You have one shot to save your life at 100yds

My Government 45-70 only because like the others I do not have a 308.

.308 and 7.62x39 at 100 yrds?

well.

both will do the job.
Both are awsome rounds at 100yrds.
They can take a target out easy at 100yrds.
both will not create an arc or a significant bullet drop at 100yrds.

so, my question is why are you asking?

Also, are you going to have different wind directions between 0 to 100yrd?
are you going thru brush? or are you going to try to fire thru a barracade?
or are you going to shoot multiple targets? or just one?

it depends. :) but if I had to shoot at 100 yrds to save my life against multiple targets I would probably use a semi-auto. 308 and then a 7.62

Guess it would depend on the size of the target. If man size it wouldn't matter, but if it's a beer can I'll go with the 308

Lemme see now.....if I only had one shot and had to choose between a .308 or a 7.62x39.....hmmmm.....

Got it! I'd take 10 shots with a .338 Lapua! That's also equipped with a grenade launcher. And SEAL Team 6 backing me up. And I'm inside a bunker. Yup, that's it. That would be my choice based on the original question.

100 yds? Depends on the situation. If I'm in a defensive role rather than attempting an offensive play, I'd employ the tactical duck-n-weave as I beat-feet away. Or I'd belly crawl if need be. Yeah, I know, but at least I'd more likely to live and fight another day.

If offensive, the .308 due to most rifles using that caliber would be more accurate than most that use the 7.62 x 39. (notice the word "most").

If offensive, the .308 due to most rifles using that caliber would be more accurate than most that use the 7.62 x 39. (notice the word "most").

Just out of curiosity, Tuts, what x39 platform do you think would be as accurate as a .308 rifle? I've shot many an AK and, while they'd probably do the job at 100 yds, they still can't hold a candle to any .308 rifle I've shot. On the other hand I have no experience with the more modern hunting/sporting x39 rifles being produced by CZ, Saiga/Arsenal, or even Ruger (the Mini-30).

Now that I think of it, my NHM-91 with it's 21" barrel has an accuracy that rivals a .308, at least at ranges out to a couple of hundred yards. In the end the .308 is still considerably more powerful and therefore gives the shooter more margin for error when trying to take down a target.

Human or animal?
I would use either.

My SKS in 7.62x39 is amazingly accurate. To the point of being scary.

Now the .308 and 7.62 have so close ballistics (yes they are truly close almost identical) that it really doesn't matter.

To whoever said which one is bigger 7.62 or 7.62 oh damn they are the same. Only difference is the case length. 51 vs 39 mm.
But dont forget you compress the load in a 7.62x39 (usually)

Btw please note I am talking about energy and not velocity. The 308 is much faster. But still about the same energy.

Btw please note I am talking about energy and not velocity. The 308 is much faster. But still about the same energy.

A typical .308 round is about 20-25 grains heavier than it's x39 counterpart (FMJ vs FMJ, SP vs SP, etc.). Factor in the added velocity and it hits with quite a bit more energy. Around 20% more. When hitting the same spot the larger, faster slug will do more damage (specialized ammo excepted). I wouldn't want to get hit by either, but the .308 even less.

I would have put the .308 down sometime under 300 yards and started using the x39 for quicker shots then when that is out there is always the 2 thigh guns and then the 2 waist cross draw hand guns and then the 2 chest cross draws with the 16 mags hanging all over. I'll use the shot gun next time...

But seriously, the 7.62x39 is fine at 100yrds

As a part-time Trekkie I would have to go with a Type III Phaser Rifle. As a full-time 21st Century guy who doesn't own a rifle yet nor do I have any knowledge specific to rifles as regards to velocity, calibers, etc, I would have to just copy those that seem to know it all and go with a .308 rifle. But, if I miss with my one shot, since I may not be a great shot with a rifle having not fired one since an M16 back in 1988, do I have tactical permission to make an extremely fast tactical retreat?

Rick

100 yards? 100 YARDS? Hell, I'm not braggin'..... BUT (Well... yes I am!) I'd go with either and toss in 5.56 for practice..... AND offer to do the task "offhand".

If I can put 8 of ten (or better) in a 12" bull at 200 yards offhand, as I did for years, 100 yards is "Micky Mouse".

"Macho, macho man....
I wanna be a macho man!" (LOL!)

Once a Marine..... ALWAYS a Marine!

GG

P.S. Accomplishment of the mission is number one pri. .800 isn't a bad batting average either. LOL!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back