Word of warning!

Couzin

Maybe others will benefit from my stupidity. I purchased a "new" S&W 360PD from a large dealer at the last Fort Worth gun show. Got it home, and put it aside for a couple weeks while waiting on a set of Crimson Trace grips. Grips came and while getting ready to install them I noticed the front of the cylinder was eroded (flamecut) and there is some other wear that, in my opinion, could only have come from the pistol being fired, and probably not with the recommended ammunition multiple times. I contacted the seller/dealer seeking an exchange, seller says the handgun came from a 'distributor, that the damage is S&W's problem, and they do not 'warranty' handguns. Contacted S&W and they replied that they will "repair" the handgun. I believed that I should be provided a new-in-the-box S&W 360PD - apparently, I am wrong. I did not pay for a used 360PD. Unfortunately, it falls on me to have not closely examined the handgun before I handed over my coin. So - buyer beware!! Check those purchases over very carefully and read the fine print!!

I have not provided the dealer's name because that is not the reason for the post - just a warning to check those purchases a little better. Certainly I will avoid this particular dealer in the future, but some here may have had excellent dealings with them, therefore it is best if we don't get into it over the ethics of the dealer (it could be an honest mistake and they had nothing to do the handgun being fired).

So the dealer purchased the firearm from a wholesaler or did some one do a trade with them and say it was new?. New in the box means that no one but you and the dealer have ever owned it. Like new and in the box means that it was sold, may be shot maybe not. Was the warranty in the box?. Smith and Wesson or any other manufacture will not replace your firearm. But they should repair it to like new condition. They do test fire there firearms some more then one shot. Before I would get to upset I would talk to Smith & Wesson. They may not have a lifetime warranty but they do try to stand behind there product. You could even ask them to see if the serial number has been sent to them on a warranty card before.

I contacted S&W service, the handgun was made Oct 2008, it was new. However, it has some missing finish as well as the noticeable flamecutting. None of this was from testfiring at the factory. Sure, S&W says they will warranty it and replace 'worn' parts - but I think I deserve what I paid for - new, no visible wear, handgun. It ain't gonna happen according to the dealer (apparently because I may have caused the damage according to them and I am just wanting to cheat them), and S&W will just 'repair' it. If it was damaged before I put my hands on it, why shouldn't I get a brand new one? Like I said - my fault for not looking at it closer.

I contacted S&W service, the handgun was made Oct 2008, it was new. However, it has some missing finish as well as the noticeable flamecutting. None of this was from testfiring at the factory. Sure, S&W says they will warranty it and replace 'worn' parts - but I think I deserve what I paid for - new, no visible wear, handgun. It ain't gonna happen according to the dealer (apparently because I may have caused the damage according to them and I am just wanting to cheat them), and S&W will just 'repair' it. If it was damaged before I put my hands on it, why shouldn't I get a brand new one? Like I said - my fault for not looking at it closer.
JMO, buying something with a large price tag justifies a thorough inspection. Gun, car, house, etc. No one can fault you for examining something like that closely, especially before forking over $600+ for one of those revolvers.

Last edited:
In 1993 same thing happened to me. Dealer in Daytona Beach FL sold me a S&W 6906 9mm.
When I got home I cleaned the pistol and noticed that the barrel had some deep gouges inside. Took
it back same day as picked up and was told "have to ship it back to S&W for repair. Didn't seem right
but it was the first pistol I had ever purchased at a dealer. S&W replaced the barrel but I had to
wait a couple of weeks for my Christmas present to myself! Was another lesson learned in life.

I won't buy a gun unless I can field strip it on the counter for a complete inspection. Interestingly, the dealers I've dealt with would allow me to field strip the more expensive guns. I was not allowed to take down a Kel-Tec or Bersa Firestorm for close inspection. The reasoning was that they didn't want to chance scratching or damaging parts. No one had a problem with me closely inspecting the Glock, XD, Beretta and Kimber.

I've found, the finish on the Bersa is easy to scratch up when field stripping it. That's likely why the dealers didn't want you to strip that pistol. I can't really say about Kel-Tec.

If the top strap was cut it was not new!!!!it takes hot rounds and many to cut the strap. And with revolvers that is normal wear on a used gun, Not a new one.

The dealer sold you a used gun as new no matter what he says. He may not have know it was used but still he was at fault, not S&W. I agree you should receive a NIB replacement for it but not from S&W but from the dealer.

The dealer sold you a used gun as new no matter what he says. He may not have know it was used but still he was at fault, not S&W. I agree you should receive a NIB replacement for it but not from S&W but from the dealer.

What he said plus. I would contact S&W and state that the gun you bought from that dealer was said to be new. I don't think S&W will like to hear that a dealer is selling used guns as new and then telling the customer that that's S&W's problem.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back