Your Chance to ask a Firearm Instructor

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
Please post any questions you have for our Registered and Featured Instructors to this thread.

I have a question for those instructors that are also LEO.
Does your employer write the curriculum for the concealed carry permit class?
If so, do they include material that seems to vary from the state laws as you would interpret them?
I was talking to a person who had just taken a class from a LEO instructor. There discriptions of some of the emphasized instruction does not match our state law provided with our permits.

OK. I thought I might not get a response on this one. Officers may put thier jobs on the line if they go on record with facts that might embarace the chief.
How about you NRA instructors. Does the NRA give you guidelines on what to teach in regards to the states law?

Last edited:
The NRA Basic Pistol curriculum does not include local firearm laws. Instructors may provide such information as a separate presentation prior to the start or after the conclusion of the NRA course. As MA State Police Certified Instructor, I am required to provide information on licensing, transportation, storage, etc. in order to issue the required MA certificate. I do this in an approximate 1 hour presentation prior to the start of the NRA Basic Pistol course.

The NRA Personal Protection courses do include information on laws governing the use of deadly force, but that segment is to be presented by an attorney or LEO.

The NRA Basic Pistol curriculum does not include local firearm laws. Instructors may provide such information as a separate presentation prior to the start or after the conclusion of the NRA course. As MA State Police Certified Instructor, I am required to provide information on licensing, transportation, storage, etc. in order to issue the required MA certificate. I do this in an approximate 1 hour presentation prior to the start of the NRA Basic Pistol course.

The NRA Personal Protection courses do include information on laws governing the use of deadly force, but that segment is to be presented by an attorney or LEO.
Correct. NRA instructors are specifically told not to provide information on the law as part of the class. In PP classes we use an attorney to cover the laws pertaining to criminal possession of a firearm and justification of defense.

I have a question about the loading of an auto pistol.

I don't do this, I don't think it is a good idea to do this.

Is it unsafe to lock the slide back, put a round in the barrel and then let the slide come forward again? Is it unsafe to load a gun like that? My common sense tells me that it is a bad idea. I would like someone with more experience than me to weigh in on the issue however.

I use a Glock 27.

Is it unsafe to lock the slide back, put a round in the barrel and then let the slide come forward again? Is it unsafe to load a gun like that? My common sense tells me that it is a bad idea. I would like someone with more experience than me to weigh in on the issue however.

I use a Glock 27.
I'm assuming you want one in the pipe and a full mag. I teach students to load the mag, rack it and then remove the mag and put another round in. There's no fast and secure rule on this but the manual for the G27 doesn't show loading directly to the breech as a common loading technique. Releasing the slide should not cause a discharge unless there is some problem with the gun. I have however heard of situations where a discharge has occurred.

I'm assuming you want one in the pipe and a full mag. I teach students to load the mag, rack it and then remove the mag and put another round in. There's no fast and secure rule on this but the manual for the G27 doesn't show loading directly to the breech as a common loading technique. Releasing the slide should not cause a discharge unless there is some problem with the gun. I have however heard of situations where a discharge has occurred.

Yes, this is about what I expected. It doesn't seem like it would fire, but it also doesn't seem like a good idea.

Thank you for the reply!

I use a Glock 27.

Why would someone do that?

Why do some handguns leave a small "tail" on the primer where the firing pin strikes it?

Why would someone do that?

Some people do that when they want to load one in the chamber and have a full magazine. It is easier unless that process results in an AD.

Where I have seen it done extensively is on mythbusters. They usual have their gun in a vise used for precision aiming, so using a magazine would be problematic and they only want one round in the gun at a time because they work downrange of the pistol so often.

There is a reason to load through the breech, I asked if it was a good idea.

Some people do that when they want to load one in the chamber and have a full magazine. It is easier unless that process results in an AD.

Where I have seen it done extensively is on mythbusters. They usual have their gun in a vise used for precision aiming, so using a magazine would be problematic and they only want one round in the gun at a time because they work downrange of the pistol so often.

There is a reason to load through the breech, I asked if it was a good idea.

Fair enough.:biggrin:

I use a Glock 27.

Loading in this fashion could result in a chipped extractor. Always load from the magazine to prevent damage to the firearm. If you read the manual, nowhere in the manual does it tell you to load that way.

I've written Mythbusters many times on various issues. So far they continue to do as they please despite their action being unsafe or improper.

gf

In the "normal" loading cycle of a semi auto pistol the round is picked up from the magazine by the face of the slide with the rim of the case sliding under the extractor as it feeds into the barrel. This doesn't stress the extractor like putting a round in an empty chamber and then allowing the slide to close, forcing the extractor to "ride over" the case rim.
I have seen extractors damaged using this procedure to load a pistol or a magazine fed rifle.
It's always better to load from the magazine whenever possible since that's how the weapon is designed to operate.
As for an AD, that's pretty unlikely unless you already have a pre-existing problem.

I've written Mythbusters many times on various issues. So far they continue to do as they please despite their action being unsafe or improper.

gf

I have also written to Mythbusters and been ignored. It upsets them when you can tell them they are wrong and back it up with proof!

Here is my question, how meny mags should one carry in reseve when CC? Is it per the amount of rounds each mag holds?

This depends on skill really. However, I usually carry one extra, just in case. I make it a point to go to the range minimum once a month and recommend our students to do so (although I tend to go once a week).

Here is a broken extractor/loading from the top story. Front Sight Academy does some malfunction clearing drills in their classes where to set up a type 3 malfunction they instruct you to load a round from the top followed by inserting a loaded mag and than gently releasing the slide. Until I attended a four and two day Front Sight class I had never loaded from the top and during the second class, after the type 3 drill training, my extractor broke. This on a well maintained pistol that best guess has about 4000 rounds through it and has literally never had any type of malfunction. I will never really know if the broken extractor is a direct result of this drill but I would guess that it certainly contributed to it. Either way, things break so I am not going to give it much thought.

This depends on skill really. However, I usually carry one extra, just in case. I make it a point to go to the range minimum once a month and recommend our students to do so (although I tend to go once a week).

OCCI, Thank you very much for your help!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back