Winter ammo?

duward

With winter quickly approaching and people wearing heavier and layered clothing, what type of ammo do you carry? FMJ or hollow point? Usually, I carry 9mm hollow point 147 grain Hornady in my pistol. What do you think is the best winter ammo?

This is always the debate. Sometimes the hollow points do "plug" and go straight through like an FMJ would, but I still like my chances with a hollow point. Better ballistics and less liability for over penetration, especially in larger caliber guns usually carried in the winter, as we wear more clothes and can conceal a larger weapon. As for me, I just recently changed from Black Talon/SXT rounds to the new Hornaday Critical Defense ammo. I carry it year round in all of my weapons, from .40 to the .357 or the pocket .380. The rubber tip in the cavity is supposed to help with expansion through heavier clothing, and the tests I have seen have convinced me. They also seem to feed much more smoothly in the automatics than some sharp ended hollow points, such as the Golden Saber.

I once read that the only ammo for carry is JHP, and I agree for two reasons:
1) Expansion increases the desired effect
2) Ball ammo is more prone to go through and strike other things behind the target
I have used Federal Hydra-Shok 180g/.40 cal as my standard carry round because of the post that is supposed to keep the cavity clear of windshield glass and fabric, and allows for expansion (plug the cavity and it affects expansion I am told). But I recently came across and bought a case of the Federal HST 165g which hits harder than the Hydra 180g according to Federal's ballistics.

i too carry the winchester ranger talons in my xd-sc 40, but when winter hit i box them up and use either winchester pdx-1 or hornaday critical defense. sometimes ill even use pow'er ball ammo to, has the same concept of the CD, but uses a polomer ball insted of a red tip plug.

Why use FMJ? At worst, the HP will clog and become - for all intents and purposes - FMJ. Seems to me that if you use FMJ then you've already thrown in the towel.

I don't switch ammo based on seasons. I think the best carry ammo is the ammo you can put on target. For 9mm take a long hard look at the standard pressure federal HST 147gr. Amazing performance year round.

When winter comes, I generally switch from my 9mm to .45acp. I still carry the Fed Hydra-shok. But this year i may be switching over to Fed Guard Dog ammo. If i do carry 9mm, I switch over to the Magtech gold +P 124grn load.

I don't subscribe to the summer/winter ammo debate - it has all the earmarks of a manufacturer created 'issue' just to sell more ammo. I carry the same ammo year round...its familiar, I know it will feed and fire, and I know where the round is going.

Wait does this mean we need to buy CCW towels as well?

You mean you don't have yours yet??? I've got them in several colors....that way I can let everyone know that I'm a member of the Bad Boyz Club and have it match whatever I'm wearing!

I don't subscribe to the summer/winter ammo debate - it has all the earmarks of a manufacturer created 'issue' just to sell more ammo. I carry the same ammo year round...its familiar, I know it will feed and fire, and I know where the round is going.

I agree and couldnt help make myself laugh at the thought of seasonal bullets, just like Sam Adams seasonal beer.

.40SW winter blend, blended with the finest of grains with a little added warm spices for the seasons greetings. Encased in Christmas colored brass, and a small wreath to hang from the front of your gun.
Haha

Hornady Critical Defense. All calibers, all the time, all year round. Watch the test videos on the Hornady website, and then do some of your own if you're inclined. You'll be a believer.

When outside in very cold weather, I prefer FMJs. Any other time, I prefer JHPs. I have no data to back me up on my choices. But it seems reasonable to me, that FMJs will produce better penetration through multiple layers of heavy clothing.

I have used Federal Hydra-Shok 180g/.40 cal as my standard carry round because of the post that is supposed to keep the cavity clear of windshield glass and fabric, and allows for expansion (plug the cavity and it affects expansion I am told). But I recently came across and bought a case of the Federal HST 165g which hits harder than the Hydra 180g according to Federal's ballistics.
Lighter bullets generally penetrate less, all else being equal, which happens more when going through thicker clothing. This has been borne out many times in real world testing. If anything, I'd tend to go with a heavier bullet in winter, not a lighter one. What ballistics from Federal are you basing this on?

First, .45 ACP. If the bullet doesn't expand properly, it's still big and heavy.

I prefer 230 grain Hydra-shok, but have some 230 grain SXT and Golden Saber. Any of those will do. And if my spare mags have ball in them, I still don't feel inadequately armed.

Unless you are using the Glaser or Mag Safe MOST likely to expand and fragment, I don't see any reason to change for cold weather. Besides, even in warm weather, you might have to shoot through a car door/window or through the other guy's concealment. :biggrin:

Most JHP that I've tested will spread just a little even when "plugged" producing a squared profile at the nose. Even this failed expansion is better than the slick profile of FMJ. I use 124gr. GoldDot in my normal carry gun and have never had it fail.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back