You own glocks... want a cookie?

I shot a Glock 23 at the range the other day. Next to my Sig 229 there was not much difference. At 7 yards my groups were about the same, one hole. What I didn’t like was the long trigger pull. I think they were mostly designed for the NDP (Non Dedicated Personnel) for safety reasons. Many folks had holes placed in their legs with Glocks. Not to say I would not own a plastic gun. Someday I will own one and not worry if it melts. Glock Heads are similar to Ford or Chevy Heads, I just don’t get it.

I'll take a cookie, and I'll share too.

Do you want a cookie for not liking Glocks?

I've literally owned and/or fired almost every brand name pistol out there, and when I consider pistols for carry (as opposed to buying for hunting or plinking) I prioritize the following items:

1) Reliability, either from personal experience or from recommendations from trusted friends.
2) Comfort and weight. Anything you decide not to carry because it pulls your pants down or has a burr on it that digs into you is a paperweight.

Then, way down the list, but still semi important:
3) Availabilty of quality holsters (I have purchased a couples of pistols I intended to carry and then couldn't find a decent holster for it. S&W PC 945 is a great pistol similar to 1911, but different enough that it doesn't sit securely in a 1911 holster. Had to get one made).
4) Availability of accessories I want. I prefer lasermax internal sites, and I almost always change springs, adjust trigger for comfort, install night sites (in case lasermax fails), etc. If a pistol is in adjustable without a major gun smithing bill I'm not interested.
5) Price. I'm not carrying a $5,000 race gun, nor will I trust my life with a $200 off brand hunk of junk.

You'll probably note that those criteria are very similar to how people pick a personal vehicle (other than holster), and just like Ford or Chevy or whatever brand people prefer, they fall into ruts from brand loyalty because "I've always carried/driven ____ and never had an issue so I stick with it." The problem is when they become "Gun Snobs" and look down on people who carry anything else. Truth is the vast majority of modern pistols made by name brand manufacturers are reliable, BUT, just like cars, there are lemons out there that don't work worth a crap, but if someone has a bad experience with one particular pistol type or car type, they always avoid it. Every single S&W semi auto (except performance center) I've ever picked up has a sloppy feeling trigger, lots of travel, and the tension during travel always feels like someone poured sand in the mechanism....to me. I still have a 4506 I plink with and after a bunch of rounds through it the trigger feels a lot smoother now, and since the trigger bugged me I had the internals cleaned up, DA pull lightened a bit and a travel stop put on the trigger. No problem. I'd probably carry it now if it had a higher capacity and lower weight.

I carried a 1911 Colt Defender from the time I first got my permit until I realized everyone in my age group at the time was carrying plastic guns. I made fun of them, they made fun of me, we all went on. My Colt was always irritating in the summer, rubbed against my waste uncomfortably because it was too hot to layer and keep concealed, and I always felt like I needed to clean or wipe it down whenever I'd sweat on it. My brother finally gave me his Glock 19 to try out on my own time, so I did. I HATED it, hated the trigger pull, hated how square and clunky it felt, hated the grip angle, and ultimately hated the idea of trusting my life with a piece of plastic instead of steel, but I holstered it on my belt line and was impressed at how comfortable it was (no burrs or protrusions digging into me) and how light it was. So I bought one (got some dirty looks at the store from the salesmen who all carried 1911s) AND I PRACTICED WITH IT. And I got used to how alien the trigger feels compared to a 1911. I still have the Defender, but of the four pistols I carry regularly, two are Glocks (an m20 and the 19 I bought 10 years ago). Wouldn't trade them for anything. The 20 I bought needed no adjustments at all, other than dropping in a lasermax (I ordered mine with factory night sites). No burrs, no rubs, etc.

Instead of hating on someone who is carrying a brand of pistol you dislike for whatever reason, you should shake their hand as a fellow gun owner/carrier and strike up a non confrontational conversation with them about their choice of weapon. Ultimately you probably have more in common with them than you think.

Incidentally, anyone who carries a Glock because they hope people will think they're a cop....has a big hill to climb with me to earn my trust. In my opinion that's a pretty poor excuse to carry.

Nothing at all... its the peer pressure to buy one because everything else is junk or will let you down attitude ... Just because I don't care for them doesn't make em a bad gun ...

