Your Chance to ask a Firearm Instructor

are there any disabled instuctors from mn here in chairs
are there any that that will teach shooting and moving to a disabled person in a chair

As I look at all the guns and equipment and impressed by laser aiming devices I fail to see their merit much in a self defense combat position which usually is on very close quarters. I can see however where may be somewhat helpful in low or no light combat situations. Anyone care to try and "sell me" on equipping my CCW with a laser?

No. I encourage students to train with a red dot if they wish, but seriously discourage use of one on a carry gun. One reason is that if you come to rely on it, you will be out of luck if the battery fails. It is far better to train yourself to aim and shoot without it.

A red dot is useful to train in "point and shoot" especially, but I see little other advantage to using one.

No. I encourage students to train with a red dot if they wish, but seriously discourage use of one on a carry gun. One reason is that if you come to rely on it, you will be out of luck if the battery fails. It is far better to train yourself to aim and shoot without it.

A red dot is useful to train in "point and shoot" especially, but I see little other advantage to using one.

I agree. I have seen people become totally useless when I force a battery failure on them at the range. Pretty sobering for them to realize they completely rely on that little red dot to hit the target.

I live in Maine and would like to know what steps I need to take to become a ccw instructor. Any help would really be appreciated!

I just recently received my non-resident CCW for the state of Virginia. I live in Missouri. I received a CCW id card from Virginia that has my picture and info on it. Do I need to go to DMV in Missouri and have another picture taken and have MO issue a new CCW card?

You can only get the MO CCW ID by taking the course here. You can use your VA non resident CCW but its not accepted in as many states as the MO CCW. For example it's not accepted in KS or CO.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Each state has there own laws that you have to go by. If you take a course online, then my advise is to the sheriffs office in your area and get the manual so you can be up to date on the laws in that state. If it is for another state then i would call the sheriffs office in that state an have them send you a manual from that state.

I'm cross eye dominant and want to learn to shoot a handgun. I don't really want to learn to shoot left handed at this point. I've been canting my head and closing my non dominant eye to aim thus far, but I still seem to have a hard time aiming. I've tried to shoot with my right eye, but have a really hard time keeping it open when I close my left. Other than using a patch to re-train my eyes, do you have any advice that would make learning to shoot a handgun any easier??

Carrying a loaded sidearm.

Yes, this is about what I expected. It doesn't seem like it would fire, but it also doesn't seem like a good idea.

Thank you for the reply!

Carrying a unloaded weapon does no good other than, if your a real good poker player, you can bluff your way out of trouble, hopefully, that is if the other guy/gal does not have a firearm. At this point all it is, is a piece of metal! I guess you could always use your gun as a hammer, or you could throw it at them. But be ready to be charged with "Brandishing" a weapon, which is against the law. If your pistol has a decocker on it , then charge the weapon, decock it, and then holster it and leave it alone. This way your ready for whatever trouble might come your way.

Remember, First and foremost, why your carrying a cw in the first place, to "protect yourself and your loved ones" Nothing more nor less.

Think about this, if the perp is 20 to 30 feet away from you, which is a good distance away, so you think, he/she can cover that distance in about 2 - 3 second's, a lot faster than you can pull, rack/chamber a round, and then find your target/perp and shoot!!! If you carry a revolver, then its different, still you have to draw, and a quire the target, hopefully while doing it calmly and not under stress, which we all know is not going to be the case. What people/CCW's don't understand is that you have to make a life or death decision, in a matter of seconds, which will forever change your life. Just remember things are going to happen super fast and that you want to be on the winning side of the confrontation.

posted by Jgirl...I'm cross eye dominant and want to learn to shoot a handgun. I don't really want to learn to shoot left handed at this point. I've been canting my head and closing my non dominant eye to aim thus far, but I still seem to have a hard time aiming. I've tried to shoot with my right eye, but have a really hard time keeping it open when I close my left. Other than using a patch to re-train my eyes, do you have any advice that would make learning to shoot a handgun any easier??

Place a dot over the center of your safety glasses on the left eye this will force your right eye to do the work and you will not loose depth perception. Best option is to learn how to shoot left handed.

