You Know You Might Be A Gun Nerd

stngray713

So the other day I was watching the movie the American. It got to a point where the guy was going to build a rifle for some lady, she specified it must be 5.56mm. So the guy goes home and start building the rifle. He brings out the upper receiver and barrel and I'm thinking man that looks like a Ruger to me. I have no idea why it jumped out as Ruger but that was my first thought. Then he pulls out the foregrip and I'm like yup mini 14. He puts it all together and sure enough it's a mini 14. when he delivers it to the lady and he calls it an M14. I'm screaming NOOO not M 14 mini 14 dummy.

Everyone else I know thinks I'm odd for doing it and I do it in every movie I see I like to point out which kind of gun they have. Most times the gun hunt is more fun than the movie itself. But you know you might be a gun nerd when you Identify the weapon in the movie while it is being assembled and you are mad when it is called by the wrong name.

Sorry to ramble I just got a chuckle out of it. I would love to hear any other times you realized you may be a gun nerd

In the movie SWAT, the police LT claimed the bad guys used AK47's in the bus scene; when in actuality they had a Tec-9 and a suppressed pistol.

I think my favorite was always the revolver with a "silencer", as seen in so many old secret agent movies. How's that working for you double O? Then and now, a lot of people in the entertainment business don't know much about firearms. And books are even worse!

I can't give any specifics off the top of my head but I too pick movies apart. What Hollywood does even worse than the mis-identification of firearms is the injustice they do to the Military of these United States!

I always liked the opening of Louis L'Amour's How the West Was Won his hero, Linus Rawlings, fires three shots in under 10 seconds with a muzzle loader

I watch movies for entertainment and don't "pick" then apart but do notice some errors.

Just saw The Avengers this past weekend and realized Nick Furry was holding an M&P. Not enough of a gun nerd to know what caliber it was though.

LOL My wife gives me hell when I poin tit out and tell me " you know they can not hear you right!" but I do it anyway.

Read a book once about a guy using a .22 mm rifle. And another where someone had a 22 mm handgun with 100 rounds in the magazine.

I watch movies for entertainment and don't "pick" then apart but do notice some errors.

Just saw The Avengers this past weekend and realized Nick Furry was holding an M&P. Not enough of a gun nerd to know what caliber it was though.

I saw that too...I'd like to think it was the M&P shield (don't know which caliber either)...as that's what members of SHIELD would use right?

I'm not as well-versed as you to pick out the make and model of every firearm in the movies, but I do like picking apart LE's and what they do wrong in the movies. Someone posted the same about military. It's amazing how often you see LE, special agents, etc. completely violating the 4 rules of gun safety in just about every movie, TV show, etc.

... this part is added later because I just remembered something I saw on TV last night....

Two guys were in an SUV on Burn Notice (season opener last night). The driver has the passenger at gun point. The driver receives a phone call and has some bad news which makes him shoot 3 or 4 rounds through the back window in anger with the muzzle right next to the passenger's head. Both of these people would be temporarily deaf (I believe the firearm was a 1911 type .45 cal) from having a large caliber handgun go off several times inside a vehicle and that close to their heads, but they continued to have a conversation after that without any increase in volume of their voices.

Shoot, I remember once at the range forgetting to put my headphones back on my ears when I fired the first shot from a .40. Ears were ringing badly. I can't imagine being inside a vehicle and having the gun go off beside my head. :crazy_pilot:

Or the constant racking the slide in movies. You only chamber a round once and then it takes care of itself when you shoot. Well....., unless it's a hi-point or geminez or............ And then they ride the slide like crazy when chamber in a round almost like they have to put the round in the chamber like a pump shotgun. And let's not even get started on their technique.

However I was impressed to watch the star of "Justified" clear his weapon and catch the round out of the chamber in mid- air.

There are / were silenced / suppresses revolvers; Dan Wesson, by virtue of the adjustable cylinder-to-breech gap could be suppressed.

SWMBO has standing orders for me to SHUT UP during the movie. I can talk later but not during. Then she took my notepad away.

My husband is the same way. Any gun, any time, any movie, and I hear a stream of, "Oh that's a 19-something so-and-so model kajigger 9 by something-teen A and B over and under blah blah gauge with such and such rifling and a three-quarter twist."

I just stare and blink.

My eyes always drift to the firearms in every movie scene. What I see is fingers on the triggers or using the gun as a pointer. Another one that pops to mind is an old Chuck Norris movie - one of the 'Missing in Action" flicks - where the POW guard is torturing a prisoner. He racks the slide on a semi-auto pistol, points it at the prisoner and pulls the trigger. Click. Naturally, the prisoner freaks out... the the guard rack the slide again, NOTHING ejects, and he points it at the prisoner. Click.

Another good scene is in "Independence Day" when the British are all looking at their map. Another is in the movie "Red" when Karl Urban tells a fellow CIA employee to lock down their building... while he's pointing his pistol, finger on the trigger, at the man's chest, from about two feet away, ALL WHILE UNDER EXTREME DURESS. I love Hollywood. I just wouldn't want my name in the credits as a consultant when scenes like these hit the big screen.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back