CLICK HERE TO WIN A FREE GUN

License required for concealed carry...

NavyLCDR

As long as I don't possess a handgun with "a purpose to attempt to unlawfully employ the handgun, knife, or club as a weapon against a person", I can't find the Arkansas law that makes it illegal to conceal the handgun without a license. Can anyone cite the law that makes it illegal to conceal the handgun without a license? THANKS!

Maybe?

If I do not possess a valid license, how does that statute apply to me? The very first words of that statute are "(a) Any licensee possessing a valid license issued pursuant to this subchapter" If I am not a licensee possessing a valid license then how can that statute apply to me? There is no prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun without the license in that statute.

Why don't you test it out. Conceal a handgun and walk up to an officer and ask him if it is ok that you carry a concealed firearm without a valid permit. I am sure you will get your answer.

Why don't you test it out. Conceal a handgun and walk up to an officer and ask him if it is ok that you carry a concealed firearm without a valid permit. I am sure you will get your answer.

Considering how well-versed some cops are in the particulars of the law... probably not!

You should have posted the whole statute.

5-73-120. Carrying a weapon.
(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon if he or she possesses a handgun, knife, or club on or about his or her person, in a vehicle occupied by him or her, or otherwise readily available for use with a purpose to attempt to unlawfully employ the handgun, knife, or club as a weapon against a person.

It's legal speak, but feel free to be a test case.

Won't be much longer before we ALL become "test cases".....

Sent from behind enemy lines.

But now you need to post the whole statute:

Seems to me that a license is only required when in a motor vehicle.

But now you need to post the whole statute:

Seems to me that a license is only required when in a motor vehicle.

However, you posted the OLD statute. The new statute changes (c) to read: "It is permissible to carry a handgun under this section if at the time of the act of carrying a weapon:" then there were minor changes to the conditions that followed. This is important because the words "it is a defense to prosecution" implies that something is actually prohibited. The words "it is permissible" mean just that. However, not that it does NOT say "it is ONLY permissible". If I write a statement that says it is permissible to wear red socks with blue shoes - that is what it means. But that does not mean that it is prohibited to wear green socks with purple shoes. It only defines possibilities - not requirements. The words "it is permissible" do not imply that anything else is prohibited due to the absence of the word "ONLY".

Email