You just bought a Ruger LCP. Now what ammo?

ONLYPILL

If you recently purchased an Ruger LCP, good choice!

But now you must wade through the ammo choice quagmire!

You will read many reviews claiming that 380 JHP ammo underpenetrates, and it does.

What they don't tell you is the reason that police and civilians shoot JHP's!

Becuase FMJ (Hardball) overpenetrates as a rule.

So for your LCP, use FMJ (hardball).

And you won't need +p ammo.

Best penetration you will get, and you'll save a lot of money on ammo.

And that means that you can afford to do more shooting, and you will become very competent with your pistol.

Remember, it's that rounds that hit, not the rounds you fire, that will probably determine whether or not you will be coming home tonight.

Be safe out there!

For me, 90gr gold dots. I was told by an individual that he tried several .380 ammo choices and after several boxes of this and that he found that the gold dots were the only ones, for him, that ran without a hiccup. I purchased an LCP and two boxes of the gold dots. Ran a handfull, cleaned & lubed, ran some more, repeat... After several boxes now with no problems, well, I'm gunna stay with the gold dots. Even if penetration may be an issue as compared to FMJ or such, at least I'll get some hits (if I do my part when needed) by using reliable medicine. Having said all that, the LCP is a back up to a glock in .40

Say, Onlypill, what maker of the FMJ do you run through your LCP, do you trust them? Pray tell.

I'm thinking you should go with Hornady Critical Defense. It's got a plastic insert in teh hollow point to ensure proper expansion whether it hits a target several layers of clothing on a burglar, or think fur and dirt on a ferral dog.

Winchester 95grain FMJ .380 is my preference.

I have never had a problem with them!

And you are correct when you say get some hits in.

Remember, always put 2 into center of chest fast, and then hit the face.

You'll never have a problem with that tactic!

Stay safe out there.

I was told Cleveland, Ohio Police did a Ammo test with LCPs and liked Winchester Ranger the best

380 Automatic 95 gr. Ranger T-Series is a great round, and if you can get someone else to pay for them, it's a great choice.

Unfortunately, there is always the problem of shooting enough rounds to make the weapon a part of your hand.

That's the part that few ever do.

The LCP is a great little pistol, and will shoot many rounds as long as you stay away from +p's.

Women graviate to the LCP like ducks to water. They like to shoot them. And that's most of the battle for a newbie. Getting over their fear of the weapon.

I just purchased my LCP about 2 months ago and use 90 Gr Federal Hydra-Shok JHP for carry ammo. Nice gun and super easy to conceal. My wife and I do quite a bit of walking around the neighborhood and it is perfect for that. I used to have to carry my M&P9c with my shirt untucked now I just throw the LCP in my shorts pocket.

Hornady Critical Defense is what I use in mine. You should carry what feeds reliably in your gun.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back