wolf ammunition

Scarecrow

because the ammo prices are soaring, I'm trying to find the best priced practice ammo that is not just crap. with wolf I always hear different things. some say it is just fine just a little dirty (but then again we should be cleaning our guns regularly anyway) and some say don't use it because it could harm your gun. it's all I've used in my AK-47, of course AK's eat anything. I've read that the new polymer coating on the wolf casings make it so it should function well in any gun. does anyone have any experience with it? any advice either way? to use or not to use? will it really harm the extractor? thanks for any advice.

I have a lot for my SKS and some for my CZ82. I have never had a problem with it. I have heard that the coating they put on the regular stuff can heat up and gum up the action of your firearm. I have no experience with this happening, but I have never fired hundreds of rounds in a row. Good luck. Reload.

I have no personal experence with it however there is a range here in Fort Worth that will not let anyone use it and they advise against its use in hand guns when teaching there CHL classes.

The steel cases are very hard on handgun extractors. The rifles can handle it. Be sure to watch for the steel core bullets. Hold a magnet to the projectile. Those can start fires.

Yea Scarecrow--I understand where you're at. I have wolf for my AK but the AK can handle it.
I've heard to many wierd things about wolf ammo and I don't know what's true and what's not true.
I just avoid the stuff--I see no reason to take the chance of screwing up a gun just to save a couple bucks on ammo. I usually get UMC,American Eagle or WWB and shoot em and then just keep reloading them

Yea Scarecrow--I understand where you're at. I have wolf for my AK but the AK can handle it.
I've heard to many wierd things about wolf ammo and I don't know what's true and what's not true.
I just avoid the stuff--I see no reason to take the chance of screwing up a gun just to save a couple bucks on ammo. I usually get UMC,American Eagle or WWB and shoot em and then just keep reloading them

yeah wish I could reload. don't have the equipment or space for it here. and don't know anyone personally who does it around me... maybe it's time to make some new friends.

The "lacquer" finish on the WOLF from what I am told/heard, gums up the slide in your weapon. I myself have only shot 200 rounds through my JHP .45ACP and have not had a problem. The manufacture of my .45 actually says NOT to use WOLF ammo because of this.
Hi Point JHP .45ACP
This I did not know at the time. Now I do not use the WOLF at all.

Scarecrow
I just started reloading about 2 1/2 years ago. I didn't have room either but I got a little creative and rigged up a neat little reloading set up in a room I use for storage. I don't have to buy target ammo anymore. Even though reloading components have gone up in price --I still save a lot by rolling my own.
The way I learned was by taking a free reloading class at Sportsmans Warehouse. It wasn't real thorough but it showed me how to use all the reloading equipement and how to make dummy rounds. After that I got some reloading books and just started doing it. Sometimes I almost have as much fun reloading as I do shooting.
It would be worth looking into

Wolf works fine in my Russian SKS. But I don't use it anymore in my AR-15. The first time I did, I had jams all over the place, and after about 80 rnds, there was about a half a teaspoon of crap in the reciever that looked like crisco. Wolf is cheap, but you know the old saying, you get what you pay for.

If you are reloading just a couple calibers then you don't need much room. I've known people that used a spare closet to reload in. Like you said, try to find someone that reloads and give it a try...

I am not trying to push you into something you don't want to do, but there is really not much to reloading. I started a thread about the basic steps of reloading if you haven't read it.

Link Removed

Also my wife and I got my dad a reloading for Christmas. It was a little over $100. He attached his press and powder measurer to a 2x6 he then clamps that to some sort of bench. It's FUN.

thanks everyone for your replies. reloading would be cool to get into.

no one said anything however about the new polymer coated wolf ammo. should I take that to mean that wolf is just crap no matter what it's coated in?

Wolf is good ammunition if you're simply chucking lead down range. I work at an indoor range where we use Wolf .45 ACP in our rental Glock 21 pistols. We retire the guns after around 10k rounds. At around the 9k round point, the slide slide begins to show excessive wear around the hole where the striker comes through. Between the 9.5k and 10k round point, the slide either cracks or gets too rounded out to be considered "safe". I've replaced chipped extractors on a few guns at around the 5K round point. The extractor is a fairly inexpensive part and only takes me a few minutes to replace.

We have a couple of other models chambered in .45 ACP that show the same wear. A Sig GSR was recently retired after 1,100 rounds due to a cracked slide.

If you're going to be shooting an extremely high amount of rounds in a very short time, then I would recommend staying away from Wolf ammunition. We use it for our rental guns due to the low cost. The money we save on ammo justifies replacing the rental guns after shooting 9k to 10k rounds. Most of the customers are tourists paying for various package deals that we offer. For personal use, Wolf ammunition might not be the best solution.

gf

Wolf is good ammunition if you're simply chucking lead down range. I work at an indoor range where we use Wolf .45 ACP in our rental Glock 21 pistols. We retire the guns after around 10k rounds. At around the 9k round point, the slide slide begins to show excessive wear around the hole where the striker comes through. Between the 9.5k and 10k round point, the slide either cracks or gets too rounded out to be considered "safe". I've replaced chipped extractors on a few guns at around the 5K round point. The extractor is a fairly inexpensive part and only takes me a few minutes to replace.

We have a couple of other models chambered in .45 ACP that show the same wear. A Sig GSR was recently retired after 1,100 rounds due to a cracked slide.

If you're going to be shooting an extremely high amount of rounds in a very short time, then I would recommend staying away from Wolf ammunition. We use it for our rental guns due to the low cost. The money we save on ammo justifies replacing the rental guns after shooting 9k to 10k rounds. Most of the customers are tourists paying for various package deals that we offer. For personal use, Wolf ammunition might not be the best solution.

gf

good info... thanks for the post.

I'll give you $100.

...We retire the guns after around 10k rounds...
gf

Let me know when you're retiring your Glocks. I'll give you a couple of bucks for a 21 with 10k through it.

My 26 has >15k through it. Of that, 40% Wolf, 40% WWB and UMC, and the remaining 20% Blazer/reloads/other assorted factory ammo. No problems.

I started using Wolf 115gr FMJ for IDPA. It is very accurate ammunition and I don't worry about other people rangering up (stealing) all my fired brass. I shoot good stuff on other days when I can spend soem time to round up my own brass.

variety

I've tried lots of different brands of ammunition....mag-tech, federal , double-tap etc for a variety of different guns, but have stayed away from the Wolf because of the reviews on serveral different sites. over 90%+ all say its dirty and I just dont want to shoot dirty ammo. if its dirty its causing a higher level of wear.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back