your other interests?

DrLewall

Charter Member
So besides guns and such, what other interests do you have? As many of you know, I am also in to motorcycles..what you don't know is that I am also into Jeeps and Kayaks
Link Removed
Link Removed

You mean there's something besides guns? :eek:

All kidding aside, I like to go backpacking and camping though I don't seem to get out as much as I would like. :D

I am also very into float tube fly fishing, Alpine skiing and ski racing.
We also spend time in our Yahama Rhino and 4x4 trucks. My wife is heavily into horses.

spc :)

I play Go, which is an ancient Eastern strategy game. "If chess is a battle, Go is an entire war".

Link Removed

Link Removed

Go is a fascinating board game that originated in China more than 4,000 years ago. Also known as baduk, wei ch'i, weiqi, and igo, it is played today by millions of people, including thousands in the United States. In Japan, Korea, China, and Taiwan, it is far more popular than chess is in the West, and professional players compete for large cash prizes. Its popularity in this country continues to grow, more than fifty years after the founding of the American Go Association.

It is said that the rules of go can be learned in minutes, but that it can take a lifetime to master the game.

Two players alternate in placing black and white stones on a large (19x19 line) ruled board, with the aim of surrounding territory. Stones are never moved, and only removed if they are completely surrounded. The game rewards patience and balance over aggression and greed; the balance of influence and territory may shift many times in the course of a game, and a strong player must be prepared to be flexible but resolute.

Like the Eastern martial arts, Go can teach concentration, balance, and discipline. One cannot disguise one's personality on the Go board.

The game combines beauty and intellectual challenge. It can be played on a traditional, carved wooden board, with black and white stones made from slate and clamshell, or on a paper board with plastic stones. In either case, the patterns formed by the black and white stones are visually striking and can exercise an almost hypnotic attraction as one "sees" more and more in the constantly evolving positions.

"Good shape" is the highest compliment one can pay to a move in the game of go. The game appeals to many kinds of minds -- to musicians and artists, to mathematicians and computer programmers, to entrepreneurs and options traders. Children learn the game readily and can reach high levels of mastery.

Because go lends itself to a uniquely reliable system of handicaps, players of widely disparate strengths can enjoy relatively even contests. The game can be a casual pastime for the idle hour -- or a way of life. Michael Redmond, the only Western player to have won status as a middle-level professional player in Asia, when asked why he had devoted his life to go, replied, "Because I love the game."

Last edited:
My interests seem to change daily. I have got the ADD so things are always creeping into my mind. I always have 6 or so irons in the fire. Once I figure it out I am done with it. Have to be careful not to blow cash on temporary projects.

I have held onto a few things over the years. Guns, computers and kayaking. I am in IT for a living and I think the constantly changing landscape keeps me satisfied.

Currently paddling a Seward Navigator.

Looks like you have got a nice rig there.

Scuba diving, it's so serene and beautiful 80 ft down and looking a shark in the eye. Traveling is also high on the list along with going to my little cabin up in Big Sky Country AKA Montana. And oh yeah drining Guiness

I enjoy woodworking. I have a nice little shop behind the house (needs to be bigger). I enjoy photography ( have a 12.3 megapixel Fuji s3 pro, Nikon 35mm, pentax 35mm, Medium format camera, and a film darkroom). Kind of strange since I never post pictures :) . I also enjoy reloading (which is kind of guns so I don't know if that counts)

Jc40

I like to hike and miss the adirondak mountains where i lived before florida.I also like camping,fishing and canoeing.

Dear Dr Lewall

After living almost all my life in the Nevada desert I just have to ask what is all that green stuff and who put all that water in that thingamajig? Don't tell me it's real because every one knows there are no such things as trees and water just alaying about on the surface of the earth. It's got to be some kind of optical delusion like the US Congress!

A lot of my hobbies include the outdoors. Hiking, mtn. biking, climbing ( trees, no rocks yet ), paintball, camping, minor hunting. I also enjoy photography. I just picked up a nice diggy slr for my wife for Christmas last year, but I still prefer my 35 mm antique Canon AT-1. If I am stuck indoors, I am an xbox live junkie !!!! My forum name is my gamertag.

Of course, there are more, but that is just the main ones.

ISHI - I obtained Go from my uncle a few years ago before he passed away from cancer. I never learned to play. Noone here seems to have heard of it. But, it is always something I wanted to do. I have played Othello since I was a lad. From my understanding, it is somewhat similar in nature to Go. Is that true?

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back