Well then this becomes an argument about the negative effects of peer pressure rather than a argument about Glocks. I could easily say the same thing about my friends who own 1911's and constantly want me to buy one too. It just comes down to people liking their guns and wanting other people to get them as well, and if it bothers you, then dont talk to them.

I chose a Glock because of the reliability, simple design, good feel in my hands with a nice textured grip, large double stacked magazines, availability of accessories and holsters, and the safe-action design. I also like that I could carry my full size .40, and if I wanted to, I could put that 15 round .40 mag into the subcompact .40 cal Glock. I like the interchangeable mags.
If you dont like Glock, then carry something else you do like, doesnt bother me.

As many of you may have seen my recent thread I just bought my first glock g21 and I love it. I also own other guns I'm a 1911 guy but why even start this thread. That tells me you're either mad because you had a bad experience which I find hard to believe or you're just fishing for some attention because you have some other issue.

Where did I read this: A pretty Kimber is something you show your friends, a Glock is what you show your enemy. ...Can I have a cookie now?

Originally this post was intended so that maybe some of the "salesmen" would read and realize we've all heard the perfection sales pitch they could do us both a favor and keep it to themselves .... yes this could be about a 1911 or anything else... in my area its glocks... and still even this thread people feel the need for round about sales pitches and that's my point!!!... I never said anything bad about their guns.... its pushy people who promote them like nothing else will protect you... while singing a song that never ends......

Just my opinion, not to many of us have had to shoot when our safety is on the line,so use what you like a learn to use it.

Where did I read this: A pretty Kimber is something you show your friends, a Glock is what you show your enemy. ...Can I have a cookie now?
Good one!! I agree there are folks who live their lives through the internet, looking for acceptance in their choices..Pretty sad.. Someone said they actually bought a glock because they wanted to like it? That's messed up as well..
I would love to have too much money.. Like I said earlier, I am trying to make my glock fail, so far it's not playin ball.. Buy what works for you, not because it is pretty..

I look at this sort of like baseball. It's not the NY Yankees that bother but their fans can get a little annoying. Anybody can decide what team to cheer for just as we all could have decided to buy a Glock. I juust happened to settle on something different.

Cookies!! Nom nom nom. Well anyway. Now that the Cookie Monster has left. Love the blue guy (he carrys a Glock too :D). I understand the whole sales pitch thing (being a former car salesman), and I understand how tiring that can be. I am also a Glock owner. I first got my Glock 17 and later expanded into the 19 and 26 models. I do like how I can use the larger grip magazine in the smaller grip guns. I really liked the 17 when I got it, but I find that I carry the 19 more often. The grip feels better, if my 17 were an older one without the finger grooves, I might not notice. I will also CC the 26, but my spare mag is always from a 17. i just like warring that way. I also have a 1911 and I love shooting it. My SP101 is a great revolver. If I leave home I'm away armed. If for some reason I cannot carry one of my Glocks because of my dress then I'll carry what I can. Most likely a Kel Tec. Another plastic gun some people love to hate, and get salepitched to others. :D They (all of my firearms) work for me, carry what works for you. :)

ooooooo... cookies

I carry a Glock, but am no salesman. Like many have said before, get a gun that works for you and use it. The only time I come close to being a salesman is when somebody mindlessly attacks the Glock. (Note: Not all attacks are mindless. I refer only to those who attack what they do not know, those who have not done their homework, those who say "I don't like it, therefore you shouldn't like it either" et cetera)

We've all seen those with a baseless hatred of a product. We've all seen those with a quasi-religious devotion to a product. I don't consider Gaston Glock a prophet (nor John Moses Browning for that matter), but I've seen some who just might think that (on either count). I just have a problem with those who discount my well-researched and tested choice of personal firearm simply because they disagree with it.

I don't like Glocks. They are ugly. The trigger is horrible. The balance it not good. They do not feel as good in my hand as a CZ-75B. They are not as reliable as a revolver when it comes to crappy ammunition. They do not have a safety to keep the thing from going off when it is in my pocket.

I carry a Glock. Why? They are well made, accurate in my hands, and the only thing that I have to do is draw and pull the trigger. A good holster can be found for one anywhere. There are almost no repairs that cannot be done by the shooter (with minimal skill). They carry lots of ammo for their size.