I'm cross eye dominant and want to learn to shoot a handgun. I don't really want to learn to shoot left handed at this point. I've been canting my head and closing my non dominant eye to aim thus far, but I still seem to have a hard time aiming. I've tried to shoot with my right eye, but have a really hard time keeping it open when I close my left. Other than using a patch to re-train my eyes, do you have any advice that would make learning to shoot a handgun any easier??

Let the gun tilt. You might have to move it more to your centerline, but basically let the gun tilt on extension until the sights align with the left eye. As long as the sights are aligned it doesn't much matter how the gun is angled from the vertical as long as it's level on the target.

I also recommend you go ahead and start training with the left hand even if you want to and decide to continue shooting right-handed. The ability to switch at will or on-demand is a useful technique and tactical option in a fight.

An RDS is most useful in situations of deliberate fire or when shooting from longer than average engagement ranges. The RDS in short-range/short-notice fights is basically discarded in favor of alternative sighting methods just like the iron sights are.

I would like some advice please on how to aim while keeping both eyes open. When I try keeping both eyes open ,I see double everything. I am pretty sure I am right eye dominant. Any advice?

I see two guns as well, Barbiegun. What you want to do is make sure you know which gun is the real one and which one is not. Using myself as an example: When I extend, I see a solid gun on the outside and a 'see-through' gun on the inside. The see-through gun, oddly enough to me, is the actual pistol. I aim and shoot with that one. This is true from both right and left sides. The inside gun for me is where the pistol actually is. Once I understood that it was a matter of training to where I ignored the other one.

Carrying a unloaded weapon does no good other than, if your a real good poker player, you can bluff your way out of trouble, hopefully, that is if the other guy/gal does not have a firearm. At this point all it is, is a piece of metal! I guess you could always use your gun as a hammer, or you could throw it at them. But be ready to be charged with "Brandishing" a weapon, which is against the law. If your pistol has a decocker on it , then charge the weapon, decock it, and then holster it and leave it alone. This way your ready for whatever trouble might come your way.

Remember, First and foremost, why your carrying a cw in the first place, to "protect yourself and your loved ones" Nothing more nor less.

Think about this, if the perp is 20 to 30 feet away from you, which is a good distance away, so you think, he/she can cover that distance in about 2 - 3 second's, a lot faster than you can pull, rack/chamber a round, and then find your target/perp and shoot!!! If you carry a revolver, then its different, still you have to draw, and a quire the target, hopefully while doing it calmly and not under stress, which we all know is not going to be the case. What people/CCW's don't understand is that you have to make a life or death decision, in a matter of seconds, which will forever change your life. Just remember things are going to happen super fast and that you want to be on the winning side of the confrontation.

The bold part is nonsense. If you are legally defending yourself (even with an empty gun), then you wouldn't be charged with "brandishing." Note that some states do not even have "brandishing" as a legal term. Stop perpetuating Internet gun myths.

Your comment about a decocker is nonsense as well, as the OP (from 03-18-2011, I might add) was referring to a Glock 27.

There is no need to re-discuss empty chamber carry based on a 2011 post. This has been discussed over and over again.

My question is in order to get a licence to carry is there a test required at the class offered on handling a gun as well as shooting a gun?

My question is in order to get a licence to carry is there a test required at the class offered on handling a gun as well as shooting a gun?

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an instructor, but certainly can help. Carry permit requirements, including any classes and tests, are based on actual state law. Each state has its own carry permit laws and they differ widely between states. The answer to your question depends on the state (and sometimes even municipality) you plan to acquire a carry permit in.

In any case, a voluntary basic handgun class that teaches the cardinal rules of firearm safety, loading and unloading, weapons presentation, proper shooting techniques, malfunction clearance basics, and proper maintenance/cleaning is highly recommended. Familiarizing yourself with your state's use of deadly force and firearms laws is also highly recommended.

Further recommended is a more advanced voluntary defensive handgun class that teaches conflict avoidance, mental and situational awareness, how and when to safely draw from a holster, how and when to shoot, effective self defensive shooting, shooting at moving targets, shooting while on the move, and proper sight alignment/picture and trigger control under stress.

For a person unfamiliar with firearms, this can be initially overwhelming. However, instructors know this and structure their classes to deal with it.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back