Yellowstone Camping

king richard

Looks like the hikers and campers need bear guns! What can you carry in Yelloestone?

I have seen lots of threads on bear guns and they all basically come down to the biggest you are willing to carry. Anything is better than nothing, but when it comes to grizzlies, they are all saying bare minimum 357 mag, .44 mags or larger preferred. There are quite a few advocates of 10mm if one is inclined to carry an auto.

All that is required to escape a bear attack is a .22. You don't have to stop the bear, you only have to slow down the nearest other camper/hiker...

The problem with BIG bears is they are very tough. A 357 will work on a black bear but it is marginal at best on a grizzly and will NOT stop a charge unless you get a brain shot. The bigger the better, 44mag is better but still wont stop a charge, a 50 caliber Smith is even better. I know a person in Alaska who carries a (legal) shortened 12 gauge with slugs. The recoil is fierce, but not as bad as having a grizzly bears teeth around your head which could ruin your whole day. On the other hand my wife is mad at me right now. Id rather take on the bear, my odds are better.

Here's my $.02

All things being equal (like accuracy under pressure), any handgun is going to be minimally effective against bison, bear.

Preventative measures are going to be your primary defense against that much angry meat. Maintain awareness, and always make noise. We don't need noisemakers, we hike with our children.

With that said, my .45/JHP for all other possible eventualities.

Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the Yellowstone Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the out-of-doors to carry “Pepper Spray” with him is case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces. Black bear feces are smaller and contain lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear **** has bells in it and smells like pepper.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back