stairs and land on it. Also it's the hardest place to reach, with the possible exception of an ankle holster which I also do not recommend.

I personally carry either with a hybrid (crossbreed style) holster at about 4 o'clock IWB, or at high noon with an appendix carry smaller firearm.

CCW Carry

Take Care

I doubt there is an optimal position for anyone considering the number of options of holster types, carry positions, type of weapon used and various environments you may be encountering. So far I've found my main carry [FNS40] is the OWB high ride Pro Carry On Duty belt loop with thumb break retention strap at 4 o'clock works well for me. When warmer weather doesn't allow for coats or larger shirts, a simple Blackhawk #2 pocket holster works fine for my Taurus TP738 380. It may take a few tries to find what works best in your situation, and the more options you have, the better off you'll be. This can get costly, and if you're married, usually troublesome. Best of luck to ya.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back