Your first memory of shooting as a kid.

Arh75

I figured that many if not all of us here,have a really special memory of our first time shooting. It might be with your grandad or dad or anyone really. Mine was with my dad who has passed away recently and I was 5 with his 12ga over under with him holding me and POW!! Lol I shot an old birds nest! I thought it was like fireworks and I was hooked! Please share any of your stories!

I would have been about 5 ('69-'70) and I'm sitting on dad's lap at the base range squeezing the trigger of some sort of military weapon (M-16, M-60, M2).

I was also around 5 years old.
My dad's 12 gauge Ithaca pump shotgun I believe it was.
My dad stood back to watch me aiming with the barrel resting over a tree stump.
I carefully took aim at a tin can...as I pulled the trigger...BOOM!
It knocked my onto my butt and scared the crap out of me!
I cried and cried.
I refused to go near that shotgun again until I was around 10 years old.
LOL!

I was probably around 8 when my father and grandfather introduced me to their 410/22 over and under. Was a great gun and I wish I had it. My grandfather lived right on the Wapsipinicon river, we would shoot things that floated by. Good times. I miss you Dad and Gramps.

My first time shooting... sadly. I don't remember. I'm pretty sure it was between 5-10 years old with my dad. But sadly I don't remember those years to well. The.first time I remember was with my "girlfriend" and her step dad. I say "girlfriend" because I was 14-15 and it was innocent.
I shot his 30-06 and 308 and i out shot him every time. He didn't like me after that :)

My older brother and my cousin were sitting on our propane tank shootin my brothers 870 12GA. I was 7 at the time. I begged my brother to shoot the gun, so he helped me climb up to sit on the tank. Man I still remember how heavy the gun felt back then. I pulled the trigger, next thing I remember was coming too on the ground. Bobby was begging me not to tell my parents. my arm was so banged up, I was crying. My dad came outside, he was so mad. My dad bought me a .410 shortly there after. I guess he figured I was going to try to do it again.

I was about 9-10 when I shot my 1st 12 gauge, it's not my 1st memory ot shooting but it is my most memorable. It was a single shot and my dad topd me that it didn't kick that bad (yeh right), he said lean into it and pull it tight when. Needless to say they got a good laugh as I went back a few steps, but it taught me how to hold onto a gun real quick. That shotgun is still in my safe 25 yrs later and it's not going any where.

I must have been around 6? My dad, brother and I. First shot a ruger 10/22 then a .44 carbine. My brother (older) was shooting a bolt action .223, and an ar-15. Great times, all my childhood memories were range time with dad, and reloading.

You guys were some tough youngsters. My first memory is at seven years old at my uncle's "farm", shooting a .410 at 7-up and Budweiser cans. It hurt. A lot.

I'm tougher now.

Began at about seven-years-old with my father. First taught with a BB gun and bow, then a .22 and by about ten-years-old I shot my first revolver. He took the mystery out of guns at a young age.

We never cared about guns. It was fun. And we were taught respect and rules. We shot with our fathers. No one had to lock-up the gun in the 1960's. Kids just didn't seem to flip-out like today.

My first time was at Mini Point Scout Camp in the Boy Scouts. It was a .22 bolt action rifle. Nothing like you guys who shot the shotguns but I'll never forget it. My troop was a bunch of misfits so we got kicked out of the camp. At least I made it to rifle day!

I was really short when I was a kid,and the 1st time I shot a "real" gun was around age 6 or so. It was a single shot 20 gauge with birdshot. The gun was longer than I was tall!

My dad had me get down on one knee, so I could rest my elbow on it to help hold the gun up... Bang! Next thing I knew, I was lying on the ground with the shotgun lying on top of me and my dad and big brother laughing, it was awesome!

I was 8 shooting for the first time the rifle my grandpa bought me the day i was born. Then my dads lever break open .410 that he still has have been hooked ever since

My first shooting memories were of an Ithaca single shot .410, we had a clay pigeon thrower in our backyard. I remember feeling the difference when they snuck in a 3" magnum, felt much different but shootable still.

I must have been 6-8 years old. This gun is still in my safe, looking almost as good as it did back then.

I don't remember the first time I shot, but i must have been very young. My dad gave me a .410 when I was 9, I still have it and you couldn't buy it for any price. BUT I do remember my first full auto (tommy gun). I was 12, I pulled the triger, the barrel climbed up as I landed on my glutious maximus. From that point forward I knew I had to have one. that dream came true about 20 years ago,(simi auto) love that weapon.

I was around 5 and we used to shoot tin cans off fence posts in the front yard. (On the farm.) I would sit with my grandfather for what seemed forever shooting with him. Like many of you, I miss my granddad and dad. Somewhere there is a picture of my sister doing the same thing at around 5. I was 8 years older. Those were good times!

My dad, grandpa and I would go pheasant hunting. We had pheasant for all the holiday dinners when we went to that side of the family. We would hunt all day, I think I was used as a retriever. On the way back my dad would hand me his high standard 22 semi auto pistol and let me shoot at cans in the ditches, I think I was about 5-6. I remember it all like it was yesterday. God bless them both. I miss them both greatly.

I was probably 10 went shooting with my brother who is 12 yrs older than me. He brought along his father in law. He had an old single shot 12 gauge. I was scared to shoot it but he told me to hang on to her tight and she would just give you a nudge and let you know she was there. I fell in live with shooting that day and have loved it every since.

I was maybe 5. It was a 12 Gage & I was shooting a rabbit. My dad didn't realise I was shooting a magnum load. He felt really bad and after talking to me for several minutes he convinced me to try again. I have been shooting ever since.

I did hit the rabbit.....one shot, one kill.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back