WRAL Concealed Handgun Permit database.

Bitbight

Heads up North Carolina,

WRAL TV station in it's infinite wisdom has posted a searchable database of CHP holders within this state. There are no names or house numbers identified but the Zip Code, County, City, Street, and dates of issue/expiration are open for anyone to look at. I am easily able to identify myself on that database. Those that live on small streets or cul-de-sac with only a few homes, would definitely be a target for anyone to break in. GRNC (Grass Roots North Carolina) has notified WRAL to cease and desist with the database by this 13 July or it would inform it's members to start a boycott of WRAL sponsors products. As of today that database is still active on WRAL's Website.

Be safe and a little more vigilant of strangers in your neighborhood who might be scoping out potential targets for easy pickings.

BB

WRAL database of North Carolina CHP holders.

Heads up North Carolina,

WRAL TV station in it's infinite wisdom has posted a searchable database of CHP holders within this state. There are no names or house numbers identified but the Zip Code, County, City, Street, and dates of issue/expiration are open for anyone to look at. I am easily able to identify myself on that database. Those that live on small streets or cul-de-sac with only a few homes, would definitely be a target for anyone to break in. GRNC (Grass Roots North Carolina) has notified WRAL to cease and desist with the database by this 13 July or it would inform it's members to start a boycott of WRAL sponsors products. As of today that database is still active on WRAL's Website.

BB

Heads up North Carolina,

Be safe and a little more vigilant of strangers in your neighborhood who might be scoping out potential targets for easy pickings.

BB

Why would a criminal target a ccw holder home? They could just go to the hunting permit database if they were after guns. I can see criminals picking a house and then making sure that house wasn't on the ccw list and then robbing it. So in reality, u should be thanking wral, not boycotting them.

This database/search is not finding my info. I tried with several different variations of my info and nothing.

In DesMoines there is a weekly paper that posts the names of the people that have just recieved thier concealed carry permits in polk county. I don't feel it is right but they do it.

i don't think florida lists our names or addresses ......our addresses aren't even on our permits here just our name and age and mug shot and permit license number

"Otis-M: Why would a criminal target a ccw holder home?"

Like most CHP holders, I have more than one weapon in my home so that would make me a target of opportunity. They now know there may be weapons around in this location instead of randomly finding something on a break-in, big incentive for some people. I am not afraid of someone trying to break in when I am here, that would be their stupidity. A smart crook is going to wait till I am not around before he tries to enter my home. There are some deterrents awaiting them if they try. There are also my neighbors homes who may now be vulnerable because of this information release. I have given them a heads up so at least they are aware and that will help.

Hunting weapons usually involve long barrels, handguns are what is most valuable to crooks. Either way they would make out like the proverbial bandit and you would be left with the loss and paperwork of stolen weapons.

That's why this type of information should not be randomly displayed. I understand public access should be available for those that want it, but not a red flag waved to scare and alarm people.

BB

This was in the news report which explains why I didn't see my info. Still does not make it right to post.

"This database contains permits for the WRAL viewing area"

Anything out of the Raleigh Durham area will be liberal trash. Of course that goes for most of the large cities in NC.

FYI...

WRAL in Raleigh NC has decided to publish a searchable list of concealed handgun permit holders (they did exclude names but left enough other identifying characteristics to be able to identify individuals). they were asked to remove street data and have refused. Please go to

https://www.change.org/petitions/wr...-rape-victims-and-others-with-handgun-permits

And sign for all permit holders that we don't want this behavior to stand.

Every time someone signs, WRAL, CBS and 2 senators get emails urging them to correct this.

Indiana newspapers, notably an Indianapolis and a Bloomington newspaper, tried this happy horseshot. It spurred the General Assembly to remove those items of data from the rubric of public information and banned their publication.

This happened in NY also. The state list was published by a guy in PA. It showed names and addresses.

My question is how does WRAL have access to the Sheriff Dept records?

GG

Pretty obvious to me that they feel posting the information is an intimidation factor NOT to carry (if they were only interested in licensing of individuals by government agencies, for example, they'd have a database of everyone holding a drivers license). But most of the CCW folks I know are not so easily intimidated, myself included, to be dissuaded by simply publishing a database. What a crook can or might do with such information is a concern, and I can only say if it were the source of information leading to harm that was link-able to their database, they should be made to pay heavily, either monetarily, criminally, or both for their contribution. Same goes for those businesses that post prohibiting CCW on their premises, they at that point take total responsibility for the safety of their customers, and should be held criminally liable for any harm done to them by their decision.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back