Your feedback on my 1st conceal holster

Holio4

I'm looking to buy my 1st holster for best concealment and of course comfort, and I really would rather not have to experiment and have to buy multiple holsters. First off, I will be carrying a 1911 Springfield Champion .45 (4" barrel w/7 round mag) not a very fat grip but the butt is a little large. I'm a skinny guy and I do not wear excesively loose clothing, but pretty much can always have my shirt untucked. I borrowed a friends "thunderwear" (which would be inside the belt at pretty much 12 o'clock), and even with a sweatshirt covering it, to me it still seemed quite noticable. Maybe it was just me not being used to it, and I was looking for it. I'm just thinking that i'm too thin to try and conceal in front. I like the idea of a shoulder holster but of course not it warm weather, but i'm in Minnesota so I could make it work almost half of the year. I need to know if a shoulder holster will hold the gun tight to my ribs, not flop around. I'm just not sure what the drawbacks are to the S/H. So for the warm months, and I also do physical labor outdoors (in both good and bad parts of town)and need to stay cool, I'm considering a small of the back holster on the belt. I'm thinking that may be my best option. Whichever holster I use, I plan on learning a fast draw no matter what, i'll just have to take the time to practice. Also I forgot to mention that my gun is single action with ambi thumb safety, and of course also has the grip safety. I plan on carrying cocked and locked. Could someone also tell me the 3 levels of carry?
I have heard that a single action 1911 should be carried cocked and locked, is that correct?
I appreciate your comments, thank you

As I remember it:
Condition One is cocked and locked.
Condition Two has magazine inserted, but no round in the chamber.
Condition Three is unloaded.

I have trouble remembering them because mine are always either cocked and locked, or unloaded for storage or cleaning.

I also carry a 1911, cocked and locked. I've carried this way for the past 3 years without any issue. I carry in a comp-tac Infidel IWB holster and love it. It holds the pistol snug and very comfortable. One other thing that I like about that holster is that for an extra $13 you can get the tucker strut for those times you need to dress up and tuck your shirt in. Hope this helps.

Link Removed

I would either go with one of the Comp-Tac's like Kimber described. They also make the Minotaur, which has the leather backing that acts as a sweat shield. The C-Tac is also great.

The other one I really like is the Crossbreed Super Tuck. Very comfortable, and very concealable.

For the money the Crossbreed Supertuck is very nice. I did have one of my belt clips break, but they sent me 2 more in a matter of days under the lifetime warranty. I have never liked small of back carry. I simply could not sit down with a pistol sticking in my back.

Good luck.

You will end up buying more holsters than you ever thought you would ...

Thunderware ... the term "De-Coker" comes to mind ... not my choice.

I do not like small of the back, as it hurts my back.

I like my shoulder rig, desipe obvious issues (including the "Its pointed at someone "Line")
and I like my belt holster...

For both I wear a simple cover shirt... from thin to thick, short or long sleeved, Hawaii print to plane...

IWB is not my idea of comfort either.

I carry a full size Glock 21 or a 1911 - 5" and have little issue with being seen, and never questioned....

This will be the first of s slue of opinions ... you will have to go with what wrks for you, not just other's opinions..

O and yes Cocked and Locked condition 1

For the last year or so, I have used a Mernickle conceal carry belt holster. Mine doesn't have a thumb break, but I have never needed it. It holds the firearm secure without a problem. As you do physical labor, you may want to consider the thumb break (holds the firearm secure with physical activity). I have to have my shirt out, but holds my Springfield EMP close to my body. It is very concealed and is pretty comfortable too. I carry with one in the chamber, cocked, with the safety on. I have never had a problem.

The small of the back holster: if you were ever to fall on your back... You said you live in MN; gets a wee bit slippery up there now-n-then. Galco has a number of shoulder systems. They have an interesting one called the X-project that looks like it would hold your Springer close and snug and also allows it to be converted to a belt holster. 1911's are designed to be carried cocked and locked; it has 2 safeties. Good luck. Let us know.

Holster choices

As others will tell you.....you will buy many and only like some. I can't stand IWB. I cannot find one that is comfortable and have quite a few of them. I have a Smart Carry and do like, but only with a compact weapon and not a full size. I love my Shoulder Holster (Galco Jackass Rig) for my Glock 30!!! I prefer to wear OWB now with a cover shirt. I always wear Hawaiian Shirts in Summer, fits well with the fact I am a surfer! I also utilize untucked shirts with longer shirt tails for cover. Most Polo Long Sleeve shirts work well. If I wear a suit, the suit coat covers well also. Also, my Patriots Tom Brady Jersey (Blue) covers well as does my Bruins Jersey and my Red Sox (away) jersey. You will do a lot of experimentation when it comes to mode of dress and holster selection. Go with what works for you.

Surfcc

I carry my Taurus PT1911 in a Bob Mernickle OWB holster. It works for me with a vest or light jacket. I use the same model for my Kahr CW9. My Sig P229 rides in a Galco Royal Guard IWB, but I'll probably end up with a Merenickle holster for it as well. Something about my build won't let me get by with just an untucked shirt, no matter which gun/holster combo I try.

I also really like the Tactical 5.11 holster shirts, especially when I'm on my motorcycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just remember, opinions are like belly buttons.....everybody has one. Here is mine, I carry my 1911 in a Bianchi 105, sz 14. Right side high on my hip with a cover shirt. I try-ed the IWB at 6 O'Clock but didn't like it at all. Every time I bent over it would print, Uncomfortable as heck to sit down and if you sit in a vehicle with a seatbelt it is impossible to get to it.I know some will say take it out when in a car, but what if it is someone else's car and you don't want them to know that you carry.

I always carry cocked and locked.
1. If things go south you don't need to worry about racking one in
2. If some one was to grab your offside arm it is very hard to chamber a 1911 with your teeth.

I'm a huge Milt Sparks fan. I have had several Versa-Max II holsters for SIGs, Glocks and now my EDC a Commander sized 1911... yes C&L, is there any other way? This holster is a close to perfect as an IWB holster can be and I highly recommend it.

The dynamic nature of individual physical differences, preferences, and so on means that if you want to find a really good holster, you're going to have to experiment unless you just happen to get lucky on the first try. There's no one-fits-all solution.

Since you're in Minnesota and winter is fast approaching, you could probably go with an OWB rig and just wear a jacket over it for right now, while you look for with something that offers better concealment under a shirt. I often carry my Beretta FS92 that way with no printing, just using a zip-up windbreaker. Even if you never find an IWB that will be suitable, you can do different things to make OWBs work for you.

I have several of just about every type of holster there is. The draw back to a SOB as mentioned is if you land on your back it can cause serious injury. You have to be careful about bending over and flashing also. The main thing for me and shoulder holsters is I find them uncomfortable. They pull and put pressure on the base of my neck. Comfort is also the problem with most inside the waist band holsters. If I was a lot slimmer they might work better but they dig into my fat gut. I find the outside the waist band on strong side carry the best all around with occasions when I like a cross draw also.

Everyone posting on this thread so far has made some good points, and you should weigh all those things. Let us know what you end up settling on.

Well here is my two cents.

All 1911's should be carried "Cocked & Locked",fully loaded with a round in chamber. That's how they were desighned to be carried.

I love Kramer for all my concealed holsters.
IWB holsters work great for "ME", they may not be comfortable,but carrying that way is comforting.
I never print,and I can get to my gun FAST.

But that's just ME.

You will have to practice,train,and buy many holsters,to find out what's best for you.

Take Care,
Steve......
Si vis pacem,Parabellum

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back