There is no such thing as a perfect gun. There are perfect idiots who think that there is such a thing, but I dismiss them. I am the weapon. The pistol is just a tool that I use. The glock is simply a tool, and a good tool. If I want to show a gun off, I have a highly polished CZ for that. If I want to carry a gun in my pocket, I have a Beretta .380 and several Smith & Wesson revolvers for that. If I am carrying in other conditions than the above (90% of the time), I am carrying a Glock. What are you carrying? I could not care less. Sit on your cookie and rotate.

Well hell, if salesmen are bugging you. try this out:

Every time I walk into Best Buy I get assaulted by Direct TV salesmen. I have 0 interest in satellite, had it before and didn't care for it, which I used to tell them every time. Sometimes they'd stop, but most of the time they'd start asking more questions and then I'd have to be rude and walk away or tell them again I'm not interested and keep walking. I made a discovery when I got assaulted and the item I was looking for a the store was still within earshot of the salesman. Another gentleman walked by and he got the pitch from the salesman, but he put his hands up and told the guy he was a Direct TV subscriber.

Salesman stopped and thanked him, and went on his way.

Guess what? Every time I walk into Best Buy they don't get two words out before I say I'm a subscriber and they thank me and move on.

Yeah it's BS, but it saves me and them both time.

If all I was going to shoot was DA I wouldn't have any auto at all. I'd carry my Colt Python and a pocket of speed loaders and be done with it. If Glock made a DA/SA, I might actually like the thing even if it is butt ugly. I guess I'll never know.

Jeff S:237221 said:
It can go both ways also. I don't push Glocks on anyone. I also don't like being stereotyped in the "all Glock owners" category either. I wish people would stop making such broad statements. I also don't like when someone feels the need to tell why they don't have a Glock and how much they despise them. I don't really care why someone buys one thing over another. I am happy with my purchase. We shoot what we shoot... let's move on.
Thats telling em! !

fourmula766:237117 said:
I don't bash them I just don't like them ... I've shot them they aren't for me its that simple... why does it seem every glock owner I know acts like a car salesman or is it because they need to constantly justify their purchase? Again this isn't a bash some are quality and work well for some ... go ahead sing their praise just please stop trying to sell me on one.. and worry about who has tighter groupings....

Really don't care what you carry or what your "groups" look like...shoot what you want!

I don't like Glocks. They are ugly. The trigger is horrible. The balance it not good. They do not feel as good in my hand as a CZ-75B. They are not as reliable as a revolver when it comes to crappy ammunition. They do not have a safety to keep the thing from going off when it is in my pocket.

I carry a Glock. Why? They are well made, accurate in my hands, and the only thing that I have to do is draw and pull the trigger. A good holster can be found for one anywhere. There are almost no repairs that cannot be done by the shooter (with minimal skill). They carry lots of ammo for their size.

There is no such thing as a perfect gun. There are perfect idiots who think that there is such a thing, but I dismiss them. I am the weapon. The pistol is just a tool that I use. The glock is simply a tool, and a good tool. If I want to show a gun off, I have a highly polished CZ for that. If I want to carry a gun in my pocket, I have a Beretta .380 and several Smith & Wesson revolvers for that. If I am carrying in other conditions than the above (90% of the time), I am carrying a Glock. What are you carrying? I could not care less. Sit on your cookie and rotate.

Be careful tho when rotating with the Glock in your pocket, they are known for "going off" whenever they feel they want! Seriously tho, because of the trigger safety, I'm told, a Glock or similar gun is less likely to be negligently discharged in a pocket or elsewhere than a revolver. Would that be a fair statement?

Be careful tho when rotating with the Glock in your pocket, they are known for "going off" whenever they feel they want! Seriously tho, because of the trigger safety, I'm told, a Glock or similar gun is less likely to be negligently discharged in a pocket or elsewhere than a revolver. Would that be a fair statement?

Negative! A holster is critical when carrying ANY handgun. Protecting the trigger is a basic safety practice that should never be compromised. There are numerous manufacturers that make a variety of holsters for various applications. When carrying ANY handgun, USE A HOLSTER!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back