You can never be too SAFE!

Man

That is ugly!
I am typically pretty safety-minded with my firearms,at least I think so.I think I will newly endeavor to make sure I always take the necessary safety precautions.I'm gonna throw up,but thanks for sharing that with us.Sometimes we need to see bad stuff so we can avoid it.
:(

This is the reason every time again every time I pick up a firearm I either rack the slide or flip the cylinder open (or work the bolt, etc). I doesn't matter if I laid it down 30 seconds ago, I still verify that it is an empty gun. This obviously doesn't apply at the firing range :D

Holy Mackrel

I bet that smarts. I'm always safety aware and after seeing this, I'll be even more so. Thanks for sharing, a good reminder on safety for all of us.

OUCH! That's hard, Man! I hope the subject is well and heals OK. He sounds like us...a guy who's familiar and comfortable around firearms and who never thought it would happen to him. Serves to point out that, no matter how careful or familiar or comfortable we are, none of us are immune from accidents. Be safe, and use your basic safety practices...ALL the time - EVERY time.

And good luck to this guy. Please thank him for sharing a most unpleasant circumstance.

But by the grace of God, that could be any one of us. I am so glad that guy from "back East" manned up and shared that with us. A little of that goes a long way. Dr. David M mentions that he always pulls the slide back to check. One of the features that helped me to decide on purchasing the North American Arms 380 was the fact that the top of the slide has a short slit milled in it; you can see the brass in the pipe without having to pull the slide back. This was very important to me as I was raised with wheel guns and only had revolvers in the house until my sons grew up. (It was much easier to teach them how to open a revovler, empty its contents and know for sure it was empty than using a gun with a slide.) As for a pistol, I use the same philosophy an electrician friend of mine uses when working on electricity jobs. He leaves them hot because he then knows for damn sure they are hot. The worst that can happen in his eyes is that someone turns the cirucuit off, not on. Rule numba 1: All Guns Are ALWAYS Loaded. ALWAYS. This post, all by itself just made this Forum way, way valuable to me! Thanks so much to all of you that share. I am in your debt.

As for a pistol, I use the same philosophy an electrician friend of mine uses when working on electricity jobs. He leaves them hot because he then knows for damn sure they are hot. The worst that can happen in his eyes is that someone turns the cirucuit off, not on. Rule numba 1: All Guns Are ALWAYS Loaded. ALWAYS.

10-4 and-a-half!! I was hesitant to admit to this fearing I'd be though a dipshit, but the truth is that I have always been around guns (having been brought up on a farm) and they've always been loaded. There's never been any question about it and it solves, absolutely, the question of whether this or that firearm is loaded or not. It Is!

The only exception are those firearms which are stored. They are always stored empty.

I have a philosophy: No one is ever shot -accidentally- with a loaded gun. It's always with guns that someone thinks to be Unloaded. KEEP 'EM STOKED, AND MAKE SURE EVERYONE KNOWS IT!

the old saying one picture is worth a thousand words is appropriate here. the guys desription one by one is very sobering. it is easy to get into the run of the mill in doing things. stay alert and keep on top of your game. stay safe everyone!!

Good reminder on safety, you can never be to safe. we all need a reminder every now and again.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back